+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Selfish anti-vaccination conspiracy theorists putting Australia at risk

not sure if this was posted ..but I LOVE IT!!!

My body's a deadly weapon. So is yours.

While spending time with my father in hospital earlier this year, I had one of those moments of realisation that forever shifts your perspective.
    Dad's hospital floor was full of people with seriously compromised immune systems: cancer patients, old men recovering from major surgery, ladies with chronic pain. They were among the most vulnerable people in our society: fragile, frail bodies as defenceless as tiny babies.
    If I'd walked in to visit Dad with a simple case of influenza, let alone a more serious communicable disease, I could have killed the entire ward in one cough.
    For the first time, I realised the true value of vaccines, not to prevent me from having a pesky flu but to save the lives of vulnerable people who can't fight off diseases - the elderly, the young, the immuno-compromised.
    I went and got the flu vaccine. I stayed away from coughers and sneezers as much as I could.
    And then I had another moment of realisation. I became pregnant with my first baby, and my husband and I started checking out childcare centres.
    Sometime in the coming year, my husband and I will be bundling up our little person-to-be and carrying him through the door of a lovely local centre.
    Our baby will be too young to have finished his full course of vaccinations for deadly diseases like whooping cough, polio and measles.
    That means if another child brings those diseases into the childcare centre, our baby is at risk of serious illness or death.
    The possibility makes me feel ill. I've seen the footage, as you probably have, of babies coughing with whooping cough - and children from earlier generations trapped in iron lungs, or smiling bravely from their wheelchairs. I've seen the beggars of India and southeast Asia, disabled by diseases that are now, thank God, vaccine-preventable.
    And yet in beautiful, clean, wealthy Australia, we have a class of selfish, often wealthy, women who refuse to vaccinate their children.
    Yes, I am blaming women here. It's the mothers of Mosman and Clovelly, of Randwick and Kirribilli, who are refusing to vaccinate their kids because they read something once on the internet about how the MMR vaccine causes autism.
    That's not true - and nor are any of the other "theories" about vaccines. They don't cause brain damage. They don't cause respiratory illnesses.
    There is no good reason to refuse vaccination for your child. None at all. I don't care what you've read on Mumsnet or Facebook. If you have a PhD in immunology, you have a right to challenge the expert medical consensus of the World Health Organisation, governments at all levels and the Australian Medical Association.
    If you're just a citizen with a broadband connection - sorry, you don't have the right to deny the life-saving benefits of vaccination to my child or anyone else's.
    Some children - a tiny minority - are allergic to some vaccines. Those children desperately need the rest of us to be immunised so they don't have to be put at risk as they go through a modified vaccine schedule or avoid certain vaccines altogether.
    But that is the same as any other kind of allergy. Plenty of people are allergic to grass or dairy products. That doesn't mean front lawns and ice-cream should be banned for everyone. It just means if you are allergic, you need to be careful and the rest of us in society need to make sure we do everything we can to help you protect yourself.
    The same logic must apply to vaccines.
    My fears about our unborn baby prompted me to start a campaign in The Sunday Telegraph and The Daily Telegraph, with the keen support of editors Mick Carroll and Paul Whittaker and all our editorial teams. The reporting was led by Jane Hansen, a journalist who's long been passionate about the importance of vaccination, and others including Sarrah Le Marquand, Sue Dunlevy and Daniela Ongaro.
    We're all delighted with the results so far - tough new laws in NSW to force parents to either vaccinate their kids or formally claim a religious exemption - but the federal government has completely failed to act, and today we continue our pressure on both state and federal administrations to close the remaining loopholes.
    One of the great shames of modern Australia is that we have allowed a vocal lobby group that shamelessly calls itself the "Australian Vaccination Network" (they are vociferously anti-vaccine) to turn the simple medical truth about immunisation into a "debate".
    They propagate myths and untruths about immunisation. They fan fear among otherwise reasonable parents - the mums of affluent Sydney who are, naturally, concerned for their children's wellbeing.
    As you can imagine, our campaign has sent the AVN into a panic. They have attacked me, Paul, Mick, Jane, Sarrah and everyone else in the most personal and disgusting terms. They've accused us of corruption and of being part of a Big Pharma conspiracy (I wish, it sounds lucrative, at least).
    The latest splutter of AVN outrage (from founder Meryl Dorey, a serial conspiracy theorist) is to compare vaccination with the persecution of the Jews during the Holocaust.
    Yep, you read that right.
    And if you are one of those Mosman or Kirribilli parents, remember that: when you ignore the advice of your GP, you're buying the spin of people who think it's OK to invoke the Nazi annihilation of millions of innocent people for their cheap cause.
    That's wrong. So is refusing to vaccinate your child.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national-news...#ixzz2V7wgXhTE

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

babyla  (11-06-2013),beebs  (11-06-2013),dancingchipmunk  (11-06-2013),jellybeanicecream  (11-06-2013),Lauzy83  (03-06-2013),Meld85  (11-06-2013),MissMuppet  (11-06-2013),ozeymumof5  (03-06-2013),RipperRita  (11-06-2013),twomummas  (04-06-2013),wobblermummy  (11-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Too true, when I had my first baby in hospital, a dad had whooping cough without knowing it and came to in to be with his wife and newborn, thank god for staff who noticed his cough sounded like a whoop, he and his wife had to be isolated. I think about that, if they hadn't noticed that could have been an absolute disaster.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    not sure if this was posted ..but I LOVE IT!!!

My body's a deadly weapon. So is yours.

