+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Induction, help - I'm terrified.

I have mine booked for the 5th of June, they said its highly unlikely with the results from my internal exam that shell be here before then.

I have heard some pretty bad experiences from induction but the more insight I get the better..

Share away honestly, please!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You're best asking those who have had both spontaneous and induction and can compare the 2. I had induction and yeah, it was nasty, and I ended up having an epidural (and I'm asking for one next time!). But that may be because I'm a wuss, not because induction is so terrible, I can't compare!

It may be 'highly unlikely' but you still have a few days, so here's hoping!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Why are you booked in for an induction?
    When is your EDD?
    No one can make you have an induction. Have you asked about alternatives? Whilst there are plenty of women who have had positive experiences with inductions it's not ideal. Your chances of emergency C-S is (from memory) around 25%, Assisted delivery around 30%. (I can provide a link, the figures are from the RANZCOG so not some hippy dippy place that wants women to birth under a tree by a full moon!! )

I've done both induction and spontaneous and the experiences could not have been more different.

With an induction (and I'm talking use of syntocin, not just a S&S or gel) the contractions are hard and fast from the onset unlike a standard spontaneous labour where they start slow and build up. With the induction I was begging for an epi within an hour. With the natural labour I was fine, just slight to strong period pain cramps for about 90% of the labour. Many women will have an epidural when induced because the pain can be so unbearable. This brings a whole set of risks and you most likely will need to them birth on your back which increases the risk of assisted delivery (ie vacuum or forceps) and tearing. Tearing can be moderate but can also be severe that it can leave a small number of women with permanent injuries and incontinence.

I don't want to scare you, but I'm interested to know what the reason is that you are being induced. The reason I ask is that I may be able to offer suggestions on alternatives to ask for or questions to ask so that you can assess the risk and make an informed choice rather than hand over this responsibility to someone else.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first DD was induced on her due date (gel applied), no horror story.

Gel applied at 4.30pm, contractions started around 9.30pm, they got a bit painful around midnight (I started having the gas) & she was born at 5.29am.

My birthday is 5 June

Thanks
    Reviews
    FWIW my second bub was spontaneous & I was screaming for an epi! Bub was stuck and too large to fit through my pelvis, so ended in an emergency c/s.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    My induction was a breeze. Went into hospital at 38+2 bleeding and a hind water leak. At that stage I was 2cm but only feeling braxton hicks contractions. 24 hours later nothing more had happened so my waters were broken at 11.30am. I walked the hospital, including the stairs, for a few hours. 3cm by 3.30, when I was given syntocinon. Kept walking until 5 when the contractions started getting intense. Had pethidine at 5.30, ready to push at 7, DS was born at 7.30.

I know that already being dilated helped things, I know you have no control over that but there's no harm in encouraging bub! I think it also helped that I kept active even though I was being induced. Even after I ended up on the bed and on monitoring I was able to stay upright which helped so much.

I hope your bub surprises everyone, but if you do need an induction, I hope it's a much better experience for you this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had both induced and spontaneous labour. Frankly there wasn't much difference between them. The induced one was slightly longer (4 hours active labour compared to 2.5) and I did have a vacuum extraction for that one, because DD1s heart rate was dropping. Turns out the cord was wrapped round her neck twice, so it was nothing to so with the induction. I had morphine and gas for the induction. Would have had the same for the spontaneous birth but I ran out of time for morphine lol. And I had to have an episiotomy for both. Recovery was quicker the second time around but I think that was just because my body kind of knew what to expect.

So induction isn't always a horror story. But l agree with Bec - look into your options and don't let anyone talk you into an induction if it isn't necessary.

Oh ps my induction was due to my daughter being IUGR.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi
    If this is your first baby then you have nothing to compare the pain to- I say this because the only real difference for me between having an induction and natural birth was that the contractions came alot quicker and were quite full on from the moment they started- with my first bub I wasn't induced and felt like my labour kind of eased into itself- my induced birth I felt very strong contractions right away.

No "horror story" for me either. The gel didn't work so I was given the drip and that kicked things off really quickly. I loved both of my births!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have only had one bub and he was induced so can't really compare it... But as Bec said you can be forced into an induction and there are other options..

I was induced at 41+4 with the gel (I had numerous s&s in the lead up to the induction) and this induction itself took 3 days to start working (I'm sure they would have wanted me to have a cs the next day)

No real horror story though... DS did however end up stuck (shoulder dystocia) and my drip was bent and I wasn't getting any strong contractions in the end... But all in all I look back positively.

Although, unless there is a medical reason I won't agree to an induction again. Bubs will come when they are ready

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it really depends on your individual circumstances...mainly whether you are ready to go in to labour. From what I've read and heard if your kind of heading in to pre labour territory anyway, it can be ok. Personally I had an awful experience. I'm with Bec - unless there's a good reason for inducing I wouldn't agree to it until the 42 week mark. Hopefully your baby arrives soon