+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Child at catholic school but not catholic

Just wondering if anyone has any experience on sending their non catholic children to a catholic school?

Was it good / bad?

Looking at enrolling my step son into a private school however most in our area are catholic...

Would appreciate any advice / information

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He may feel a little left out when the rest of his class receive their sacraments (usually First Holy Communion in Yr 4 and Confirmation in Yr 6 or 7).
    They are big milestones in a catholic person's life so they are usually a pretty big event at most schools. But that's not a reason not to send him, just something to keep in mind for later down the track so that when he asks 'but why don't I get to do it?' you'll be able to explain it in a way which makes sense to him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went to catholic schools and there were plenty of non- catholic children in my classes. We never knew any different, they weren't excluded and just did different activities when we did sacraments. Actually a few friends I went through high school with, I didn't even realise weren't Catholic until we left school

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    My DD goes to a catholic primary school, and I think it would be quite difficult if you were to attend but basically reject the faith altogether.

I am not catholic (hubby is, and DD too) - and I was quite surprised by the depth of religious teaching. It really is integrated with everything they do. Its not just a RE class once a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I went to catholic schools and there were plenty of non- catholic children in my classes. We never knew any different, they weren't excluded and just did different activities when we did sacraments. Actually a few friends I went through high school with, I didn't even realise weren't Catholic until we left school
    Same as this both in primary and secondary!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies really appreciate it

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will be last on the list for enrollments as they usually take catholic children from the church's diocese first, other catholic children and then any other children if they still have spots. Generally enrollments are done term one prior to the year they start.
    You will need to tell them at your interview why you want to send your child to a catholic school and tell them that you will support the school in religious traditions.
    Just on the exclusion thing during sacraments most schools do all the preparation on weekends now however students do participate in religious education everyday and attend mass at least once a month.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummyrissa View Post
    Just on the exclusion thing during sacraments most schools do all the preparation on weekends now however students do participate in religious education everyday and attend mass at least once a month.
    What you describe is one approach, that some schools take, in some areas.
    In our diocese it is most common that sacramental preparation is done in class, school mass is weekly (every Friday morning) and religious education is embedded within all aspects of schooling (as one pp mentioned who I know lives in a different area to me). All children participate in all aspects, it would just be that a non-catholic child would not actually receive the sacraments at the final event.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our children will be going to a catholic or Anglican school, though we are technically neither.

We looked at a lot of schools some had a much stronger focus on the religion (ie going to chapel everyday + formal re class everyday.) the 2 we have decided on have much less time spent on scheduled religion class, even though obviously the day to day teachings will include references to religion in particular the values and morals of the religion.

I would look at a few different schools around, one might be better for your family then the others.