+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lapband in late pregnancy

Hey there everyone,

Firstly I need to apologise for lurking for the past 8 1/2 months.

No good reason apart from being a bit shy and a scaredy cat.

Please know though that I have loved reading of all your trials and tribulations, learning from your successes and sympathising with your disappointments and setbacks. I feel like I owe you all so much, the amount I have learnt has been invaluable!!!

Anyway, my question to you all is who has a lapband? I got one about three years ago and it has been fabulous, and no issue throughout my pregnancy. Now that I am two weeks from 'popping' I am getting a bit of discomfort from my port which is protruding a little and thought I may as well ask you guys the question to see if anyone else has a lapband and did they have the same issue?

Nothing major to worry about, just curious (and feeling very brave to ask in the first place!)

Thanks for reading and looking forward to 'meeting' you all!

Miss Leopard

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't have a band, but have had another type of WLS, and have spoken with lots of banders online.

I've heard from many that pregnancy can often mess with the band a fair bit... to the point that it slips, or even if it doesn't, it just never really works again and they have to get it replaced, or just taken out for good, or maybe go another WLS route. I have no idea why this happens, but it does seem a common occurence.

Perhaps it'll be a good idea to talk to your surgeon and see if this is normal or if it something should be done about it?

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I had lapband done in August last year and am currently 13 weeks pregnant so not as far as long as you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey there Sassy Mummy,

Thanks for your reply! I have seen you on the board and noted your amazing loss - well done!!!!!

Thanks for the info - I saw my surgeon when I first found out I was UTD - I was worried the band might be a problem but I was assured it wouldn't be much of an issue and they were right - It has not caused any issues at all - I haven't even needed an adjustment, I have the same amount of fill as when I wasn't pregnant... fingers crossed it continues to work after pregnancy though!!!

I have been trying to 'tough it out' re: the discomfort from the protruding port - it is just uncomfortable and I didn't want to bother my surgeon while it isn't a major issue - surely I can survive only two more weeks???

Thanks for your reply - it's nice to know there is another WLS bubhubber out there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations Fingers xd (on the band and the baby!!!!!)

It takes real bravery to address the issue and take the option of having weightloss surgery so well done!

As mentioned previously, I have had no problems with the band and being pregnant but if you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to ask me, I'm more than happy to help!

The only small issues I have had have been the port protrusion, but that only started a few weeks ago due to the baby just getting bigger and pushing all my insides all over the place - it's just a touch uncomfortable - no biggie.

The other is heartburn but hey, having a lapband I am already used to it. I am more than willing to weather some heartburn in order to get a baby so again, no biggie!

Best of luck for a blissful pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Hi Sorry I can't help about the port as I had another WLS like Sassy. Just wanted to let you there are a lot of us WLS gals here on the hub. I hope one of the bander can help you. Best of luck with the next few weeks and birth of your little one.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Miss Leopard  (02-06-2013),SassyMummy  (02-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Ms Leopard,

I have a Lapband. Unfortunately it hasn't been very successful for me, although the bariatric surgeon who did it would say that the band is working fine, it's just me who is not working with the band.

I will consider getting the gastric sleeve procedure once I have finished with having babies.

Now, back to your question (oops!)... I only made it to 33 weeks for my first and only pregnancy, so far, so I hadn't quite got to popping stage but I noticed that the port was definitely becoming more visible through my skin and felt tighter, as though it was being squeezed closer to the surface of my tummy.

I have heard that the Lapband is completely safe during pregnancy...maybe just a little uncomfortable at the site of the port

Goodluck with the very final weeks of your pregnancy and beyond.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Albert01; 02-06-2013 at 19:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Albert01,

Thanks for your reply - I LOVE the pic of your cat!!!

I am so sorry to hear that your lapband surgery has not been as successful as you had hoped. Your surgeon doesn't sound very supportive. They are meant to be supportive and encouraging - are the surgeon's staff of any help/support for you?

I guess I have been lucky in that the organisation I went through were excellent and very encouraging - anyone who has had bariatric surgery knows it isn't a quick, magic fix - in reality it is still damn hard work. I really feel for you and admire the fact that you have the tenacity and 'get up and go' to say hey, one solution didn't work for me but I won't give up, I will check out my other options.

When I first had my band done I read a brilliant quote that really resonated with me and helped get my head around being a bandit,

'you can band your stomach but not your head'

To me it sums up perfectly the daily struggle you have even after lapband surgery.

It was so helpful to hear that I am not the only one with the weird protrusion - thanks for sharing your experience. What you described is exactly how it is feeling!

Thank you so much for your good wishes and best of luck with whatever you decide to do with your WLS after you are done making babies!!!!