+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Toddler teeth cleaning..

The other dentist thread got me thinking (again) about DS teeth. Just wondering how others go cleaning their toddler children's teeth...? what age should I really worry about getting stuck into it properly?

DS is good with putting it the toothbrush his mouth and that's about it - every time I try to have a go myself with a toothbrush or face washer he either runs away or clamps his mouth shut. I don't want to make it an ordeal for him but I'm worried about his molars! We've recently been giving him his toothbrush in the bath (a tip from another hubber from another of my teeth cleaning threads) but he's not really brushing.

He's not a sit still, sit on nap kind of a kid either, he's really, really active!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've brushed their teeth since they first got teeth, so by the time they were toddlers they were used to the routine.
    Perhaps the smallest smear of toothpaste will help?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rarity For This Useful Post:

babyla  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The macleans nurdle app is a brilliant thing. Dd started getting whingy about doing it at about 2 (after almost 18 months of brushing)

Now every night she's telling me its nurdle time. It has a demo at the start to show the kids how to brush so that could be a good help.

** sent from outer space **

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turk EnJayDee For This Useful Post:

babyla  (30-05-2013),Cue  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have done my daughters teeth from when she first got teeth and she is now 2 and she still doesnt like it but it still gets done every day.
    I find she likes it better if she gets a chance to brush her teeth herself after I have had a good go, she also likes watching me brush my teeth, and she likes it when she gets to brush her dolls teeth

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sandramm1 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started brushing my ds's teeth from the moment a few teeth had come through, I found that a picture book about teeth cleaning and showing yucky bugs when not brushing. My ds who's 2 loves brushing his teeth keen to get rid of all the yucky bugs I let the boys brush themselves for a bit and then I finish off and will continue to assist them for with teeth brushing for many years yet.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

babyla  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its always been a real struggle brushing DS's teeth but now that he's nearly 3 he's fiiiiiinallly getting used to it. I cant always get him to do it in the morning but I do it every night while we're in the shower. I use the tiniest bit of kids toothpaste as he refuses otherwise.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bennos Mummy For This Useful Post:

babyla  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks everyone, don't get me wrong we have also been cleaning his teeth since he first got them, swapping between a brush and a face washer but recently he just doesn't want us to do anything for him let alone get anywhere near his teeth - this also goes for wiping his nose, hates it!

He's fine putting the brush in himself which is great not sure how good a job he's doing though. So when you take over and brush for your kids, if they're not into it, how do you make it happen? I feel like I'll really have to force him and it won't be nice, as in it will be a real battle, tears, wriggles and screaming, do I persist through this?

I'll definitely get the mcleans app and some books too. We always brush our teeth in front of him and he's very interested but does not want any assistance

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have brushed DS teeth since they first popped up. DS brushes his teeth while I (of DF) do mine then when I am finished I do DS teeth myself. He is happy with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found in woolies some toothbrushes that light up for 1min (not very expensive, there is spiderman etc). We play a game every morning and night with DS3 that he brushes for one light (1min) and then mum or dad brush his teeth for 1min worth of light going on. Works great, DS3 gets a practice and then we help too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bel2466 View Post
    I found in woolies some toothbrushes that light up for 1min (not very expensive, there is spiderman etc). We play a game every morning and night with DS3 that he brushes for one light (1min) and then mum or dad brush his teeth for 1min worth of light going on. Works great, DS3 gets a practice and then we help too.
    Oh cool thats a great idea! Will be on the lookout for them.

Ds is 20 months and doesnt like his mouth or his face touch/cleaned. We give him his brush to do himself while I run his bath then I get a quick go in by dancing around and singing. Would love it to be easier haha!