+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is it possible to only ovulate from one ovary?

Hello
    I am 22 and my DH is 26.
    DS is 13 months and we have just started trying for baby #2.

It took us 10 months to conceive DS which GP thought was odd as we are both young and healthy. We started having tests but everything came back normal and we fell pregnant shortly after.

Before DS was born I had a 35 day cycle but now my cycle seems to be about 29 days.

I started using an OPK last week as I knew from my charts that ovulation was coming up. Over about 6/7 days I never got a positive test.

I was thinking I might keep doing the OPK for another week just in case AF is late but I'm wondering if it is possible that I'm not ovulating from one ovary - which also explains why it took us so long to fall pregnant with DS as well.

Any advice/suggestions on how exactly to be sure of this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I guess it's possible, but it's probably more likely that you're not picking up ovulation on your tests. You mentioned charts so I'm assuming you're doing temperature charts? Are they consistently showing a temp rise each month to indicate ovulation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think the best way to find out would be to go get hormone tests at the doctors. I got them when I was being diagnosed with polycystic ovaries 10 years ago to make sure I was ovulating. I don't think the home OPK tests are very reliable, certainly not as sure as a blood test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No my charts are just my dates, not temps. I had testing done before I fell pregnant with my son and everything looked normal in bloods and ultrasounds. I doubt that every test I have done is faulty that's why im asking. This time is supposed to be alot more relaxed than last time so I won't be visiting the GP for at least a few months unless next month my OPKs show that I am ovulating and the following month they don't again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I only mentioned it because I know I'm ovulating every month (have done blood tests and I also have painful ovulation) but my OPKs often don't show a clear positive. It's so easy to miss the surge.

You might be having the occasional anovulatory month, it's hard to know unless you get a blood test every month which isn't much fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey Jesskamay, I'm also 22 and my fiancé is 24 we have been trying for about 6 months and I also think that I only ovulate from one ovary as when I am ovulating I only ever get pinching on my right side I'm thinking I should go get some tests done to check it out now that you mention it lol because being this young we shouldn't have to many issues with trying to conceive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Amandale1727 View Post
    Hey Jesskamay, I'm also 22 and my fiancé is 24 we have been trying for about 6 months and I also think that I only ovulate from one ovary as when I am ovulating I only ever get pinching on my right side I'm thinking I should go get some tests done to check it out now that you mention it lol because being this young we shouldn't have to many issues with trying to conceive.
    Yeh that's exactly why I was concerned. If I was older I could understand having some issues conceiving - and like I said, even my GP was genuinely concerned last time. I'm just gonna give it two more months of OPKs and see how I go before getting tests. Hopefully because I've been pregnant in the last 18 months my body will remember what to do lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Opk's dont work for everyone, I used them for 12 months whilst TTC#2 and despite falling pregnant twice (one m/c and one is now a healthy almost 3yr old) I never had a positive OPK.

Can you perhaps try a different brand?

ETA: oh and I was only 22 when we started TTC #2 so was quite young also and it still took 12 months to get a sticky pregnancy. It can be very disheartening.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah it's possible. My left ovary is dead so I ovulate out of my right every month. I used to only ovulate every second month but since my third son it has been every month!!

Me -30, DH -30, DS -7, DS -5, DS -2 and UTD with #4 Due Jan 2014

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Most of the time I only ovulate from one as my other has a big cyst on it. I used to ovulate roughly every second month but now it's all over the place. I'm 26.