Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No it's unacceptable. Move on.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

javic  (03-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    OK well I will admit that when my DD is carrying on like a pork chop I've been known to yell "OMG are you two years old? You're having a tantrum like a toddler!".
    that's your own child, and you are probably at the end of your tether with no escape.

i often ask my husband "how would you feel if a nanny spoke to our child the way you did before?" and he'd agree that he'd fire them in an instant! it's a lot different when it's your own child and you can't just walk out the door and go home!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would have paid her and asked her to leave immediately.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

javic  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd take her away from my kids and tell her to get the f*** out of my house before I really lose my temper.
    That's disgusting. I cannot stand people who talk down to others that way. I get cranky when I'm hungry/tired and I'm 24 years old. Why can't a 4 year old get cranky and whinge? Yes it's frustrating but she's the grown up. She needs to help him through him. She needs to understand his frustrations and encourage him to use his words. Not belittle him.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

javic  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've heard adults say exactly that to young children before. It comes from this idea that little kids want to be big kids, so by asking them 'are you a baby?' They are trying to get the child to think about their age-apprpriate behaviour. As a mum with a toddler I don't think it's effective at all as I'm sure I've said similar along with other heat- of-the-moment nonsense which had no effect!

So I certainly don't think the nanny is evil! But I would be concerned she was getting frustrated so easily and I'd definitely point out that such words are completely ineffective and chat about what is actually effective regarding your son and see how she goes from there. But is probably not hire her if she was bring harsh/frustrated.
    Last edited by eMBe; 03-06-2013 at 21:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it was quite fortuitous your son was tired and whingey etc, as you got to truly 'trial' this Nanny by seeing her in action and knowing first hand that she is definitely NO fit for your family.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

javic  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My thoughts:

1) perhaps your little one still needs a day nap
    2) be cautious about the nanny, but don't go calling 000 yet.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't expect people to be perfect all the time (even if they are being paid), but if they can't be perfect for a short trial period, when they are meant to be impressing you with their awesome professionalism, then yeah, I'd be a bit worried about taking them on.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellymoe For This Useful Post:

javic  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know what I'd say on the spot so would probably contact afterwards saying I didn't think she was suitable and why.
    I've snapped at the girls to behave like big girls but they're my own children.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsOhara For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (04-06-2013),javic  (05-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by javic View Post
    It was then end of the day and my 4 yr old son was getting upset, hungry and tired and could not express what he wanted without whining and crying. I was trying to deal with his little sister and this nanny we had in for a trial to help in afternoons was there. She was calling my son trying to get his attention and then she got in his face and said "you're being a baby! Are you a baby?! Do we need to get you nappies?!". How would you feel if someone caring for your child spoke to them like this? Would it be acceptable? Would you hire them?
    no I wouldn't hire them. She hasn't established a relationship with your son to act so aggressively.

I would also think if she is like that in front of you how would she deal with him when you are not there?

I think it shows a lack of wider skills.

I would find it more acceptable if she took him on his lap, and calmed him and asked him what he wanted.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to upforroundtwo For This Useful Post:

javic  (05-06-2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast