+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Short cervix.. Help? Advice? I'm worried

Hi, I hope someone out there can help with any advice or stories. Friday just gone I had my anatomy scan at 19weeks 5 days and they did two measurements of my cervix at the end of the scan one was 22mm and the next was 21mm I read online it should be around 40mm.

I live in Perth and was going public I have a docs appt Tuesday because of the long weekend I couldn't get in earlier.. I'm so terrified I might lose my little boy.. The lady that did the ultrasound said I was high risk now. Has anyone else had this because none of my family or friends have heard of it.

At what measurement did you go on bed rest? I've been taking it easy this weekend lying down at every chance I get. I hope someone responds I feel like like I'm going to explode :'(
    thanks xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes I also had a shortened cervix at 22 mm , it was discovered at 24 weeks

Firstly try not to stress, I had my DS at a scheduled c section at 38+5 no problems at all - I had to have weekly ultrasounds until 30 weeks, then fortnightly just to check my cervix, I also had progesterone pessaries for 30 days and was not on bed rest but was told not to exercise and to put my feet up and rest when I could - mine did not get any shorter and it actually was reassuring seeing my OB every week and the baby!

I'm sure they will have a plan for you and yes it's scary but please don't think the worst , just take it a week at a time and try to relax and stay positive

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

jesskate  (03-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can understand how you feel. I gave birth at 20 weeks in my first pregnancy and it was believed it was partially due to cervical problems. In my second pregnancy I was having cervical u/s from 13 weeks.... my measurements were 14mm I was terrified. I went to term! One thing to remember is if your cervix isnt funneling thats a good sign. If you are super woried just try to rest. I always had a pillow under my bum bringing pressure off my cervix on bed rest in hospital. .... advised by the doctors. They should organise more cervical u/s to monitor you. Was it abdominal or internal ultrasound? ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to missymoo9 For This Useful Post:

jesskate  (03-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you both for your replies

elijahsmum- congrats that is awesome to hear that there is definitely hope and yes I do need to stay positive and try not to worry, it is hard but I will it's my first child and since going public will just need to be more organised with the hospitals ob , glad you had a great outcome

missymoo9 - I'm so sorry to hear about your loss that must have been so hard. I get confused with who to see because I don't actually have an obstetrician at the moment and still see my normal gp but will sort that out tomorrow n call the hospital I'm going to.. They did an internal ultrasound at the end of the scan I hear that's more accurate.

Better to be safe than sorry so I think ill take it easy for a little bit and see if anything changes.
    Thank you xxx