+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default IVF and PGD - anyone have high % of abnormal eggs an go on to get pregnant?

Just did our second IVF ICSI cycle and decided to use PGD (the advanced embryo testing) as last time we only had two goo looking embryos (one tht miscarried early and one that did not work at all).

Interestingly enough all of our embryos came back totally abnormal (except for one that was inconclusive and they are retesting).

Doctor seems positive with this although for me I am a numbers girl and 0/5 does not seem like good odds to me.

Add on all of our additional problems - me, endo, low AMH, low fsh levels and late ovulation, my husband low sperm morphology I just feel like giving up.

its so hard because the last year we took of from ttc was the best year ever no pressure no expectations but I am worried that if we give up now I feel like I have failed.. But what's the alternative? Keep wasting time, money and energy on something that might never happen?
    Last edited by nattie84; 30-05-2013 at 08:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nattie,
    We have been in the same boat where we did a PGD array cycle with IVFA and our embryos were either abnormal or inconclusive therefore we did not get a transfer. I stress our case was quite different to yours as I was much older than you are when we did the cycle (36) and we had also had 3 chem pregs and 3 mcs (one of them a natural miscarriage just after the PGD cycle) which informed our decision to move onto donor eggs and the next transfer resulted in my current pregnancy.

I did see SimpsonDesert's post to you about the possibiity of trying a day 5 biopsy which seems to give greater accuracy of results and I have to confess this is something I have always wondered about, particularly since we moved to Genea not long after this and you seem to still be pulling great egg numbers (unlike us at that stage). We also had multiple other challenges including sperm issues etc which defintely aren't insurmountable with the right technology to manage them.

Going through IVF is hard enough without the added stress of the significant additional financial costs and angst associated with a PGD cycle. Good luck with whatever decision you make
    Last edited by Starf1sh; 30-05-2013 at 12:01. Reason: add info

Thanks
    Reviews
    The doc just called and a miracle has happened, the embryo they retested is normal!! Now for a FET next month. Back on the rollercoaster!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nattie, I have been lurking and reading your story, and just wanted to send you a and a for the normal embryo! Best wishes for your FET.

You're still young and have some good egg numbers as Starfish says, hopefully this one will be the lucky one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies!

i just wanted to add that yes I am young but I have low AMH which means my eggs are basically that of a 35 year old and therefore time is not in my side and my fertility age is not young.

FYI http://ivf.com.au/ovarian-reserve-amh-test

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great news Nattie, hope this is the one! Don't get too fixated on the AMH level, you have a lot of good things still going for you, besides lots of women here would kill for an AMH of 11!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Starf1sh For This Useful Post:

nattie84  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Nattie!

I would definitely not give up yet. We are with Genea and have to have PGD for our embryos as both hubby and I are CF carriers, although we didn't know this until we started our ivf journey which was for other reasons. We did our first cycle back in 2009 and got 4 embies which were tested on day 6...only one was successful! 2 didn't make it and 1 didn't thaw. When we started again at the end of last year after our last failed FET, our FS suggested we do the CGH testing as well which was a godsend! We did a full cycle in November and only got 1 embryo to day 6 (after 14 eggs were retrieved, 13 were mature, 8 fertilised and 5 made it to day 3...we only got 1 which was devastating) then we did a batching cycle in January and got 14 eggs, all mature, 8 fertilised (was thinking oh here we go again!) and managed to get 1 on day 5 and 5 on day 6 (so we had 7 embryos tested). I expected wonderful results with those numbers...until results day! We ended up with 2 embryos suitable for transfer. 2 were affected by CF, 3 were chromosomally abnormal and the 2 that were chromosomally fine are CF carriers (so healthy, just like me and hubby). Our first "perfect" embie didn't work and I was certain it would however our second and last embryo has taken, and I am currently 7wks pregnant. I had NO idea just how common it was to have abnormalities in your embryos. If we had been able to have the CGH testing first time around I am sure the other 3 would have been abnormal. It is so common to have abnormal embryos, and with one bad result, you could have a fantastic result on a second cycle. The odds of a successful pregnancy increase a lot following PGD testing this little good emby might be the one for you!

Sorry its a bit of an essay, but just wanted you to know that its a really really hard road, and sometimes knowing too much can be just as hard as not knowing at all, but knowing now that my chances of miscarriage have reduced because of the testing, I feel much better going forward. And I also know if something does go wrong, there is nothing more we could have done to get a good result, it will be totally out of our hands.

GOOD LUCK with your FET, I really hope this is the one for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and PS we had decided that our last go would be the absolute last. We could no longer justify the amount of money it was costing for PGD, and the amount of stress we were under was affecting our marriage. We were very lucky we have one little boy of course so if we didn't have him our decision may have been different. But only you know how long you need to keep going xoxo

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gilliebean1 For This Useful Post:

nattie84  (04-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much gilliebean. The positive of the PGD is that we had four embryos that made it to day 5 blast and all looked amazing, we would have spent an extra $1,500 per frozen cycle totalling $6,000 plus time and heartache of BFNs plus possible miscarriages, so considering PGD at our clinic is $3,500 we saved $2,500.

The other miracle embryo as we are calling it lucky number 5 would have normally been disregarded as it fertilised a little later than the others, but the PGD testing came back all normal so we saved an embryo!

it makes u wonder how many good embryos are disregarded!

I have also read though that results on one cell may not always be accurate... Doc seems to disagree so I won't waste anymore time on that.... It's just so hard when you are clutching at straws!

We were ready to give up but are hoping for our miracle!
    Congrats on ur BFP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I agree! We had 2 that didn't fertilise properly, and we were told that under normal circumstances they would have been disregarded. So of the 8 we had that fertilised well, we managed an extra 2!! One was even a grade 3 with no inner cell mass which means no baby, but because of the PGD they let it go to see what happened. On day 5, still nothing, come day 6, it suddenly had an inner cell mass and was able to be tested! Sadly it did have chromosome issues so was ultimately discarded anyway and the other one that they let go ran out of puff before the finish line, but still, the fact that they kept going when they would otherwise have been discarded does make you wonder just how many potentially good embryos that are just a little slow, are missed!

And you are right, when you look at things from another perspective, you could have had so much heartache if those embryos hadn't been tested which would have been harder to deal with (IMO) than being told off the bat that they weren't good embryos.

Don't stop hoping for your miracle!! IVF really is the pits, add to that the stress of genetic testing and other issues that cause you problems, its really does suck!! But don't give up!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gilliebean1 For This Useful Post:

nattie84  (11-06-2013)