+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Computer tablet or LeapPad?

I would like to get ds1 a computer tablet type thing for his birthday. I was going to get a LeapPad but then thought maybe a cheap computer tablet would be better. I really don't know. I'm planning on spending $150 - $200 on it so want to make the right choice.

Are the LeapPads any good?
    With a tablet do I need wifi to down load apps?
    Can I down load movies onto a tablet?

TIA 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had this dilemma about 6 weeks ago.

I went with the tablet:

Apparently leappad chews thru batteries & if you get rechargeable batteries, you need to buy heaps as they waste very quickly.
    Games on the leappad are extremely expensive.

I got a 7" galaxy tab for $219 but I see you can get them now for $189 if you shop around. On the advice of some bub hub members, I bought the app 'where's my water' and my 3 yr old could play it all day long.
    Plus you can get some really good educational apps (although educational doesn't really go with a computer for me).

I don't regret my purchase. I bought it to keep him entertained on long flights and I'm happy with it.

There are some other toddler tablets but most of them don't allow u to use google play so buying apps isn't easy to do.

Good Luck with your purchase

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps havent downloaded movies yet but apparently you can. And you can buy a USB type Thingy to store them so that you don't use up all your internal memory.

And mine doesn't have wifi. Which is why I'm going to get myself an iPad to play with! Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, I'd go with the tablet. You can get them pretty cheap now, and download loads of different apps, colouring, etc. (as well as movies). They're more versatile than something like the LeapPad.

You'll need an internet connection to download stuff, but you don't necessarily need the 3G type connection. You could just load it up with stuff when you're at home, and not have an internet connection 'on the go'.

Awesome for holidays too. We use one a lot with DD on plane trips!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The only real bonus with the leappad is you can register it and get to look up the child's progress. All the games are learning type games and you can change the levels to suit.
    It may be slightly more child friendly - tougher frame etc.
    ...but you also need to have a carry case for the games unless you download the apps.

My kids have a leapster each which they really enjoy. And they have a really cheap $79 tablet to share, that only gets free apps put on it,

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm also thinking about getting my son one of these but am curious do the normal tablets eg Samsung galaxy have access to as many apps as the iPad?

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are heaps on Android - no issues there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Whoknows  (01-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have just put Samsung touch tabs on layby with Big W online for our oldest the were $258 each but DH did some research and if you just want a basic tablet that is cheap the pendo pads from Target seem to get good reviews and so you don't have to buy movies you can load them on with USB memory card

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We will soon replace DS2's LeapPad with an iPad mini. The batteries are ridiculous, and the apps very expensive. Not impressed at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so I'm definitely going with a tablet then! Now to choose one. I think it will be great too that you can put movies on it as we fly a lot...

Thanks so much ladies