+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerFun View Post
    I have friends in Preston - it's an ok area from what I know. It's also on a train route to the CBD. South Morang/Mernda are new suburbs that are very big family areas - prices of rentals are very good, good doctors etc. don't go anywhere near Broadmeadows area, very rough! Have you thought about work opportunities for you or your partner? Job opportunities in the northern suburbs are minimal just so you know can I ask why you were thinking Preston in particular??

Thank you so much for the replies everyone.

Summerfun, we're thinking Preston because dh used to live there years ago. he'll be working in the city, so it won't be too much travel for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another question, is prep equivalent to kindergarten and kinder to preschool?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think Preston is fine, depending on your budget Brunswick or Northcote are right next to Preston but a bit closer to the city and access to heaps of great stuff and public transport. But Preston is family friendly as far as I know! Also Pascoe Vale, Coburg etc in the North, or East Bentleigh and surrounds in the South East. I personally wouldn't live as far out as Broadmeadows or Mernda, I don't have anything against those ares, they're just too far from the city for me.

I agree with Yarraville etc too if you want to be closer to the water.

Prep is the equivalent to NSW Kindergarten (ie the first year of big school), and Kinder here is pre-school (the year before you start school).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaadam View Post
    Another question, is prep equivalent to kindergarten and kinder to preschool?
    Yeah, that's right! Very confusing. Although as of July I believe, the Australian curriculum kicks in, so Australia wide prep will be called Foundation. Much easier when speaking to relatives from interstate Sth east melbourne, glen waverley, wheelers hill area also nice. Good schools and preschools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Parts of Preston are quite good. I'd try to get a property near the tram lines. Northcote, Coburg, Fairfield and Brunswick are good too. Have a nice hip vibe, interesting shops and good public transport. Good mix of different ethnicities.
    I uses to live in Reservoir right next to Preston. I didn't like it much, sometimes I felt unsafe and lots of shops have closed down and makes the area seem a bit dead

If ur willing to live a bit further out parts of epping are nice with heaps of brand new properties and lots of family friendly environments. I was just in epping today visiting friends with a baby and the area where they live had brand new houses, landscaped pathways, lots of parks and playgrounds and there is a train station into the city.

I live in the inner city and I love it. Don't think I'd like to live as far put as even Preston. I like being where the action is

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for all your replies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,
    We lived on the northern beaches, Dee Why, and then moved to Melbourne where my hubby is from. We lived in Ascotvale which I loved and would go back there again if moving to Melbourne.( live in Nz now - where I am from!)
    Moonee Ponds and Flemington nearby cool shops, close to the city, close to tram lines and train stations. Schools at Ascotvale and Moonee ponds are good ( or were good when I did relief teaching there in 2006 ) I would also consider Pascoe Vale, Coburg if we were moving back with our little family now. Good luck with your decision.