+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default My dog pees inside

I have a Maltese terrier. She's generally a good dog.
    But within about two minutes of being inside the house (after being outside all day) she would pee inside.
    She doesn't pee in the same spot. She would go anywhere
    When she's in the back door is open for her to go back out.

She's really annoying me. To a point where I'm not letting her in.
    At night she sleeps in the laundry and won't pee at all.

What can I do? She is not getting it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is she?

Has she just started doing this? Maybe she has an infection or underlying issue?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My maltese shin tzu started peeing inside when we were at work (never done it before) about the same time I entered 2nd trimester. He is 8 so I'm putting it down to age or stress about the pregnancy but we did to to get him checked out for an infection so its worth seeing your vet. We try not to scold him about it because we would rather he did it in the same place so we can find it and clean it than go off and hide and do it secretly! Hopefully your little one gets over it soon or you find something that works for both of you x

Thanks
    Reviews
    No advice, but one of our dogs has started randomly peeing inside as well in one of our spare bedrooms. Was also wondering if its a reaction to my pregnancy. He's always been quite 'switched on' in regards to changes and gets sulky as soon as one of us starts packing to go away. And has never peed inside in the 5 years we've had him once he was toilet trained.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Go and get her checked for an infection or signs of kidney disease.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Incontinence is commonin desexed female dogs, our border collie has it. If she is not doing it intentionally it could be that? Like if its trickling when she walks or there is a puddle when she stands up. If it is intentional I know my mums maltese hates walking on cold wet grass and will go to the toilet on the concrete and something similar could be an issue? I would start at the vets and get any medical causes ruled out because incontinence can be treated with medication. Then perhaps if it is behavioural speak to some dog trainers for some tips. Our male border collie wees on everything when he is inside so I know how annoying it is! He is banned to the backyard as we are renting but no amount of discipline or training stopped him from doing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's less than 3 years old. I've trained her but just can't seem to stop her from doing it inside. But she can hold it all night when she's asleep in the laundry.
    It's a wee puddle so it's not scattered.
    I'm not pregnant. (Yeah!!) lol
    But I'm thinking its a habit now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you try distraction? Keep an eye on her inside, when you see her squat down clap your hands loudly and abruptly tell her no, then pick her up and put her outside. I also tell her it's a shame and its disappointing that she did that while I'm taking her outside. I do this with my dog and she knows as soon as I clap my hands now she has done something she shouldn't have, same with if I mention the word shame she puts her head down or quickly goes to lay down somewhere.
    If you are persistent she will pick up that she's doing the wrong thing. It's a bad idea to rub their noses in it or anything like that.

Other thing you could try is some of the puppy pee mats? They are apparently scented to entice them to wee on them or something.. Maybe you could place one beside your back door so she sees/smells/uses it on her way inside?

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will try the distraction method. I tried the pee mat in the laundry but she tore it up.
    I keep her outside cause I was getting frustrated with her.
    Next week I'm having a quiet week so I will spend time with her and try again.
    Might try the pee mat at the back door.
    Thanks for the tips.

It's annoying she's a good dog but she pees inside so now she's an outside dog.
    My fault as I should try harder. Will have to get back into training her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With one of my dogs I had to use a method where when the dog peed, and you have to catch them doing it, I would put her on the leash, or grab her by the collar, and keep her with me while I cleaned it up, grumbling the whole time with occasional comments to her saying things like 'you naughty dog'. When the cleaup was finished, put her outside immediately and ignore her for at least one hour.
    By catching them in the act, and grumbling while cleaning it up, they know exactly what you are cranky about. They realize that their pack leader is annoyed at what they have done, and soon realize that they have to go outside to keep you happy. Dogs are pack animals and their first instinct is to keep the leader happy.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app