+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Is the wine a new thing? Wine has sooo many calories! The rest of your diet looks fine to me. I would just swap the wine to a gin and tonic or vodka and soda. And maybe have snacks in the car to have before dinner so you don't overeat at dinner time.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app
    How can I go past the idea of more Vodka in my day! great idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nuts have healthy fats in them. I usually have a small handful a day for a snack.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rarity For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (30-05-2013),jenjenOo  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fat will not make you fat they help with keeping you full. Stay away from trans fat though. Just make sure you are keeping an eye on your portion sizes.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Teenz For This Useful Post:

3cats1pug  (31-05-2013),HugsBunny  (30-05-2013),jenjenOo  (30-05-2013),Rarity  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi jen,
    I also went through this recently, after having no problems with losing weight and keeping it off (except for pregnancy) for the last five years.
    I have insulin resistance and high cortisol levels which also affect how my body processes and uses the food I give it.
    After the kids I did shake diets and they worked fine to lose the baby weight and then healthy eating and exercise kept it stable.
    However, my hormones have now switched back and I'm having to completely wipe added sugars from diet and go low-gi options on everything.
    I did initially try the shake diet again when I found out I had put so much weight on but I was so hungry, flakey, tired...and cranky!
    As someone said, give the biccies a miss and go for a low-gi alternative for your breads and stick to one portion per meal. So, don't not have breads, but go for a low-gi version of them, including snacks. Cashews, walnuts and almonds are great. 2-3 pieces of fruit a day and a little more protein just as pp have said. Try to always have protein with carb. Doesn't always have to be meat - try eggs or legumes too.
    Try some other grains, ie. quinoa, pearl barley, brown rice. They are filling and better for us and can be added to soups and salads. Make sure you eat fruit over fruit juice - more filling, more fibre.
    Peanut butter or hommus are great for dips for veg.
    I'm slowly losing again and trying to come up with a plan that is sustainable...and enjoyable that gives me enough energy to do a decent workout, run the house, study and look after my kids every day.
    I'm also trialling no dairy - but that is to see if it helps with the acne, not for weight loss - otherwise I'd also be snacking on Jalna too - yum!
    Hot drinks are interesting as I have tea and trialling the no-sugar hot choc with almond milk. Trying to spread the treats out is interesting. Will let you know if I come across anything else.

I do have a question for the other posters though - Does anyone know how I can eat my homemade museli still - it was filling and tastey - nuts, seeds, fruit, oats, bran, - other than protein powder - what could I add to balance it?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

jenjenOo  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm also currently eating lowGI due to gestational diabetes. Before that I've had good success losing and keeping weight off with calorie counting - not restrictive super-low calories, just making sure that the calories I do eat are not empty (refined sugars, alcohol etc) so my body uses them for good. I would also always calculate what I burnt through exercise and eat that extra bit back, otherwise I'd feel starving and end up pigging out.

Little Ted, your museli should be OK but you may need to cut back the fruit in it. I make porridge with rolled oats and add a tablespoon on each sunflower seeds, linseed meal and almonds and half a tablespoon of sultanas made with full cream milk. This keeps my sugars good.

Jen, I'd recommend spreading your food out through your day, making your snacks bigger and meals smaller. DO plan a travel-home snack such as low fat cheese and ryvita, a lower-sugar museli bar, half an english muffin with cheese and tomato etc. That way you will be less inclined to pig out come dinner time.

As a motivator to help cut down the biscuits and wine here's the math.

1 x small glass of wine (120ml) = 82 calories
    1 x thin slice of white bread = 76 calories

Think of every glass of wine as a slice of bread!

4 x Tim Tam original biscuits = 393 calories
    1 x Lean Cuisine Classic Beef Lasagne = 409 calories

Yes, 4 biscuits equals a whole dinner's worth of calories!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

jenjenOo  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Stretched for the reassurance - the fruit that's in it is just some sultanas and a little cranberries, also with flaked almonds, etc., was just making sure it wasn't too much of a carb hit without enough protein and not sure how to add more of this in without using a protein powder. Have been trialling baked beans on a slice of low-gi bread or poached egg on bread, but am missing my museli and wanted to make sure it was okay. It's great to have someone on here with your experience. I just made up a big lot of chicken and veg soup with pearl barley today and it was a lot better than the last lot of chicken soup I made! Usually I do a pumpkin and veg soup, but felt like variety.

