+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Not in any 'concerted effort' way, if that makes sense.

I swapped her from formula to milk at 12mths, and from there it was a gradual process of increasing the solids and reducing the milk.

DD wasn't a great eater for the first 2yrs, and she was never that fussed about milk or formula either! We figured that she needed to be eating better (solids), and that the only way to do it was to cut back on the milk a bit (while still making sure she had calcium, etc.)

I can't remember exactly the age at which we did it, but we basically cut it back, and dropped all but the night milk (which, warmed, was part of her bedtime routine and I was too scared to drop that). She was yoghurt, cheese, etc., and her food intake gradually got better as her milk intake went down!

Sorry to not have a better memory of what happened when though...
    Thanks - it's funny how important stages/phases seem at the time and once they're over, they're gone from the memory. I find that happens a lot with DS and his stages, no idea what went down, just happy we got through it

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (30-05-2013),~Marigold~  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a 2 year old that still has bottles, ds1 had them til 3 and a half then Santa took them and ds2 gave it up completely at 12 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask why it's recommended to wean off bottles at 12 months? My DD never has one unattended, I always hold her when she's drinking so she doesn't take a sip here or there. Just has a bottle for a feed, then it's taken away.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Missy RJ For This Useful Post:

JesskaMay  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started DD on a bottle at 12 months, as long as she is drinking that and not wanting to get back on the boob, I am happy to let her drink from it until she is 18

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Bub turned 12 months and we went will a spill free tilt sippy cup. Cold turkey, no turning back. Bubs are very adaptable, it's often parents hesitations that are holding things back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Both mine were 2 when we went cold turkey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy RJ View Post
    Can I ask why it's recommended to wean off bottles at 12 months? My DD never has one unattended, I always hold her when she's drinking so she doesn't take a sip here or there. Just has a bottle for a feed, then it's taken away.
    It can cause tooth decay, because of the length of time it takes to to drink from a bottle as opposed to a cup, the sugars in the milk are in contact with the teeth for longer. Also if they are having too much milk after 12 months it can cause iron deficiency later on.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    It can cause tooth decay, because of the length of time it takes to to drink from a bottle as opposed to a cup, the sugars in the milk are in contact with the teeth for longer. Also if they are having too much milk after 12 months it can cause iron deficiency later on.
    I don't really see how it would be quicker to drink from a sippy cup than from a bottle. Especially a cup with a straw - it's pretty much exactly the same. My son only has a bottle when I'm holding him too - he never falls asleep with it in his mouth or anything - which is what I thought would be doing the tooth decaying.

He is 13 months and we have switched over to cows milk with a formula feed at night to give him the added nutrition just in case he isn't getting everything he needs, but I am curious as to the type of cup to give him. I tried giving him a tip up cup but it seemed to confuse him alot because he normally has water in that cup and he didn't want the milk.

Also, what is the recommended amount of milk? He has a bottle before each sleep (about 3 sleeps per day) so in total he is having 3 cows milk bottles (about 250ml) and a formula bottle before bed (200ml) how much is too much?

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bad parent here. DS was 3.5 before he self weaned. He only had one bottle in the morning at that point. We joked it was his morning coffee. He would always wake up really grumpy but after his morning bottle he was fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds had the bottle til around 2. Weaning to milk in a UHT container with a straw or a cup of milk with a straw.

Our dd still has a bottle at 20 months, but is only having 2 bottles a day. The rascal still wants it warmed or she won't drink it and will stubbornly wait til we give her warmed milk. Not sure what to do about that one, our ds couldn't care less about the temp of formula or milk. I think I'll gradually warm the milk less & less over time and see what happens. I'm in no rush to get rid of the bottle. Sippy cups are SO much harder to clean when they are filled with milk.