+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I believe parents should always advocate their child's needs. Without more detail it's hard to answer, how do his needs differ? How are they not being met? What is it that is telling you the teacher doesn't know him well?

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I can't help but feel defensive sometimes when parents make presumptions about the way I teach/interact with their child. If your child has very specific needs, I would go the casual approach ie 'how are you going with ...? I've been noticing at home he (eg) is having lots of trouble staying focused on one thing at a time'. That way you come across as interested and supportive and collaborative rather than critical, if that makes sense.

But, yes, I absolutely believe you have the right to discuss such things with a teacher, just be aware that there are positive and negative ways to go about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I worry a lot about my DS too OP, it is hard when they have been through so much when they are little.

MrsHarvey has some good suggestions...approach it from a place of wanting to work with the teacher...perhaps even phrase it as being after some advice and see what the teacher comes up with.

Also, make a time to speak to the teacher rather than trying to do it before/after school as the teacher will have more time available and not have to worry if they have other meetings/work on their minds.

Always be your child's advocate...it is what we are there for...but just remember that it is better to be positive than defensive/angry and try and approach the teacher as someone who wants to help (because in 99.9% of cases they really do) and give them the benefit of the doubt that they are already working really hard on behalf of your child.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (01-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am involved rather heavily. I speak to DDs teachers daily and actually work at the same school, so it's pretty easy to see whats going on.