+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Babies should not have more than about 20ml of water, only formula or breastmilk. It can actually be toxic to them to have too much water which is why the formula tins say not to water it down at all. I would say you have a good plan in place with leaving lots of bm and getting formula if by some chance they should run out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timetoshine View Post
    Babies should not have more than about 20ml of water, only formula or breastmilk. It can actually be toxic to them to have too much water which is why the formula tins say not to water it down at all. I would say you have a good plan in place with leaving lots of bm and getting formula if by some chance they should run out
    What the! Now I have heard it all. Not sure how water can be toxic, especially if it is cooled boiled water. They simply wouldn't be getting any nutrients but atleast wouldn't get dehydrated. I would think that giving formula for the first time would have a higher risk of being toxic to the baby than water.

I by no means am saying there is anything wrong with formula if that is how you choose to feed but it can often take alot of trial and error to find one that is suitable to your baby. I personally would prefer my child to be given water over formula to tide them over til I got there if needed.

As for how much, I second missie macks advice on having small amounts to top up. DS by the above formula should have been taking 150mls per feed, but when dh was giving him a bottle of EBM at night he wouldn't settle unless he got 200-220mls.

Now he has around 160mls most times when I am at work. Sometimes mum defrosts a little extra if he wants it (I have frozen some EBM in ice cube trays to assist with this).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was advised by my chn when dd was little (fully breast fed). It can change the sodium ratio in the body and cause seizures and other issues. I understand that formula fed babies may need some water but op breast feeds hence I was sharing the advice I have been given

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timetoshine View Post
    I was advised by my chn when dd was little (fully breast fed). It can change the sodium ratio in the body and cause seizures and other issues. I understand that formula fed babies may need some water but op breast feeds hence I was sharing the advice I have been given
    Yes- water intoxication it's called. It's a risk factor for young bubs (under 6 months),

http://www.hopkinschildrens.org/newsdetail.aspx?id=4844

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I personally would give cooled boiled water over formula for a breastfed baby. Reason being is that the first time a baby takes formula it strips the gut and takes four weeks for the flora to return to normal. That is just with one bottle. Considering breastmilk is 88% water, I think this is the better option when caught out for a short term fix.
    Thanks for that but if my mum runs out of EBM I will advise her to give him formula. Appreciate your opinion though.

As I said, my plan is to leave her with plenty of frozen milk so I'm sure it won't even be an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't forgot to look after yourself if you will be away from baby for that long. You will probably need to express a number of times to make sure you don't get too uncomfortable or get blockages etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    Don't forgot to look after yourself if you will be away from baby for that long. You will probably need to express a number of times to make sure you don't get too uncomfortable or get blockages etc.
    Yes I have given this some consideration and think I will take my small hand pump with me to express. Good advice, thank you