+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Your tips for studying with a baby

Ok, so I've decided I'm getting back into study in August. I'm due with #1 this month, so I'll have a newborn too.

I'd love some tips on what worked for you for studying with a new bub or even if your children are a bit older

My study isn't at uni so I won't need to go to classes or anything. I might have sessions to attend bit I imagine these won't be very often.

I really want to do well so any tips will be great! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I studied full time when my kids were 5 and 2. What worked for me was having routines (we started routines when the kids were babies itself) and knowing them helped me plan my studies. I also did my readings whenever I could rather than wait till night when the kids were asleep. Whenever the kids fell sick or something unexpected came up like DH's travel, knowing that I had already done my weekly readings and made notes helped a lot. Oh and if you're using references in assignments, make note of them as you plan your points. I used to waste so much time formatting and going back to references at the last moment!
    Also planning with food and things especially around the time assignments were due. I found that people in the family really struggle along with the person who studies, as there are so many changes and sacrifices. Although since you're studying long distance it may be different. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to loveshack For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (09-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My tip: learn how to breastfeed and type one handed at the same time.

I've almost acquired a diploma online since having DD 20months ago (Currently on placement and almost finished). Only problem now is she still associates the computer with having a feed, and still clambers all over me whenever I sit here, lol.

Otherwise every afternoon nap was my study time. (I can't study at night, too unmotivated by then)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bugsy For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (05-06-2013),αληθη  (12-06-2013),troopingfairy  (09-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fantastic tips!!! Thank you ladies

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Teenz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Work every day. Do your research, read your research, then write your essay.

When the baby is grizzly or wanting attention, move on and do somethjng else. Don't try to keep going if its not happening.

Be honest with yourself. You need to want this.

I did a degree whilst having 3 babies in 3 years.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^^ Thank you that is really inspirational! I'll think of you when I feel like procrastinating lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just gotten back into study and my bub is 1. It's early days for me yet but I'm finding that doing a little bit each day is helping. I put my lectures on my iPhone and listen to them in the car or when I'm out for a walk. When I first listen to them/watch the power point presentation, DH takes bub so I can knuckle down and take notes but then I go over it all again in my mind when in the car/walking.

Break up your assignments - if you have a 1000 word essay due in 8 weeks, try to do 150 words a week, then use your last week to go over it all and make sure it's top notch before you submit it.

Talk to your fellow students - online study includes forums where you can get to know everyone (including your lecturers and tutors) and its also good to bounce ideas off people.

Good luck

12. The Following User Says Thank You to IvyRain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am Also curious about this because I applied to study before finding out I was pregnant. My fiancé thinks it will be really easy. I think he's being naive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing :-)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can't tell you what has actually worked for me because she's not due for another couple weeks but I decided to not defer next semester so Ill tell you what I plan to do (which is just a modification of what I already do lol).
    - baby sling. I study on campus so ill wear bub to tutes but also should help if bub is being sooky or needs a feed.
    - bouncer next to where I'm studying/tummy time while doing readings (prob get annoying going back and forth from reading to bub but if you're highlighting you won't lose your place too much and then you'll have your highlighted bits as a summary to read over proper later).
    - watching lectures with the PowerPoints (it really sucks when you get lecturers who only give you either PowerPoints or the audio and not both lol) and make your notes to put somewhere that you can keep looking over to get it in your head (five minutes every now and then of reading notes makes a huge difference)

I'm really bad at studying and essays - I'm a last minute girl. I'm even procrastinating an essay and studying for an exam both due tomorrow lol.

Sent from my talky stick