+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Are you sharing your baby names, or keeping them a secret?

Hi All,

Still early in our pregnancy & very few people know we are pregnant BUT when we've been asked about potential baby names & shared them - we have had some shocking reactions!

Which leads me to the conclusion that we should probably just keep our baby names to ourselves (but share them on bub hub!) to avoid all of the 'I don't like that', 'oh no, the first name & surname cant start with an e sound', 'too short, too long', 'I knew an awful boy/girl with that name' responses. Once bubs arrives, everyone will be too polite to comment negatively, right?

Thoughts? How did you deal with the naysayers? Did it change your mind?

I'm thinking of choosing a god awful boy & girl name and just telling people that's what it is until bubs arrives and we release the actual name.

In public, when someone tells me their potential baby names, I might give an opinion if they are tossing a few up, otherwise I just say, 'that's lovely', because at the end of the day - its the parents that have to be happy with it! (My responses are different on bub hub obviously because people are actually seeking opinions).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No, both times we've never told anyone - really for that reason.

I know that even if I loved a name, if people were rude about it/ said they didn't like it, then it would niggle away at me and make me feel sad about it.

Also, we haven't had many surprises with either pregnancy (fertility treatment, and everyone knew we were doing it, found out the sex, and then c-sections), so I figured the name was one thing we could 'keep back' as a surprise!

People have to be nice (to your face) once the baby is born, so I reckon it's best to avoid their reactions in case it makes you doubt yourself.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We were going to keep it a secret but we have told all our family. No one has had negative reactions, maybe because we said "his name IS Toby, no ifs or buts". Or maybe everyone genuinely likes it?!

Haven't told and won't tell other people though as a general rule

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Funchu  (04-06-2013),mrskc  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We're keeping it a secret when we decide on one... Last time we told people and someone in my family stole our name middle name and all. So we're keeping our lips sealed this time around!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

siennasyummymummyxxx  (04-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    We're keeping it a secret when we decide on one... Last time we told people and someone in my family stole our name middle name and all. So we're keeping our lips sealed this time around!
    Woah! Not cool!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We told first time but kept DD3's name a secret except for family. Mostly because I didn't want friends who were expecting at the same time to use it lol.
    Have never had a negative reaction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First baby .. Didnt tell many .. We did use it when ordering from juice boost .. To hear how it sounded and to see if we got comments ect ..
    This baby .. Well our 4 year old tells everyone !

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

Funchu  (04-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We kept it a secret both times. I'd seen it go so wrong for others when they shared names, somehow people think it's their responsibility to talk parents out of various names - eg. "you can't call her that, I know a girl of the same name and she's horrible!". Unless you name your child something really weird, or as in someone at my MIL's work who didn't name their child for well over a month, no-one will say anything (yep, when over a month had passed and that bub still didn't have a name even my MIL said something!).

When you are mentioning names when you are pregnant it's an abstract thing for people. It's 'just a name'. But, once your bub is born and named suddenly they put a cute little face to that name and people won't care if they knew someone of that name 20 years ago who annoyed them. Suddenly that person won't come to mind so readily when that name is mentioned - they have a vision of a cute newborn instead.

My brother & SIL put a shortlist of names on their fridge and asked us to vote when they were pregnant with #1. Problem was we were pregnant too, and due at the same time with a bub of the same gender and most of their names were also on our list! They chose a name in the end that wasn't on our list and I nearly put it on a blanket for the bub, but then a few days before bubs was born they changed the name again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, when someone asks you the potential name/s and you reply - that wasn't me asking for an opinion! So responding with 'Nooooooooo' (one of my favourite responses) is not cool!

We are likely to tell immediately family only Rainbow Road, as we have faith that they will be more accepting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love Toby. I had a big crush on a Toby when I was a young teenager & he was sooo cute!

I also love the "Boost Juice" test. I think I'll try that one when I'm pregnant. I intend to keep names Top Secret (even on bubhub) until the day baby is born.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app