+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Home Insemination - Help!

Hi all,

My fiance and I have our first appointment with a fertility clinic on Saturday and we have now suddenly decided that we would like to give home insemination a shot before diving into IVF - we want to at least give it a shot because otherwise we won't ever know if it would have worked that way. Obviously it would take a massive weight off the financial strain off and we also feel it would be more intimate. We would not try it more than a few times before changing to IVF though. Soooo.. our problem is we want to use an unknown donor and we don't know where to find it. Has anyone else done home insemination with an uknown donor? If so where did the sperm come from? There are online companies overseas but its hard to understand how it works. Do fertility clinics in NSW allow you to purchase sperm from their banks to try home insem? It's so hard to find any info .. would love to hear from anyone that could help at all! Thanks in advance guys!!

P.S - We also plan on asking the clinic on Saturday but we don't want to seem like complete idiots if that is a crazy question!
    Last edited by rainbowbabe; 30-05-2013 at 19:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're in NSW and spent ages trying to find a clinic who would help us import swimmers for home insem, to no avail. It's not worth their time financially to help you and you can't just import it to your own place because of the donor laws and whatnot.

I'd try the FSDW website if you want a cheaper option than IVF/IUI.

Good luck :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did some more searching and found cyros international deal with private customers and send sperm directly. They still have limits on how many families one donor can have and also how many children in some countries. It would cost about the same as having to use a donor through a clinic here so it might be worth taking one go at it.

Always happy to hear what people have to say and what I can learn. Before coming on here I was so lost!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Plus you have to meet state donor law, customs law, and have a medical practitioner sign off on it. If you do find a way, let me know. I couldn't figure it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We will be sure to ask the clinic on Saturday. Like you said there is no real benefit to them but maybe they might let us buy the sperm and try ourselves.. We shall see. My DF and I know that this could end up costing a lot and that okay, it is worth it to us and important enough so that not our concern its that if we could find a way to do it then we would be able to afford many more rounds before having to take a break. For 1 round of IVF we could have up to 10 rounds of home insem. In the end IVF might be the least stressful so we will see. Are you TTC at the moment?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am 22 weeks to an anonymous donor from Victoria. I met him though DIY baby Australia. I think it's about a $20 joining fee. It took some time it was way quicker than I thought. I had to scroll through a few sleezes until I found my generous and very obliging donor. We never exchanged anything other than first names and email addresses. I had him take all the sti screenings and sperm screening as well. We did the inseminations in a hotel. It can be done you just need to be very clear what you want and meet a genuine donor with matching goals

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Arli, congratulations on your pregnancy and thank you so much for the info. Can I ask, did he want anything in return? Also how do the legalities work? Would he ever be able to claim rights to the child? That's my biggest fear I guess. I don't want my family to be hunted down and custody issues further down the track. Might seem like a silly question but I'm not sure how it works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was not wanting a father just someone whom the baby could contact when they are older and that suited him. Basically he is gay not wanting kids but wanting to pass on his genes. He does not know anything about me really and would have a hard time tracking me down. But technically if he wanted rights he would be entitled, so it's a huge leap of faith as I will tell him when bub arrives. It's not an easy decision and you can get contracts etc done but neither of us wanted that. Good luck to you

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great It's fantastic that you found a perfect match for what you are looking for and comfortable with!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey rainbowbabe, you have just asked all the questions I have been trying to answer myself so would love to know if you find anything out from your clinic visit!

We are in WA and Im fairly sure the laws here dont allow at home insemination (or at least would not recognise both of us as legal guardians if we did do it). But me and my partner like the idea of avoiding a clinic if possible - both for financial reasons and for a more enjoyable conception experience - so have been looking into other states to see if it is possible elsewhere but there is just no info to be found on home insemination with unknown donor sperm!

So yes, echoing what you have already asked, if anyone has any info on the laws in different states for this process and also how one goes about getting the unknown donor sperm if it is not through a clinic.

Thanks all!

AandS