+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving from Sydney to Melbourne. Some advice please!

Hi everybody. this is only my second time posting here not sure if this is the right forum to post, but here goes. We are a family of 4 (me, DH,DS 5years old and DD 3 years old) thinking of moving to melbourne at the end of this year. we're looking at Preston and suroundings. Is there anyone here from that area who can give me advice on which area is best for young family? And which ones to avoid ?
    Any suggestions on public school in that area?
    Any comments would be appreciated I am kinda nervous thinking about the move. We live near our parents here in Sydney's northern beaches, so I know the kids will miss their grandparens as we see them quite often during the week. We just can't afford to live here anymore :-( sigh
    anyway, looking forward to hear your comments

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaadam View Post
    Hi everybody. this is only my second time posting here not sure if this is the right forum to post, but here goes. We are a family of 4 (me, DH,DS 5years old and DD 3 years old) thinking of moving to melbourne at the end of this year. we're looking at Preston and suroundings. Is there anyone here from that area who can give me advice on which area is best for young family? And which ones to avoid ?
    Any suggestions on public school in that area?
    Any comments would be appreciated I am kinda nervous thinking about the move. We live near our parents here in Sydney's northern beaches, so I know the kids will miss their grandparens as we see them quite often during the week. We just can't afford to live here anymore :-( sigh
    anyway, looking forward to hear your comments
    Move to the east/south east or if you can afford, south yarra. West/north west is a no go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have friends in Preston - it's an ok area from what I know. It's also on a train route to the CBD. South Morang/Mernda are new suburbs that are very big family areas - prices of rentals are very good, good doctors etc. don't go anywhere near Broadmeadows area, very rough! Have you thought about work opportunities for you or your partner? Job opportunities in the northern suburbs are minimal just so you know can I ask why you were thinking Preston in particular??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live right near the area that you're looking at and personally love it. DS is 2.5 years old so I can't really give you any advice on schools but certainly can tell you of the other family-friendly advantages I've found to living in the northern suburbs. You may prefer the south/south-east if you want to be closer to any sort of beach though...

Maybe private message me if you have specific questions, happy to help!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I like the new estates coming up at South Morang. I personally like North. Kinglake area but it is a big drive to get into town.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wish I could move back to Melb but DP would never go for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerFun View Post
    I have friends in Preston - it's an ok area from what I know. It's also on a train route to the CBD. South Morang/Mernda are new suburbs that are very big family areas - prices of rentals are very good, good doctors etc. don't go anywhere near Broadmeadows area, very rough! Have you thought about work opportunities for you or your partner? Job opportunities in the northern suburbs are minimal just so you know can I ask why you were thinking Preston in particular??
    Broadmeadows isn't that bad!!! I live a suburb or two away from there and there's other places I think are much much scarier... Lol

RIP Angel Baby ~Skye~ 21/11/2012

Thanks
    Reviews
    Preston and surrounding areas are nice my mum lives over that way train and tram lines into the city depending on where in Preston you end up

Good luck

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Everywhere within a 10km radius if the city is a nice place to live, really. No real 'dodgy' areas as it's all gentrified. If you enjoyed living on the Northern Beaches but can't afford the Melbourne equivalent (Elwood across to Port Melbourne/inner south east) I would look into Yarraville/Kingsville/Seddon. Nice family areas, close to Altona and Williamstown beaches and still very affordable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Everywhere within a 10km radius if the city is a nice place to live, really. No real 'dodgy' areas as it's all gentrified. If you enjoyed living on the Northern Beaches but can't afford the Melbourne equivalent (Elwood across to Port Melbourne/inner south east) I would look into Yarraville/Kingsville/Seddon. Nice family areas, close to Altona and Williamstown beaches and still very affordable.