+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Progesterone pessaries?

Has anyone been given progesterone pessaries in a NON-IVF pregnancy? I have had one miscarriage (first natural pregnancy) & when I spoke to my ob they told me that when I next fall pregnant I could go on progesterone pessaries if I wanted to. I was surprised as I thought this was mostly only given in IVF pregnancies. He said there is no harm in taking them but I read so much conflicting info now I am not sure.

When I was pregnant I was worried my progesterone levels were dropping so maybe that's why he suggested it just so I wouldn't worry. He said that nothing is proven & that progesterone starts to fall as the pregnancy is not viable. He then said that others believe that some women don't make enough progesterone to sustain a pregnancy.

I am so confused. Would u take progesterone pessaries the second time u were pregnant after one miscarriage?

I would prefer to have a natural pregnancy if possible. But then I worry if maybe I don't make enough progesterone that the pessaries could save us having another miscarriage?

Does anyone have any opinions or advice?

Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took it for my last pregnancy, but it turned out to be a chemical pregnancy, after 2 mcs(no ivf involved). My fs said the same thing yours did, but it didn't help in that instance. I guess if falling progesterone is causing the pregnancy to fail then it would help. In my case it stopped me bleeding until I stopped taking it. I will be taking it for my next pregnancy also on the advice of my new dr in conjunction with other stuff. He said progesterone can never be too high so you may as well take it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took them before I fell pregnant in each natural cycle to treat a luteal phase defect and then I got pregnant on first cycle with clomid and took them up until about 16 weeks. My OB kept me on them as I had a couple of early small bleeds. If your progesterone levels are low I would definitely take it to help prevent mc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls. How do you know if your progesterone levels are low? Is it just the 7dpo progesterone blood test? I have had a few of these and my levels at 7dpo are usually 45-48. I think that's a good level? I know it definately confirms ovulation.

My progesterone was falling when I was pregnant, after it was 48 at 7dpo but my ob said it would have been falling because the pregnancy was already failing.

If I have a good progesterone level (45-48) at 7dpo does that mean I don't have low progesterone in general?

Thanks
    Reviews
    They tested me the day after my bfp to check hcg and progesterone. I don't know how you can tell if its the progesterone causing it to fail though or if it was already failing and that's why your level was low...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish there was some way to tell apart from the 7dpo test. Hate not knowing and wondering if I have these issues when nothing is proven

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hummingbird, Even though I have done a lot of IVF cycles I also used progesterone pessaries for my natural BFP's due to lowish levels. I think someone might have already said but low progesterone (P4) can be an indication either of a luteal phase defect or that the pregnancy is not viable
    (unfortunately the latter in my case).

Your levels sound acceptable to me (for IVF pregnancies they generally like P4 to stay above 30 and I understand it can be less for natural pregnancies). I don't think there is any harm in using the pessaries for your next pregnancy. Hoping it is just around the corner and is a sticky one for you

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Progesterone / cyclogest pessaries to support low progesterone in pregnancy

I took progesterone in a non-IVF pregnancy. After my second miscarriage I did loads of research and found that the evidence currently suggests that for women who have had recurrent miscarriages, taking progesterone may reduce the chance of miscarriage by as much as 50%. I printed out the study that I found and took it to my doctor and pretty much demanded that he prescribe progesterone pessaries for me in case I fell pregnant again. There's an article here that details the research (a systematic review).

http://www.myinformedlife.co.uk/does...y-miscarriage/

My doctor didn't believe in prescribing progesterone but when I told him about the research he eventually backed down and agreed to prescribe it for me. I'm so glad he did because I am currently 32 weeks pregnant with things going well and I truly believe it's because I took progesterone until 14 weeks.