+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 9.5 months, 7.5kgs, eats like a bird

I'm hoping some of you may have experiences to share with babies not gaining weight when they have a low appetite. DS was growing really well until 6 months but hasn't gained any real weight since then. He was born in the 10th percentile for weight, quickly gained up to the 50th percentile by 3 months old and then slowed down. He's now well below the graph for 9.5 months.

He's bf and been on solids since 6 months. I'm doing a bit of a combo of purees and finger foods three times a day. He almost always refuses the second breast except for right before bed, preferring instead to feed twice as often, so he's bf 6-8 times per day! Similarly, he rarely eats much solids - sometimes 3 teaspoons is all I can get into him and he just makes a huge mess with the finger food without ingesting very much.

Some people have suggested putting him on formula which I really don't want to do and don't think it would change much anyway, as he just wants to eat like a bird. I tried spacing out his bfs to 4 hourly to see if it would make him more hungry so he might take both breasts but he still only took one after 4 hours so that tactic was going to make him even more tiny.

Has anyone dealt with a bub like this? Should I be worried? Any tips much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey,

My son turned 2 in May and he has just cracked the 11kg mark. He is little and doesn't eat a lot ever!. I used to really worry about it but if he is hungry he will eat. Some kiddies just aren't big eaters :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't really help with weights etc, but wanted to say that my DD is bf but I have started using formula in her cereal / museli as I can't be bothered expressing anymore. I use the sachets which makes 120 ml and give the whole lot throughout the day. At the end, of the day I give the leftovers to her to drink in a cup, straight from the fridge.

That might be a good way to get some formula into him.

I'll also add that my 7 year old niece only weighs 18kg. My family are tiny and we were also very small as kids. We are all very healthy, just on the skinny side...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD was still breastfeeding 10 -12 times a day (24 hours) at 12 months of age. She was also a slow grower, i think she just had a fast metabolism. She didn't really start taking in solids til 8-9 months, and it took til 12 months to get decent amounts in.

Both my kids have generally only taken one side when they feed. When we were a bit worried about DDs weight, i would feed and then offer a top up at the breast 20-30 mins later. Sometimes she would feed, other times not so much.

Milk would still be main way of increasing weight at this age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD was still breastfeeding 10 -12 times a day (24 hours) at 12 months of age. She was also a slow grower, i think she just had a fast metabolism. She didn't really start taking in solids til 8-9 months, and it took til 12 months to get decent amounts in.

Both my kids have generally only taken one side when they feed. When we were a bit worried about DDs weight, i would feed and then offer a top up at the breast 20-30 mins later. Sometimes she would feed, other times not so much.

Milk would still be main way of increasing weight at this age.