+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much EBM for an overnight stay?

My mum will be babysitting my son for approximately 20 to 24 hours (overnight) and I am trying to work out how much EBM to leave with her. My son will be 11 weeks old at the time and I estimate he will weigh 6kg.

I have plenty of EBM in the freezer and he has no problems with a bottle so I just need to work out how much milk he will need.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The formula I've been told to use is 150ml x weight in kg / number of feeds in the day and that will tell you how much bub needs per feed (I always add an extra 20mL to that number just in case she's more hungry). You could send extra that is still frozen and put it in the freezer at your mums house and if she doesn't need it, take it home for you to put back in your freezer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    The formula I've been told to use is 150ml x weight in kg / number of feeds in the day and that will tell you how much bub needs per feed (I always add an extra 20mL to that number just in case she's more hungry). You could send extra that is still frozen and put it in the freezer at your mums house and if she doesn't need it, take it home for you to put back in your freezer.
    Exactly this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the replies. Yes I will send extra frozen milk and put it straight in Mums freezer so I can take it home again if it is not used.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    My mum recently babysat and I took all of the frozen bm I had which was probably 7-800ml. She just defrosted as she needed.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tadpoles View Post
    My mum recently babysat and I took all of the frozen bm I had which was probably 7-800ml. She just defrosted as she needed.

Thanks for that. How old is your baby, how long did your mum babysit, and how much of the milk did you have left over?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    That formula is a bit controversial. I would just take lots in small amounts so it is easy to top up on without wasting. Sometimes they won't take it if it doesn't come from Mum too
    Thanks for your reply. He has no problem taking a bottle of EBM from anyone so I cannot foresee that being a problem. Good idea about the small denominations too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    My little guy was a big eater and this formula always worked for us.

A bit controversial, but I would also have some formula on hand at mums just in case something goes wrong (broken fridge / power outage / accidental spillage etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by TeBe View Post
    Thanks for that. How old is your baby, how long did your mum babysit, and how much of the milk did you have left over?
    He is 4 months old. She babysat him from 5:30pm-9am and he had 5 bottles in that time. He took 45ml, 100 ml, 90 ml, 60ml and 110 ml so I ended up with approx 300 leftover.

Will you be close by in case she runs out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I won't be close by. I will be about an hours drive away.

Mum or dad could always go to the nearby chemist to get some formula if they run out of EBM but I will make sure I leave her with plenty so that should not happen.