+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was induced for the first time a couple of weeks ago with DD3 and it was my smoothest birth yet overall. I to was scared beforehand. I went in 4cms dilated but her head was to high so they didn't want to break my waters and risk cord prolapse, the plan was to insert gel hopefully starting contractions that were enough to move her head down. Then they would break my waters and put in a drip as they said breaking the waters would not be enough on its own.
    So I had gel in at about 8pm, overnight and in the morning I had some light cramps and backache but definitely not labour, there were noticable but not painful. Her head was still high in their morning so more gel was meant to be done but the birth rooms were full so it was postponed. DH and I spent the next few hours walking and climbing the five flights of stairs twice. The cramps then got a bit painful and DD's head finally dropped. I was then taken to birth suite and my waters were broken but no drip put in and DD was born 25 minutes later. I was able to have wireless monitoring so I could move around which was great as I find everything hurts more on the bed!
    The lady sharing the room with me overnight when I had the gel was also being induced and had the gel in at the same time as me, she was unfavourable, high, posterior and closed, and she went into proper labour at 2am that night.
    Also, with my first I was told I was totally unfavourable after an internal exam and would not go into labour yet I went into labour just a couple of days later.
    Last edited by TableDancer; 30-05-2013 at 22:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Currently halfway through reading your responses. Thanks so much by the way.
    I should have mentioned my due date was 25/05/13 I am currently 5 days over due and will be +10 on my induction date.

Will respond better after having read all.
    Thanks again!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like you, I was induced at 10 days past my due date with no signs of going into labour. I was petrified to say the least... but honestly, I was petrified of labour in general anyway so the fact that it was induced versus spontaneous was irrelevant to me.

Waters broken + drip in at 8.30am. TENS machine from 12pm. Gas from about 3pm. Epidural at about 4pm. DS born at 6.11pm, a healthy 4.45kg, skin was perfect. In my eyes the whole experience was definitely not a horror story, in fact I'd have no issue with having another induced birth. I went in with an open mind and have zero regrets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I declined induction at 40+9, ended up going into spontaneous labour at 42 weeks exactly. I still ended up having the syntocin drip to speed up labour (merconium stained waters). i also had a forceps assisted delivery. I coped well with just gas and a nice warm bath to float in.

i wont lie - it was very stressful declining induction. it lead to a lot of arguments with hospital staff, meetings, extra scans. I had monitoring past 40+9 at the hospital. It was tough going but I would do it all again. It was right for me.

I'm not going to say you shouldn't get induced. You need to make that decision for yourself. It was a very long and hard decision for my partner and I.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've never had an induction. But I wanted to comment add you said the appointment wad booked based on your internal assessment.

I went for a stretch and sweep at 40+4 and was told it couldn't be done as my cervix was very high (almost unreachable) very hard and completely closed. I was so disheartened thinking id need induction. Baby was born 5 days later at 40+9 after a three hour labour.

So even if your internal exam showed nothing was happening a lot can change in 5 days. On the other end of the spectrum, a friend was 3-4cm dilated for three weeks with her firstborn and went to 40+3 and was told she would have the baby early due to the dilation.

Best of luck

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine was awful so I won't get into detail.

I would say though, if they break yor waters, try and go into labour yourself after that. I was given the drip straight afterwards and I did not need it.

If it gets too much ask for an epi! I held out for 4 hours as I was determined not to have one and I totally regret it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So many people say that your contractions don't 'build up' if you have an induction, but if managed correctly they do. My experience, gel applied which started things nice and slowly. Waters broken, which helped them along. After some time drip was put in and dose managed. I ended in csection but that was due to baby position. My contractions were close and intense.

Second was spontaneous, contractions hard and fast, also ended in csection.

Best of luck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I have had both. Induction for my first. Spontaneous for my second.

Induction, I was given gel at 6:30pm and had a hypersensitive uterus so the contractions started hard and fast with no break in between. I had him at 2:55am with no drugs and they said the labour was 3 hrs with 10 mins pushing.

Spontaneous, I had a break between contractions and I dealt with it a lot easier. My labour was 4 hrs with 15 mins pushing.

Personally I found the induction hard because I had to stay on the bed to be monitored. I was on the antenatal ward and they sent DP home. With the spontaneous I could get in the shower and that was amazing. Lol.

No one told me much about induction beforehand so I wasn't expecting it to be how it was. Good luck with it. Not everyone has a bad experience

Either way I ended up with two beautiful boys.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

steel magnolia  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never understood why people say inductions are horrible. I think every birth is unique, so how can you compare??

FWIW, my first was induced. They broke the membrane but after several hours of waiting, nothing happened. So they put in a Syntocin drip and that got the ball rolling finally. The contractions felt... um ... forced? But not more painful. They of course did get painful as the labour progressed but i think that is just the way it is. But, after 63 hours (yes, sixty-three) she was finally born and i had required no pain relief at all.

My second however, was completely natural (no induction), happened very quickly (just 3 hours), and i needed an epidural.

Dont be scared. Birth can be beautiful - even with an induction

12. The Following User Says Thank You to steel magnolia For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (02-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an induction at 38 weeks. I had 2 doses of the gel and it over stimulated my uterus, I didn't get a break in contractions, if they get trigger happy with the gel ask them to wait a while before the next dose. To be fair, it's very hazy after that due to the amount of pain, I know I had an epidural but had to wait a long time for the anaesthetist (like hours!) and I sucked on the gas like a woman possessed, I also had pethidene which calmed me down a bit more than anything. I never dilated past 3 cm and if I know what I know now about internals I would have spoken up more. I ended up having an emergency c section after 24 hours, pph and was separated for several hours in recovery. I was in hospital for 7 days and I won't have another induction, straight to an elective c section if I have another. I really think the second dose of gel caused my issues, just go slow with the gel. Mine is not a good induction story but there are many people who have very successful inductions and everyone is different. Best advice I can give, is speak up, ask for what you need, I was far too complacent and educate yourself which is what you're doing, I never did and wish I had.