+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pregnant with my first and Ipswich based.

Hi all

I have been a member here for a while but have been really quiet the last few months (well maybe 6months actually lol). I am 5 weeks pregnant with my first and will be deriving in Ipswich. I was wanting to hear stories (preferably good) about the hospital and what services they actually provide. Both my SILs have given birth to their kids at Ipswich, but their first times were almost 10 years ago.

Also, making new friends in the area is always a bonus

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Keerah!

Congratulations!
    I am 4 weeks with my 2nd & I'm from the area...
    I delivered at the mater for my first but will be going to Ipswich for this one.

I'm trying to get into the midwife clinic - basically the midwife you see every appointment will deliver bub.

Hope everything has been going well for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I delivered DS1 at Ipswich hospy 2.5 years ago and had a great experience. I was part of the Midwifery Group Practice (but was accepted late, so prior to that was doing shared care with my GP). The MGP was fantastic, I liked I had my appointments with the same middy each time and I would know who was going to be there at the birth. I had a very straight forward drug free birth and was home 4 hours after birth.

With DS2 (born 7 weeks ago), I decided to go with a private midwife (through My Midwives in Ipswich), and I could not recommend them enough if you want midwife care and can afford to pay the fees. I was planning a hospital birth at Ipswich again, but actually ended up having an unplanned homebirth, which my midwife just made it for and she was absolutely wonderful.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post
    I delivered DS1 at Ipswich hospy 2.5 years ago and had a great experience. I was part of the Midwifery Group Practice (but was accepted late, so prior to that was doing shared care with my GP). The MGP was fantastic, I liked I had my appointments with the same middy each time and I would know who was going to be there at the birth. I had a very straight forward drug free birth and was home 4 hours after birth.

With DS2 (born 7 weeks ago), I decided to go with a private midwife (through My Midwives in Ipswich), and I could not recommend them enough if you want midwife care and can afford to pay the fees. I was planning a hospital birth at Ipswich again, but actually ended up having an unplanned homebirth, which my midwife just made it for and she was absolutely wonderful.

Good luck
    I have looked into My Midwifes & was wondering the fees...what are they roughly if you don't mind me asking ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Decemberbubba, how would I go about getting into MGP? I would like to do that, but don't know how to go about getting into it. If I don't then ill be doing shared care with my GP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Keerah, I phoned them on Thursday & they advised your dr needs to note it down on your referral.

I'm not sure if they means your accepted but I know that's the first step

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's the referral for Missy? I have no idea about any of this and would rather go into my drs office armed with I formation about what I want to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When you go the your dr, they confirm your pregnancy & give u a referral for the hospital so you can deliver.
    When you do this you need to ask them to put on there about wanting to be in the midwife clinic.

I think you need to see your dr before 12 weeks but I could be wrong

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Keerah View Post
    Decemberbubba, how would I go about getting into MGP? I would like to do that, but don't know how to go about getting into it. If I don't then ill be doing shared care with my GP.
    I went to my GP to confirm pregnancy at around 6 weeks (he didn't do any test, as I'd had a couple of positive HPT's) and he sent off a referral to the Ipswich hospital. The hospy then contacted me to arrange a 'booking in' appointment which was at around 16 weeks. At my booking in appointment they asked if I wanted to apply for the MGP, which I did (didn't know about it prior or I would have tried to get in earlier), but found out a few weeks later there were no spaces for me. I then got a call from the MGP around 30 weeks to advise there was a spot so I grabbed it.

I would definately let your GP know you want to be part of the MGP so they can include that on referral, but I would also ring the antenatal clinic at the hospy after your GP appointment and ask what to do to apply - because they can only take a certain number of women each month fill up very quickly.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 01-06-2013 at 15:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy18 View Post
    I have looked into My Midwifes & was wondering the fees...what are they roughly if you don't mind me asking ?
    They have a few payment options - I paid fees straight up which was around $2,200 (don't quote me on that though, they may have changed their fees). You get medicare rebates on some of that though (I don't have PHI, but pretty sure they cover some costs as well if you do). You then pay around $90 for each antenatal visit, but the majority of that is then refunded by medicare.

This is for a hospy birth - the fees are a bit higher for a homebirth. All up, after rebates, I was out of pocket a little less than the upfront payment. Well worth it though, I wouldn't have any other care if we have more kids
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 01-06-2013 at 15:40.