+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope, I love my job and the type of work I do, while I'm enjoying being on parental leave, I'm also looking forward to returning to work part-time when my parental leave ends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well, I'm a SAHM and I'm happy to admit that I am a bit jealous of Mum's with paid employment at the moment.

It just isn't practical for a wide variety of reasons for me to work at the moment, but I am getting itchy feet so to speak.

On the other hand I do appreciate being able to be home full time too.

Not too sure what my point was...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Ali19  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am in this position. I do not have to work for financial reasons but given the choice I would prefer to work part-time as it gives me the mental stimulation that I desperately crave.

Unfortunately though it is not that easy to find part-time work in my chosen profession. The job I left before having DS was full-time and very long days (12 hours plus at times). DH is in a similar position with long days and regular travel. DH and I are not comfortable with putting DS into daycare or hiring a nanny for 5 full days per week, hence why I haven't opted to work full-time.

I did work 2 days per week on a 6 month contract last year and that was absolutely PERFECT for me - just the right balance between work & home. I would take on another contract like that in a heartbeat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for all of the replies.

There are lots of issues to consider when making my decision.

I love the mental stimulation and challenge of my employment, however the pressure and responsibility can be very high at times. Another advantage of work is that I get to travel interstate on occasion and to attend dinners which is fun. When i am working i really love wearing corporate wear, high heels and makeup and getting a pay check each week. It would be a shame to let all those years of uni to waste.

On the other hand i also love staying home and having plenty of time to go to the gym and prepare healthy food for my family. When I am not working our house is always clean and tidy, with plenty of food in the fridge which I love. I find those things more of a challenge to keep up with when I am working.

I guess there is no easy answer as to whether I should go back to work or not

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TeBe View Post
    I returned to work part time, for 2 years after my first child was born. i am now on mat leave after the birth of my second child. I have to decide if I want to return to my position in the workforce.

After selling an investment property, we will soon be paying off our own mortgage so there is no financial imperative for me to work.

Would you be a SAHM if you could afford it?
    Not in a million years!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-06-2013)

mummabec is offline I could hold you for a million years, to make you feel my love
    Thanks
    Reviews
    In a heartbeat!!!
    I'm on mat leave after just having my 3rd baby and I would love to stay home till he goes off to kinder at least.
    I am studying part time and would continue that so that when I went back it would be to a new career.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way - I enjoy working

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    No way! I am a sahm at the moment, but I love my job. I will return to work 2 days a week in October. I love my kids, but I am more than a mum.

I just want to add that I wouldn't want to work full-time either. For me, part-time 2/3 days max) is enough for me.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 31-05-2013 at 20:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. I could be a SAHM if I wanted to, but it's not for me - never has been!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I could until both kids were in full time school, then I'd be happy to work school hours. Working full time is really bumming me out at the moment. I feel like I'm missing so much of DDs first year at school