While spending time with my father in hospital earlier this year, I had one of those moments of realisation that forever shifts your perspective.
    Dad's hospital floor was full of people with seriously compromised immune systems: cancer patients, old men recovering from major surgery, ladies with chronic pain. They were among the most vulnerable people in our society: fragile, frail bodies as defenceless as tiny babies.
    If I'd walked in to visit Dad with a simple case of influenza, let alone a more serious communicable disease, I could have killed the entire ward in one cough.
    For the first time, I realised the true value of vaccines, not to prevent me from having a pesky flu but to save the lives of vulnerable people who can't fight off diseases - the elderly, the young, the immuno-compromised.
    I went and got the flu vaccine. I stayed away from coughers and sneezers as much as I could.
    And then I had another moment of realisation. I became pregnant with my first baby, and my husband and I started checking out childcare centres.
    Sometime in the coming year, my husband and I will be bundling up our little person-to-be and carrying him through the door of a lovely local centre.
    Our baby will be too young to have finished his full course of vaccinations for deadly diseases like whooping cough, polio and measles.
    That means if another child brings those diseases into the childcare centre, our baby is at risk of serious illness or death.
    The possibility makes me feel ill. I've seen the footage, as you probably have, of babies coughing with whooping cough - and children from earlier generations trapped in iron lungs, or smiling bravely from their wheelchairs. I've seen the beggars of India and southeast Asia, disabled by diseases that are now, thank God, vaccine-preventable.
    And yet in beautiful, clean, wealthy Australia, we have a class of selfish, often wealthy, women who refuse to vaccinate their children.
    Yes, I am blaming women here. It's the mothers of Mosman and Clovelly, of Randwick and Kirribilli, who are refusing to vaccinate their kids because they read something once on the internet about how the MMR vaccine causes autism.
    That's not true - and nor are any of the other "theories" about vaccines. They don't cause brain damage. They don't cause respiratory illnesses.
    There is no good reason to refuse vaccination for your child. None at all. I don't care what you've read on Mumsnet or Facebook. If you have a PhD in immunology, you have a right to challenge the expert medical consensus of the World Health Organisation, governments at all levels and the Australian Medical Association.
    If you're just a citizen with a broadband connection - sorry, you don't have the right to deny the life-saving benefits of vaccination to my child or anyone else's.
    Some children - a tiny minority - are allergic to some vaccines. Those children desperately need the rest of us to be immunised so they don't have to be put at risk as they go through a modified vaccine schedule or avoid certain vaccines altogether.
    But that is the same as any other kind of allergy. Plenty of people are allergic to grass or dairy products. That doesn't mean front lawns and ice-cream should be banned for everyone. It just means if you are allergic, you need to be careful and the rest of us in society need to make sure we do everything we can to help you protect yourself.
    The same logic must apply to vaccines.
    My fears about our unborn baby prompted me to start a campaign in The Sunday Telegraph and The Daily Telegraph, with the keen support of editors Mick Carroll and Paul Whittaker and all our editorial teams. The reporting was led by Jane Hansen, a journalist who's long been passionate about the importance of vaccination, and others including Sarrah Le Marquand, Sue Dunlevy and Daniela Ongaro.
    We're all delighted with the results so far - tough new laws in NSW to force parents to either vaccinate their kids or formally claim a religious exemption - but the federal government has completely failed to act, and today we continue our pressure on both state and federal administrations to close the remaining loopholes.
    One of the great shames of modern Australia is that we have allowed a vocal lobby group that shamelessly calls itself the "Australian Vaccination Network" (they are vociferously anti-vaccine) to turn the simple medical truth about immunisation into a "debate".
    They propagate myths and untruths about immunisation. They fan fear among otherwise reasonable parents - the mums of affluent Sydney who are, naturally, concerned for their children's wellbeing.
    As you can imagine, our campaign has sent the AVN into a panic. They have attacked me, Paul, Mick, Jane, Sarrah and everyone else in the most personal and disgusting terms. They've accused us of corruption and of being part of a Big Pharma conspiracy (I wish, it sounds lucrative, at least).
    The latest splutter of AVN outrage (from founder Meryl Dorey, a serial conspiracy theorist) is to compare vaccination with the persecution of the Jews during the Holocaust.
    Yep, you read that right.
    And if you are one of those Mosman or Kirribilli parents, remember that: when you ignore the advice of your GP, you're buying the spin of people who think it's OK to invoke the Nazi annihilation of millions of innocent people for their cheap cause.
    That's wrong. So is refusing to vaccinate your child.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national-news...#ixzz2V7wgXhTE

Mel x

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mellybel For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (11-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So true. The childcare centre thing really scares me I really think children who aren't vaccinated unless for a medical reason (as in cancer or immune suppressed) shouldn't be allowed in childcare centres.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

Spotdog  (11-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My child care centre asked for my children's records for vac prior to enrollment I thought this was because they couldn't go into child care unless they were vaccinated?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh no, they absolutely can, they just have to have a CO form signed by a doctor. We can't discriminate based on vaccination status in this country.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I thought for the last few years they had to be.

Guess its the same as them
    Not being able to single out the kids that keep passing nits around - and them being able to go back to school or daycare treated or not! Drives me crazy - rant over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh I agree with the child care Centre thing and add to that school. ..I really don't want to send my dd to a Centre where there are unvaccinated kids.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    My child care centre asked for my children's records for vac prior to enrollment I thought this was because they couldn't go into child care unless they were vaccinated?
    Nope, just need a CO form. The center has to have a record of their vaccination status doesn't mean they have to be vaccinated.