+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In a heartbeat. When I take mat leave with this bub- we have a $100 per week difference in income to when I work 3 days per week. Yes it's a very low income- but I wonder if that $100 per week is worth all the extra pressure on the house working from home as a daycarer. Dh won't seriously consider me not working, but its almost not viable to work. Only problem is we wouldn't save at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If I could afford it and I knew I could go back to my career at the same level after 5 years or more off I absolutely would.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    At this stage of my life? Yes, I would.

Financially it makes more sense that I work full time as my job is secure, reasonably paid and enjoyable. If DH went back to work full time, his earning capacity would be less than mine.

In our current situation, DH is able to work casually (1-4 shifts a week) to provide extra income for our family (nights/weekends) whilst looking after DS in the day.

Not having to pay for day care is fantastic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. I know I'd go crazy if I was. Believe me I can't wait to have my 9 months maternity leave to spend some time I've missed with my little man and my new bub but there's no way I could stay at home full time for a long time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just did the budget and we can afford for me to stay home, but no I'll definitely be going back to work. I've spent so long studying and working to just give it away and I feel passionate about what I have to offer.

I am so blessed that I will be able to be selective about what job I choose though. I'm keen to return to working in research or education.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With #3 coming soon, a toddler and 1 school child - a year or so as SAHM will be good...but

I would still work p/t 2 days would be perfect - As it keeps me in the job cycle and as what some other Mums said you never know what the future holds and I want to be independant and extra $$$ would never hurt I think this would be giving me some "me" time and focus. But I will still be able to look after kids, juggle the sports and extra activities etc.

If each child only did 2 sports each week that is still 3 lots of training a week plus 3 lots of games - so that would be between 3-6 days a week running around just for sports. Not to mention time spent on homework and that is just the basic things so can understand the desire to just be a full time SAHM

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am soon to go on Mat leave for a full 12 months for child #1. I've worked full time for 9 1/2 years (prior to that, studied for close to 6 years).

At this point in time, I am not sure how I am going to go with such a big change in lifestyle. If money were no object (ie we could afford to maintain our current lifestyle and standard of living) I would probably be prepared to get rid of my day job (which to be honest, I need a break from).

I have a little hobby business, I find it far more satisfying than my day job, so that is the sort of thing I'd like to continue if I was a SAHM, along with being able to take on more work within community organisations.

At this stage I plan to return to my day job 2.5 days per week. I have no intention of ever returning full time - unless there was a pressing financial need for me to do so. Given we are only just starting our family, there's a lot of water to pass under the bridge before I make too many career-oriented decisions.

I am looking forward to having more time at home - between my current full time job, hobby business and other pursuits, I'm rarely home and have to employ a cleaner to keep on top of things.

It is hard to find the right balance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DS was in the easy 6-9 month age group I really didn't want to go back to work but once he became mobile I seriously thought about working full time as work days were easier. I currently work 4 days per week and will be going on maternity leave in a few months. I'll keep DS in daycare a few days when I'm on leave. I don't think I'd cope being a full time SAHM to 2 kids. I'd go back to work part time when the youngest becomes a toddler as work days are easier. If I could afford it though I'd be a SAHM with a nanny and housekeeper!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Noty For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (04-06-2013)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I am a SAHM, and have really enjoyed it, but my youngest is now 9 months from starting school, and I'm liking the idea of getting back into the workforce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. I just returned to work after 9 months off on maternity leave. I have PND and being home looking after a 2 yr old and 8 month old was starting to get to me. Even my therapist agreed I should return to work. I love my kids but I also love going to work for mental stimulation.
    Also I liked contributing financially to our family. If some reason DH lost his job of at least we would have my income aswell.

( I work a 5 day fortnight )

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app