+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cracked nipple help

I've recently had the pleasure of developing an excruciatingly painful cracked nipple on one side. Unfortunately it's also my 'good' side so I can't risk not feeding from it. I've also never been a good 'expresser', so can't rely on that to keep my supply up.

I'm using Lansinoh cream, airing off after a feed, nipple shield (which he hates). It's been increasingly getting worse for a week now. DS2 is 12wks, this is the first time it's happened.

I'm firstly after any useful tips to help it heal faster. Secondly after experience on how long it should take?

The pain for the first few minutes after latching is so unbelievably painful that it's making me hate b/f which saddens me. We are already having other major issues with allergies and reflux, so this is just adding fuel to the fire for those trying to push me to switch to prescription formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My baby is 6 weeks and I had really bad ones too. My GP told me to express some breast milk onto my nipples everytime I think of it (I tried every hour) and let it dry.

Have you seen a LC? I went to see one at my local clinic and she really helped. I think mine were basically from my baby not latching properly. I found the football hold helped a bit and also pulling his bottom lip down once he latches to make sure he is on properly. Have you tried lie down feeds?

I feel for you they are SO painful I was using the laninosh too but found it wasn't really working. The only other thing that worked for me was to express with an electric pump on the sorest one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't give too much advice because I had so much trouble breast feeding I just think I'm terrible at it! I got very cracked nipples also (I'm squirming just thinking about it) and I found the rite aid hydrogel breast discs worked wonders. I don't know why they work or how but the relief was great and I could see a difference in my nipples after only a few hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sudocreme works but you do need to wash off before a feed.

Can you use a nipple shield whilst it heals?

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Express a little bit of milk onto your nipple and try letting it dry in the sun!

I had split nipples and vasospasms and after a week of getting them into the sun for about 5-10 mins a day they were healed!

Also avent sell cup type things that you can wear in place of breast pads so it helps them get even more air time

Good luck! I hope it heals quickly for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Paw paw cream is the absolute best for cracked bleeding nipples. Put it on after every feed.

As a bonus it is great for nappy rash too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The above posts sound great - applying breast milk and letting them dry then adding some paw paw cream (but cleaning off before a feed of course) and letting them dry out. I was also told by a midwife to stop bf, just for three days - and pump, just to give them a head start. Is it your first or have you had a baby before? If it's not your first, then I would assume that you know how to latch them properly to avoid damage that way, but if it's the way the baby is sucking, perhaps seeing a lc is the way to go to get some tips on how to change bub's habits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A friend just gave me these compress things that are amazing! As in I healed in 1 day!

they come in a box with lots of sachets, the sachets are white with a bit of purple writing. They aren't the cheapest thing apparently. It has like a gel on it that helps heal, and the gel is safe for bubs so no need to wash off.

Will try to remember to come back with the name later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A midwife told me to fill 2 newborn nappies with water and freeze them then put one on each breast - the relief is amazing!! Hope it heals for you, that pain is insane :-( I expressed and bottle fed for about 5 days, but they were probably healed enough after 2-3 days but I was just too scared to try any earlier. It then took about a week or so after I started feeding again for it to be painless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found using a different hold for a few feeds helped as the pressure point from bubs mouth is in a different spot on the nipple, therefore the cracked area can heal. Try the football hold for a few feeds or feed lying down to get different spots.