+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I assuming it is for a child 4 years plus to be a booster seat? Any younger than that is a forward facing restraint.
    My older child is in a Hi-liner SG based on the CREP study. We chose it over the other top scorer (they were equally rated) because it had an anti submarine clip at the crutch. We picked it up for about $170- which is considerably cheaper than the maxi-rider's we have used before- which scored terribly in recent testing. I was shocked at the poor results the maxi-rider got for retaining the dummy's head in rear or side impacts and managing impact- so they had to go!
    I didn't know that about the maxi rider....DD2 is in one and it cost a fortune. That is scary

What is the best seat for a 2.5 year old then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know what's happened to the maxi riders but I think they've changed something in the way they make them because the older ones still score really well. Have a look at when yours was made Pouts, it might be ok. From memory the crep website lists maxis bought before a certain time in addition to more recent ones, and they score differently. Ours are old and they still have a good safety rating.

In fact my just turned 7 year old is STILL in her maxi rider, with the 5 point harness and all . I don't want to take her out of a seat altogether but I also don't want to now spend a lot of money on a booster seat that she won't use for long so I'm not sure what to do!. She still fits in the maxi but a lot of her friends are not using seats at all so of course she wants to be like them but it ain't happening....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If its for 4 years or older- try the hipod Boston. Rates as one of the 2 safest, ds looked comfy when we tested it out. It's also on sale at target at the moment ($60 off) so about $80. We have purchased a H harness for it as its safer again. That was $70.

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    I didn't know that about the maxi rider....DD2 is in one and it cost a fortune. That is scary

What is the best seat for a 2.5 year old then?
    Your 2-1/2 year old will need to be in an inbuilt harness (not an accessory H harness) until they're four. Check out the Infa Secure Rally / Rovette etc, fairly cheap, available from Kmart and BigW etc, or the Maxi Rider Easy Adjust (more expensive, but will last for a long time with the inbuilt harness). Not all seats were tested in the CREP tests, and none of the new seats were, so take the results with a grain of salt (that was the old MR, for example ).

This is also a good read re H Harnesses http://infasecure.com.au/safety-info...ory-harnesses/
    When DD outgrows her inbuilt harness, we'll be using a booster seat with the lap sash seatbelt

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrabbyCrabby For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (02-06-2013),xpectant  (24-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Another fan of the Hi Liner SG for 4+ yo. You do need to roll up a towel behind it (is in the manual how to do this) to tilt it enough for sleeping or if the car seats are very vertical. Also bought it because it's one of the few with anti-sub clip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wktz View Post
    I don't know what's happened to the maxi riders but I think they've changed something in the way they make them because the older ones still score really well. Have a look at when yours was made Pouts, it might be ok. From memory the crep website lists maxis bought before a certain time in addition to more recent ones, and they score differently. Ours are old and they still have a good safety rating.

In fact my just turned 7 year old is STILL in her maxi rider, with the 5 point harness and all . I don't want to take her out of a seat altogether but I also don't want to now spend a lot of money on a booster seat that she won't use for long so I'm not sure what to do!. She still fits in the maxi but a lot of her friends are not using seats at all so of course she wants to be like them but it ain't happening....
    Just be careful with the weight limit if your DD is still in the 5 point harness at 7 years old. I think 18kg is the limit. If they're heavier than that it is REALLY dangerous to have them in the 5 point harness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GrabbyCrabby View Post
    Your 2-1/2 year old will need to be in an inbuilt harness (not an accessory H harness) until they're four. Check out the Infa Secure Rally / Rovette etc, fairly cheap, available from Kmart and BigW etc, or the Maxi Rider Easy Adjust (more expensive, but will last for a long time with the inbuilt harness). Not all seats were tested in the CREP tests, and none of the new seats were, so take the results with a grain of salt (that was the old MR, for example ).

This is also a good read re H Harnesses http://infasecure.com.au/safety-info...ory-harnesses/
    When DD outgrows her inbuilt harness, we'll be using a booster seat with the lap sash seatbelt
    Thanks for posting H harness info. Will investigate them further. Ds isn't in the new seat yet, will be when he turns 4. We were worried that the normal seatbelt didn't look very secure as he is a skinny boy and belt seems high.