+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Crow View Post
    As a parent of a child with *lots* of allergies (and with texture issues due to being on the spectrum), yes i found it extremely hard!!! There was such a small list of food that DD was willing and able to eat, and to then take into account the allergies of the other kids, it pretty much left her with vegemite on rice cakes only!

The list of "forbidden foods" at DDs kindergarten was:
    Peanuts (obviously)
    Tree nuts
    Sesame seeds
    Bananas
    Kiwi fruit
    Dairy products
    Soy products
    Wheat products
    Strawberries
    Mango
    Blueberries

I actually kicked up a big fuss about it, i thought they went way over the top with the restrictions. Not all of these are anaphylactic triggers. They were banning foods that caused just a tummy ache in some kids!
    They eventually lifted the ban on all but the nuts.
    You're kidding right??! That is very restrictive and would leave me with nothing left to pack DD. I mean fruit??! Come on!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep.
    There was kids with serious allergies - one girl was severely allergic to milk (even topically) and two kids with severe peanut allergies, plus my DD who has a very serious soy allergy. The others however, were more or less "intollerant" to those other foods rather than serious allergies. The kid allergic to bananas was a true allergy, but not anaphylactic.

I'm all for caution and taking allergies seriously, but that was total overkill IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our school has a no nut and no egg policy (in baking is fine, just no hard boiled eggs).

DD2's kindy has a no nut and no egg policy as well, and also no processed or packaged food, or baked treats like pikelets, muffins etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There is no policy at DS's school. I know there's a few kids who have severe peanut allergies, so I don't send anything with nuts. I'd hate to be the cause of a reaction, however indirectly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At DS kindy we have a nut ban and also things that may contain nuts like muesli bars (DS has a severe cashew and pistachio allergy). If there is a child with an egg allergy or any other foods there will be a ban on them too. Currently there are no children with egg allergies so they can bring eggs in (as long as they are fully cooked)

I can understand banning foods which cause severe allergic reactions especially anaphylaxis but I don't think foods that are intolerances should be banned, otherwise we are literally left with nothing to bring in?

What is happening these days with allergies. I remember at school it was so rare to have anyone allergic to foods? It's sad seeing our kids react to so many natural foods now