+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default One for the ladies who's DH has had a SA

This is more a question to ease DH's mind. He's having a bit of a freak out. Well, there's two questions really, one more for the ladies who have been through IVF with their DH.

1- The andrology lab told DH he has to e.jaculate 2-3 days before his test and no longer than 5 days before. He did last night and his test is Thurs morning, so that's 2 and a half days which I said was fine, he's worried it should have been 3 days. I said if they say 2-3 then just over 2 days is fine, but maybe some other opinions will ease his mind. At the end of the day, it's only to confirm what we already know so there's no big difference really but I'd like him to feel comfortable about it.

2- What happens if DH gets stage fright on egg collection day when doing IVF, has this happened to anyone before and what happens if it does happen? He's so worried about it that I'm actually concerned he will stress himself in to not being able to perform.

Thanks heaps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Cant help on question 2, but from what I understand, they break it down to one ml samples and give a result of that 1ml sample. So tell him if he is worried about the total amount in cup, then it shouldnt make any difference. If it is the quality he is worried about, then I would agree that half a day shouldnt make much difference. And like any testing, I think it depends on the pathologist working on that day . (some may be more experienced than others.) there is a chance that it could be a better result than last time even with less days of abstinance. Good luck
    I do feel sorry for our dh's sometimes

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (04-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, thats what I thought too. I do feel sorry for them too, its such a personal thing to be doing on demand!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Butterfly
    2 1/2 days sounds perfect. There should be plenty to test.
    As for the stage fright...it is possible for your dh to go in before your egg collection, like a week or more, to collect his sample and have it frozen just in case.
    Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PoppyLoppy For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If your really worried about performance on the day talk to the clinic about freezing a sample... After he does his SA later this week he'll know what to expect (I presume this will be done at the clinic??) so he might feel a little more at ease with the whole thing :-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Tell him not to worry!

DH has done quite a few SAs now, he's never had a problem with producing a sample. Sure it's a little uncomfortable but I'm told it's not as bad as it seems!

2.5days is fine. I think the main thing is that it hasn't been in the last 24hrs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dh was so bad with stage fright that for our first round he had an anesthetic and sperm collected via TESA (needle aspirate)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Waggers70 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    3 days is fine!!!

if DH is suffering from stage fright he prob wont get the best sample from ejaculation, but also depends how his sample is now - ie: low motility etc. my DH has low quality and quality and our last stim had no seman found in his sample on EPU day, so after epu we had to wait around for the FS to first try fine needle aspiration (which didn't find any) then the needle biopsy (which found none in the left testie) then luck was on our side and after another biopsy on his right, they were able to find just enough sperm to ICSI our 6 eggs!!!!

As to the freezing of your DHs sperm as a backup - this is only really recommended if you DH has high quality sperm as it the unfreezing process that may reduce quality again.

Good luck to you and you DH xo

15. The Following User Says Thank You to crofty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for all the advice, I appreciate it. DH has low morphology which the FS said won't change no matter what he does because it's part of his DNA. I didn't know about the TESA, hopefully that's an option if we go down that path. I'm kind of glad he's having another SA done (The first one was at home and he brought it in to a lab, this one's in an andrology clinic) because he will get to see what it's like and might realise that it's not as bad as he thinks. I told him to bring in his own material on his ipod because I have heard some guys complain about what's available, hahahaha. All jokes aside, it must be terrifying, especially on egg collection day when you're stressed about everything else and then you have to produce a sample or the eggs don't get fertilised!