+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How long would you wait?

I had emergency surgery on Monday for an ectopic pregnancy, and they had to remove both of my tubes, unfortunately. My OB, who did the surgery, said there is no particular period that I should wait before starting IVF.

I'm in two minds - I really want to get PG as soon as possible, to help move past this tragedy, but when I got my big fat surprise positive (a natural pregnancy after doing IVF in 2011), I was freaking out about being pregnant (which was difficult for me) and the prospect of having two kids under 21months.

So what would you do? Transfer a frostie ASAP, or wait a few months to fully process what's happened to me? I've never had an abortion or miscarriage, in fact, this is the only time I've ever fallen PG naturally.

TIA.

DH (early 30s) + me (29 + several months)
    DS (IVF #3) born 21/4/12 by emergency c-section
    Both tubes removed after (natural) ectopic PG on 27/5/13

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any thoughts ladies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no advice as I haven't been in this situation. But sending you hugs. X

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SageS For This Useful Post:

PeJu's Mum  (03-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So sorry to hear about your ectopic pregnancy. I had an ectopic in January 2012 after IUI and had my right tube removed. During the surgery it was discovered both my tubes were damaged so we decided IVF was the best option for us. We went straight into starting our first cycle and transfer which was about 6 weeks after surgery. As upset as DH and I were about the ectopic (was our first BFP after fertility treatment for 6 months and trying naturally for 7 months before that) we desperately wanted a bubba. Took us 3 IVF cycles and our baby girl is now 4 months old!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kristin Amara For This Useful Post:

PeJu's Mum  (03-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations on your little girl, Kristin. Thanks for your reply. If you don't mind me asking, how did you feel after the first cycle? At the time, did you regret jumping in so quickly?
    I tend to think that starting IVF again will help us move past this tragedy, but my DH is worried a failure would compound our grief.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry to hear about your recent loss ....i had a m/c on my sixth ivf stim cycle...i wanted to jump back into another stim asap....for me it was just a way of coping with the loss better than waiting....perhaps it was because i was childless at the time too i don't know....my dd is 22 months younger than ds...it was hard the first six months mainly due to the amount if time u spend sitting and bfing otherwise im enjoying the age gap now ( ds is almost 3) ....i. Guess with ivf u just never know whether it will take one xfer or six xfers to get a sticky bfp...its suchan individual thing after a loss whether u wait or not.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jfblady72 For This Useful Post:

PeJu's Mum  (03-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The first cycle was extremely hard. I did get a BFP but my HCG was very low and was told it wouldn't stick. My DH was worried how I would cope with failed cycles after the ectopic but I found getting back into a cycle the best thing for me. Each person is different though and it's what worked for us. As sad as we were after each failed cycle getting back into it gave us that glimmer of hope again.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kristin Amara For This Useful Post:

PeJu's Mum  (04-06-2013)