+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How many allergy restrictions at your daycare/school?

My DD's daycare has restrictions on the kids taking nuts, eggs, fish/seafood and sesame. How many do you have to work around and does it make it hard?

(This is not intended to make anyone who lives with allergies feel bad. Of course I do not degrudge anyone with a child with an allergy the right to feel secure that their child will be safe at daycare)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our daycare provides food but I know we have a severe egg allergy at the centre so I'm always careful if I do have to sent something in. For birthdays they've decided that the easiest thing is for parents to bring a loaf of bread and cook makes fairy bread.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Our daycare provides food
    So jealous of this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD1s school only has a nut restriction. In her class we apparently shouldn't even be sending things that may contain traces of nuts. I'm pretty sure everything these days may contain traces of nuts, so DD only gets a very basic lunch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    My DD's daycare has restrictions on the kids taking nuts, eggs, fish/seafood and sesame. How many do you have to work around and does it make it hard?

(This is not intended to make anyone who lives with allergies feel bad. Of course I do not degrudge anyone with a child with an allergy the right to feel secure that their child will be safe at daycare)
    As a parent of a child with *lots* of allergies (and with texture issues due to being on the spectrum), yes i found it extremely hard!!! There was such a small list of food that DD was willing and able to eat, and to then take into account the allergies of the other kids, it pretty much left her with vegemite on rice cakes only!

The list of "forbidden foods" at DDs kindergarten was:
    Peanuts (obviously)
    Tree nuts
    Sesame seeds
    Bananas
    Kiwi fruit
    Dairy products
    Soy products
    Wheat products
    Strawberries
    Mango
    Blueberries

I actually kicked up a big fuss about it, i thought they went way over the top with the restrictions. Not all of these are anaphylactic triggers. They were banning foods that caused just a tummy ache in some kids!
    They eventually lifted the ban on all but the nuts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Crow View Post
    As a parent of a child with *lots* of allergies (and with texture issues due to being on the spectrum), yes i found it extremely hard!!! There was such a small list of food that DD was willing and able to eat, and to then take into account the allergies of the other kids, it pretty much left her with vegemite on rice cakes only!

The list of "forbidden foods" at DDs kindergarten was:
    Peanuts (obviously)
    Tree nuts
    Sesame seeds
    Bananas
    Kiwi fruit
    Dairy products
    Soy products
    Wheat products
    Strawberries
    Mango
    Blueberries

I actually kicked up a big fuss about it, i thought they went way over the top with the restrictions. Not all of these are anaphylactic triggers. They were banning foods that caused just a tummy ache in some kids!
    They eventually lifted the ban on all but the nuts.
    That is insane!! We currently ban nuts and eggs but I am looking at lifting the ban on eggs as we no longer have a child at the service who is allergic to eggs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the last daycare the girls went to there was a boy that was allergic to so much from latex (so no balloons and carers couldn't use gloves for nappy change time)
    Any creams or powders for nappy rash
    Nuts
    Dairy
    Tomatoes
    Oranges

There is a lot more but can't think this late at night. Poor kid was found out to have these allergies at daycare too which scared the daycare teachers when he needed to be rushed to hospital.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS school is Nut-Free but thats it.
    I worked at his school at the after school care and we had lots of different allergies to have to work with (seafood, lactose intolerant, gluten free, no pork, sesame, nuts, eggs, citrus...the list goes on) but it was THAT hard to work around. Sometimes that child was offered something else in place of whatever they couldnt have or we made 2 batches (eg. Fried rice....we made one with no bacon and one with everything)

Thanks
    Reviews
    School And daycare are nut free, that's all.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Our school has a no nuts policy that's it