+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What would you do? Fast answers please!

Entire situation:

Ex-DP and I have 50/50 custody of our daughter. She has just settled in to this and is happy. I have "moved" 3 times since leaving him a year ago, and am currently unemployed, not studying anymore (health issues) and living with Mum, my two brothers and my brothers girlfriend.

We have been told by our real estate to be out by June 21st. We have applied for four rentals, all to be declined. Mum found out today apparently she has had too many "arrears" notices - all of which have not been within the last 4 years or so, they've all been before that, but our real estate are jerks (and when we met the owners for the first time they agreed - although we don't have their personal details). So it isn't looking good for Mum getting a rental.

My brother and his girlfriend are both employed and able to get a rental (I imagine) by themselves. Neither have a rental history. My other brother is not working, and is on Job Seeker (but due to health reasons hasn't been forced to seek work, just have appt's at job agencies) so isn't really able to support himself. I get PPS, FTB A & B and CS. I would (very tightly) be able to manage around $200/week in rent. Just. I don't have bond, but DP (who lives interstate - we don't share finances or anything like that so I still am absolutely a "single mother" in the sense of the word) is happy to lend me bond money. I don't have any source of income aside from Centrelink, however am looking for full-time work. I have a Cert III in Aged Care - however with my daughter I can really only look at community work as the hours with facility work are really hard!

Here is my question... We HAVE to be out by June 21st, all of us. Am I an awful person for looking at relocating to possibly a share house (or if I can be accepted an NRAS house - I have had and broken a lease once before however so don't know/like my chances) to safeguard myself and my daughter from having to either be homeless, or live in an extremely undesirable area?

I want to KNOW that we are safe, and have a roof over our heads. We will struggle, at least at first, but I need to know she will have a roof over her head. I feel for Mum, and she will essentially have nowhere to go (my sister will probably have to take her and my other brother in).

I guess I feel like a traitor, and feel really guilty. But my daughter needs to come first and shouldn't be disadvantaged because my parents before she was born were unable to pay rent in full or on time at some point.

My other question is, what kind of support services are available for single parents? I've had and broken only one lease in my lifetime - my housemate was awful and I was practically supporting her and ran myself broke so had to move home. I've had one awful experience house-sharing before where the other housemate and I had to make a run for it at 11pm with my daughter as he has sexually harrassed her and was really unsafe to be around (passed out drunk out the back in the middle of winter shirtless - after harrassing this girl). She reported him to the police - hence my reluctance to share a house. Although it is definitely the most affordable option.

So, essentially: WWYD???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i would be moving with my child...the other adults need to take care of themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be looking for a rental ASAP. Borrow the bond money. Maybe if you have another look at your finances you might find you can afford more than $200/week rent. Don't forget you'll get rent assistance.

But I'd also be looking for a friend that you can crash at incase you can't find a rental in time.

Also can your mum mind your daughter while you work? Even if it's just a couple of shifts a week it will help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Ring centrelink first thing in the morning and see if you can get a appointment with a social worker. You might be able to get a bond loan with them. Your dd has to come before anyone else. You need to feel safe. So i would start there and see where they suggest you go from there.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

lucymoo  (03-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be moving with my child. Everyone can deal with it and find their own solution. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    But I'd also be looking for a friend that you can crash at incase you can't find a rental in time.

Also can your mum mind your daughter while you work? Even if it's just a couple of shifts a week it will help.
    I do have a friend who will have me, but her hubby has just come back from Afghanistan (literally, on Thursday) and they have a 3mo bub so I'd prefer not to have to IYKWIM.

Also, Mum is unreliable as she works away often on short notice, and works FT also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is your care arrangement a week on/a week off? I wonder if you would be able to find casual work that's flexible enough to allow you to work only in your off week? Or even agency work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Why don't you get a place & offer to have your mum live with you as well.. I don't entirely agree with the other posters saying to let the adults fend for themselves. I wouldn't knowingly let my mum have nowhere to go.. Especially after she took you in (I assume after you & your partner broke up). As for your brothers.. I agree they should fend for themselves. But I wouldn't let your mum have nowhere to go... I would at least offer her a place with you & your daughter if you get accepted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Lucy

I'm not sure what state you are in but in WA department of housing will lend you bond and first 2 weeks rent ( you pay back an agreed amount over time)

What are the rents like where you live price wise, is it possible to get something for $200 pw?

Is a caravan a short term affordable option?

A shared situation could be good with the right person, perhaps another mum with a child a similar age to your DD.

Sorry you are in this situation Lucy, keep us updated xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Is your care arrangement a week on/a week off? I wonder if you would be able to find casual work that's flexible enough to allow you to work only in your off week? Or even agency work?
    He has her on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday nights and every 2nd Saturday night. I have her in daycare already on Tuesday and Wednesday days (she needs it!!! Plus up until recently I've been studying) so its only really Monday and Sunday that are issues, and then anything outside daycare hours on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, then Wednesday nights I drop her to her dad's house at 5pm which is half an hour away (from here, I'm searching for places closer to his house).