+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Post General anaesthetic, 18 months...

I posted yesterday about my DS being diagnosed with a serious health condition. At that point I didn't realise how rare it is so it was be unusual for anyone to have experiences with it.

So, I'm hoping some others here might have experience with toddlers having CT scans and MRI under general anaesthetic. DS is 18 months and will be under going both and I'm just wondering how to prepare? I really have no idea what to expect and any advice is welcomed. TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD had a brain MRI under GA when she was 12 months old.

She coped totally fine with it. I was a mess!

They let me stay with her until she was sedated, and then they came and got me as she was waking, so she didn't even realise I was gone.

She a bit groggy for about 15 minutes tops, and then was cruising around like normal!

All the best, I hope he is ok xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

babyla  (04-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks so much! How long did it take? Were you able to go home straight away? How did they sedate her? Sorry lots of questions, yesterday I had no idea what to ask and then overnight my brain has not stopped ticking!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's totally understandable. It couldn't have been more than 30 minutes I don't think. It was over 2 years ago now, so I can't remember exactly though.

To sedate her, they had a gas mask with a strawberry scent that supposedly kids like. They let me hold her while they put her to sleep. When she was asleep they put a canula in with the contrast die (you might not need that).

They asked me to hang around for about an hour afterwards, but she was totally fine so they sent me home and just told me to call if I was worried about anything.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

babyla  (04-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks that's all really reassuring - I think he does have the contrast too. Is your DD ok now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Small children cope fine under GA sadly its the parents who get more upset. It can be very traumatic for parents watching their little one go off to sleep as its quite a funny feeling and they don't understand at all why they will feel sleepy and dizzy but generally come out of it ok. At 18months they aren't too bad, they are much worse from 4-5 years as they fight the anaesthetic cause they don't want to go to sleep so it can be a long process for them.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll both be fine. Always good to make sure you have dad or a support person there for you in case you get emotional and upset during the process

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wobblermummy For This Useful Post:

babyla  (04-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks wobblermummy! We'll have both of us there. I've heard watching it can be a bit distressing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to hear you will be there together to support each other and there together when bubs wakes up. Will all be forgotten by the next day and they will not think about it again

I used to nurse in a kids hospital and we used to be there to help support the parents and give them hugs as much as the child as it can be distressing. I'm glad parents are allowed to be there now though I had many surgeries when I was little and 25 years ago I was never allowed my mum near me once i left my hospital room and she was never allowed in recovery, time has improved a lot of things.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wobblermummy For This Useful Post:

babyla  (04-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there. I'm not sure where you are at with things now but my daughter had surgery at 16 months and a CT (possibly still needing the MRI). She did really well. We actually managed to do the CT of her head while she was awake! This was all at the start of May. She recovered from her surgery and anesthetic really well. She was wanting Daddy that day so Dad took her in. I had warned him that she would start thrashing around a bit and her eyes would roll back in her head which he was grateful for otherwise he wouldn't have been expecting it. Best wishes. xx