+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Birthday party etiquette

DS turns 3 in 2 weeks and I decided to throw him a party and invite 9 kids. It only occurred to me today when my step mother asked when they should be there that I hadn't invited my parents (divorced and repartnered) or PIL. Or my brother or SIL. It's a kids party, for kids. None of the kids are related so the invited have gone to his little friends and that's all.

I'm quite anxious at the thought of having another 8 adults to cater for (its over lunch time) but I feel like it would be expected that they should get invited.

I thought maybe an afternoon tea the next weekend with just family would be ok. We have another party the next day so can't do anything then.

WWYD?

(Our house isn't very open plan so it's a lot of people in one space).
    Last edited by Moxy; 31-05-2013 at 16:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just say it's they kiddie party and that you are doing something special with family later. (thats the fib I use)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was in the same situation, and my in laws etc ended up being invited, and OMG, I couldn't wait for it to end. honestly, too many ppl ruined it. never again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We usually do a 'family' cake and coffee on the actual birthday night, fairly relaxed, usually on a school night too - so good excuse to keep it short. And the do the kiddie party on the weekend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    DD is having a birthday party, and some family have just assumed they're going to be invited. They're not. It's a kid's party... for kids. It's not for family to get together. They can do that at another point in time for her birthday if they like... but her party is for school friends only (and me, because I HAVE to go... lol).

I'd just say it's a kid's party, and that you will make sure they can visit for her birthday soon (and I'd personally just try to scatter it, and not make it formal... so you're not expected to feed everyone... lol).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We've always invited family to the kids parties as its easier to do it all at the same time - otherwise you may be setting yourself up for 2 separate parties/cakes every year! Grandparents especially love it as they can see them all playing and having fun and most adults love kids party food!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We always do separate parties for kids and family.

Usually we have afternoon tea the weekend before or after with the Grandparents and Aunt & Uncle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    it's dd's 3rd birthday soon, I'm having a family dinner at mums on her actual birthday for my sides aunts/uncles grandparents who don't have young kids.

Her actual friends birthday party is at a play cafe, having dh's side (they all have kids around the same age) his parents, my parents (bringing their god daughter)