As for Tim Tams - we've had two packets of them sitting in the fridge since well before Easter (so a few months) as they were on sale and grabbed them for 'just in case' visitors. BUT...how nice would a Tim Tam slam be?!

I think the hardest thing that I've found over the years is friends, family or acquaintances that don't understand the differences between their metabolism and mine and have repeatedly had goes at me if I skip dessert or tend to avoid certain foods - that eating a regular diet doesn't work and weight slowly creeps on. I think more education needs to occur at a younger age to inform people that 'regular diet and exercise' doesn't work for everyone and the scope of metabolisms and diets that need to exist for people to maintain good health. I think there is a big stigma that if you put on weight then you must be eating a lot of junk and not exercising.

Jen, I think there are so many people out there who find them in this place and feel as though they must be doing something so wrong compared to others...in the end a lot of it comes down to what we are born with, but I think you're on the right track in refining your diet and exercising as you have been.

My mother always blamed me for my weight problem when I was growing up - I now know it was a mixture of my hormones, what she was feeding me and when we were eating (some nights 8-9pm as we waited for my father to come home). Since I left home the only time I have been overweight was when I first started work after uni and got quite sick, but that only lasted about a year until I got on top of it. I'm so glad that through my experience I will be more open minded if my children ever need to have a particular diet.

We are so fortunate these days to have such a variety of foods available. Hope you find something that works Jen. Just as an aside - have you had any testing done to check sugar levels, etc?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

jenjenOo  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post

Jen, I'd recommend spreading your food out through your day, making your snacks bigger and meals smaller. DO plan a travel-home snack such as low fat cheese and ryvita, a lower-sugar museli bar, half an english muffin with cheese and tomato etc. That way you will be less inclined to pig out come dinner time.

As a motivator to help cut down the biscuits and wine here's the math.

1 x small glass of wine (120ml) = 82 calories
    1 x thin slice of white bread = 76 calories

Think of every glass of wine as a slice of bread!

4 x Tim Tam original biscuits = 393 calories
    1 x Lean Cuisine Classic Beef Lasagne = 409 calories

Yes, 4 biscuits equals a whole dinner's worth of calories!
    I got some time to properly reply, finally.

This actually made an impact.
    I've never been a Tim Tam crazy girl and I rarely eat a lot of junk food without experiencing large amounts of guilt because I swam competitively from 4-15 and danced after that. So, I had to watch myself as I had naturally bigger thighs and got teased mercilessly for it.

The wine however is a weakness. I work in a high stress job and I kinda (seriously without sounding up myself) wear the pants at home. I earn more than DP, run the household and make sure he's taken care of because he's so exhausted by his work a lot. So wine and winding down seem to fit perfectly for me. The bread comment shook me a little! It'll work!!!

Little Ted: I get my glucose levels checked a lot. I have too much iron in my blood so I'm always on top of bloods.
    I think it's a case of mid 30s biting my ***. I've been used to a fast metabolism but, now I'm probably pretty normal and I've gotta stop taking things for granted and start working harder!!

Thanks everyone for all your advice.
    I like to think I know a lot about nutrition but, this made it clear; I really don't know that much. There are so many great ideas and I'll be an adult and utilize them.
    Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    As for Tim Tams - we've had two packets of them sitting in the fridge since well before Easter (so a few months) as they were on sale and grabbed them for 'just in case' visitors. BUT...how nice would a Tim Tam slam be?!
    Droooooooooool!!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tim Tams were just as an example - even 'boring' biscuits like Nice etc that tend to be in work biscuit barrels are pretty shocking for calories! They've also proven to be high on the avoid list for my blood sugars, but biscuits on the whole are such a weakness of mine!

Little Ted - I've also found veg and barley soup to be better on my blood sugars than I expected, since I also put a bit of potato and sweet potato in it. Another breakfast that works well is Special K - higher in protein than most (just don't go the home brand, totally different and little protein).

I can't stomach protein shakes but love the shake powder mixed in with some natural yoghurt for a snack too!

I agree though that we are all so different, hence why a 'diet' will work for one person but not for another. I also think it's important not to get frustrated if it takes a little while to work out what works for you.

Also Jen, I meant to ask. You mention that you've had 1.5l of hot water in the day - is this in your tea/coffee or in addition to that? I find my system works better when I drink lots of water on its own regardless of how many cuppas I do or don't have that day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Stretched - will check out the Special K. I crave variety