+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 8 month old wont go down for the night till 9pm!

No matter how hard I try I can't seem to get her to go down for her night sleep until 9pm.
    I bath at 530pm, boob and book and she will sleep for 1-1.5hrs only then wake and I've tried resettling her over and over and she just won't go back to sleep!
    Any tips I could try?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wondering what her day sleep routine is like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    What time does she wake from her last nap of the day? If you start the routine at 5:30 when do you put her down?

it sounds like she's not tired enough to sleep well at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG242 View Post
    Just wondering what her day sleep routine is like?
    She is always up at 7-730am By 830-9 she is tired and waiting to go back to sleep.
    She will sleep for 1.5-2hrs.
    She then usually wants another sleep around 2pm for 1hr. Come 530pm (bath time) she is very tired and cranky, this is where she will only nap again and not go down for the night.

She isn't in a routine as such, I just go off her tired signs but clearly something's not working. Even when she is in family daycare two days a week her sleeps are different times due to her not wanting to sleep much cause there's to much going on and still I can't seem to get her down for the night before then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I found that I had to keep a diary of when my DD went to sleep and woke up as I went by what I thought were her tired signs, but I realised after a week of doing that, i was putting her down too soon. so I was able to keep her up a bit longer in between her wake up and first nap and second nap.

It sounds like she could possibly stay awake longer than she has been....?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

JAG242  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in exactly the same boat, 8 month old DD has taken to a 10 or 11pm bedtime for the past week. I also just follow tired signs during the day. Has your bub always done this late bedtime?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarelou View Post
    I am in exactly the same boat, 8 month old DD has taken to a 10 or 11pm bedtime for the past week. I also just follow tired signs during the day. Has your bub always done this late bedtime?
    No she hasn't but thinking back she's been doing it for quite some time now and it's exhausting. I can't eat dinner with out being interrupted or even spend time with hubby when he's home from work cause I'm in there trying to settle her. She's definitely tired cause she's yawning her little heart out.
    What about your dd? Has she done this for awhile? 10-11pm is so much later! You must be exhausted

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same issue with DD, my theory was that she thought that early sleep was a nap and not 'nightime sleep'.
    I also found that she needed more than 2 day sleeps if she was sleeping less than 1.30 hours, so try to get your bubba down around 4 pm, even if she doesn't sleep some quiet time, maybe in a rocker with some soft music.
    Worked for DD so hope it helps
    oh just thought of this but how about milk before bed? does she have any? formula? I started to give DD a bottle with formula before bed and it definitely helps, warms her up, its relaxing takes away the thirsty hungry, its not for everyone, I was very reluctant as she was breastfed but I dont see any ill effects and I get to spend the evening with DH and sleep through the night!
    Last edited by ciaomamma; 01-06-2013 at 08:27.