+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    OK well I will admit that when my DD is carrying on like a pork chop I've been known to yell "OMG are you two years old? You're having a tantrum like a toddler!".
    I also say things like this to my six year old, because she's old enough to understand that tantrums are not good ways of expressing herself lol. I wouldn't say it to my 4 year old however because she is still learning to manage her emotions and it would be pointless

Although mine are almost 7 and not quite 4.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarSkull View Post
    I'd take her away from my kids and tell her to get the f*** out of my house before I really lose my temper.
    That's disgusting. I cannot stand people who talk down to others that way. I get cranky when I'm hungry/tired and I'm 24 years old. Why can't a 4 year old get cranky and whinge? Yes it's frustrating but she's the grown up. She needs to help him through him. She needs to understand his frustrations and encourage him to use his words. Not belittle him.
    Sorry, that made me LOL. Really? You don't like people who speak down to others but you would tell someone to get the eff out of your house?

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Abi&Beth  (04-06-2013),beebs  (04-06-2013),DarcyJ  (04-06-2013),haveheart  (04-06-2013),SugarSkull  (04-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    .... He's 4! Obviously he is still learning how to regulate his emotions, especially when over tired! If she were a good nanny, maybe she would have read his signs and dealt with the issue before he got that upset. I'm of the belief that if its not acceptable in a Childcare centre then it isn't acceptable for a nanny in your house.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

javic  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also wanted to add that I think by you asking the question you have actually answered it yourself.

It made you uncomfortable and that is all you need to know. What is fine with one person doesn't have to be fine with you.

If you didn't like the approach don't hire her. Trust your instincts.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to upforroundtwo For This Useful Post:

Bubmum  (04-06-2013),Crumpet87  (04-06-2013),HugsBunny  (04-06-2013),javic  (05-06-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (04-06-2013),MissMuppet  (04-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You need to talk to her, and give her some advice on why this is not okay. Ex nanny here as well, and I have seen some awful things. People who are in charge of other people's children need to be told when they have done the wrong thing, you are saving some other child from the same treatment.
    DD's father called her a baby when she was crying (same age), and I made him get out of the car and walk the rest of the way. It's not a kind way to talk to an obviously distressed child.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubmum For This Useful Post:

javic  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    What's wrong is that she got in his face and belittled him and his feelings. Kids get tired and they get upset and sooky, unable to express themselves and that's ok because they're KIDS. We are the adults and it's up to us, who have the emotional maturity and ability to express ourselves, to suck it up and deal with it.

Belittling a child is never ok, not for a parent and certainly not for a carer though I use the term 'carer' loosely in this case.

ETA - a better response would have been a caring one ie 'oh mate ,I know you're tired. Can you take a few deep breaths for me? There now, what can I do to help?'

Btw, from the OP I don't think it sounds like she was 'calm' at all.
    Not at all OK, for the above reason.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkSmarties For This Useful Post:

javic  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just think she was a bit dumb to say something so contentious in front of the parents.
    What a stupid thing to say.

On the dopeyness basis alone I wouldn't hire her.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

javic  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Sorry, that made me LOL. Really? You don't like people who speak down to others but you would tell someone to get the eff out of your house?
    Yep. When it comes to my kids, I'll stand up for them any day. I don't take **** from anybody. Don't agree with it? Not really my problem. I don't agree with some of the things people say on forums but I don't go out of my way to point it out.
    Last edited by SugarSkull; 04-06-2013 at 17:46.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    You do things your way, I do things my way. We can't all be perfect ; )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    What did you do OP?