+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When and how did you wean off the bottle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    with ds he was a little over and and we just threw them all out and replaced then with sippy cups, he was none the wiser :-)

Dd had hers til 16 months and then she only had a bottle at night the rest was sippy cups then at 20 months we did the same ditched all the bottles and only gave sippies or normal cups, took her a few weeks to like it but now she's fine with it :-)

Sent from my PP4MT-7 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS was 14 months. We went on holiday and I accidently left his bottle in the fridge when we were changing hotels. I replaced the bottle the next day but he wouldn't have a bar of it. Yay!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS is nearly 18 months and he is having a bottle in the evening to go to sleep. I'm more bothered about him having oat milk in it than the actual bottle, he gets comfort from it. But I've just reintroduced the morning bottle , only because it's such a useful way for me to get a pro biotic into him and it keeps him occupied in his cot while I have a shower, no spills is a bonus. I gradually just kept introducing a sippy cup and he would watch up drink from a cup too when we were trying to wean, it was working but for convenience we've given up for a little while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD kind of dropped her lunchtime bottle on her own and then we stopped the morning one around 12mo I think. The bedtime bottle was the last to go and we stopped it somewhere around 18mo. She didn't seem to miss it at all. I didn't replace it with cups of cows milk as she has milk on her cereal plus yoghurt and cheese every day so she gets the recommended dairy intake. She just drinks water from sippy/straw cups now, and occasionally a cup of milk at daycare.

I was very happy to ditch the bottles! So much easier without them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was 12mths, and I'd read that it was better for her teeth to be drinking from a cup rather than a bottle, so I decided to switch her.

I started by replacing the midday bottle with a cup then, a few days later, switched the night time one, and then the morning one. And that was it.

It took a few goes to find a type of cup she liked. She hadn't mastered the ones you have to tip up, but the Nuby ones with straws were an instant hit, and she still has them for water now (at nearly 3).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    DD was 12mths, and I'd read that it was better for her teeth to be drinking from a cup rather than a bottle, so I decided to switch her.

I started by replacing the midday bottle with a cup then, a few days later, switched the night time one, and then the morning one. And that was it.

It took a few goes to find a type of cup she liked. She hadn't mastered the ones you have to tip up, but the Nuby ones with straws were an instant hit, and she still has them for water now (at nearly 3).
    We're the opposite here, DS only drinks from the tip cups. I wish DS could use the ones with straws - just doesn't get it. The teeth thing with bottles is a worry of mine too. Does your DD only have water in her sippy cups?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    We're the opposite here, DS only drinks from the tip cups. I wish DS could use the ones with straws - just doesn't get it. The teeth thing with bottles is a worry of mine too. Does your DD only have water in her sippy cups?
    Now? Almost entirely. She's nearly 3, and does't really have milk any more. She'll sometimes have half a cup after dinner, and then we brush her teeth afterwards. She's never had juice or anything like that - just water throughout the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Now? Almost entirely. She's nearly 3, and does't really have milk any more. She'll sometimes have half a cup after dinner, and then we brush her teeth afterwards. She's never had juice or anything like that - just water throughout the day.
    Did you need to wean her from the milk when she was younger? I'm struggling with this at the moment, I keep going back and forth with it and not making any progress. I really feel like I should be getting rid of the milk and just water. He only drinks oat milk and water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not in any 'concerted effort' way, if that makes sense.

I swapped her from formula to milk at 12mths, and from there it was a gradual process of increasing the solids and reducing the milk.

DD wasn't a great eater for the first 2yrs, and she was never that fussed about milk or formula either! We figured that she needed to be eating better (solids), and that the only way to do it was to cut back on the milk a bit (while still making sure she had calcium, etc.)

I can't remember exactly the age at which we did it, but we basically cut it back, and dropped all but the night milk (which, warmed, was part of her bedtime routine and I was too scared to drop that). She was yoghurt, cheese, etc., and her food intake gradually got better as her milk intake went down!

Sorry to not have a better memory of what happened when though...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (30-05-2013)