+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Staceyj13 View Post
    My issue is the way they come here we have laws in place and people should follow them
    What law is that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My views on asylums seekers changed when that boat crashed and so many died its not right to let people do that
    I agree, we should be sending them planes to bring them over.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (30-05-2013),beebs  (30-05-2013),MilkingMaid  (14-06-2013),MrJones&Me  (01-06-2013),mummabec  (31-05-2013),orlyon  (02-06-2013),RobinSparkles  (30-05-2013),smallpotatoes  (14-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    I don't think we'll every really know why Australia has had a huge spike. The number of people coming in via boats has increased, there is no denying that. I don't get how that is the governments fault though. It's not like they've put up big signs in the middle of the ocean saying "Australia this way". As much as people want to believe that the government can control the number of boats they simply can't. The boats will continue to come if (I say "if" trying to be optomistic) the liberals get in and won't fkface...I mean Abbott look like a bigger tool (if that's possible) when he's trying to defend himself against the same abuse Gillard is copping.

Father - to answer you, again. Take a pick of any of the wars that are currently raging. Maybe the ongoing conflict in the Middle East. Or how about the Tamils who are escaping from Sri Lanka? Sure the civil war may officially be over but there is still a lot unrest.

At January 31, 2013, 47 per cent of detainees were Sri Lankan nationals, 13 per cent from Iran and 11 per cent from Afghanistan.
    This (taken from here) would support that theory.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

beebs  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    The law states they are legally able to seek asylum. So how are they breaking the law? I am being genuine, I'm not trying to be smart, I really want to understand how people can be so unmoved by the plight of people fleeing war.
    Well when a boat pulls up the government doesn't open their arms and say welcome to Australia they lock them up so wouldn't that mean they are breaking the law

Don't get me wrong my heart breaks that those poor people have to het on a boat but there must be a safer way for them to get here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If it wasn't illegal to seek asylum why do they send them to detention centres

My views on asylums seekers changed when that boat crashed and so many died its not right to let people do that
    Contrary to popular belief detention centres aren't jails, people aren't sent their because they have broken the law, they are sent there while their applications are being processed, their criminal checks and health.

Those refugees weren't responsible for the boat crashing, that was the people smugglers and I can guarantee that most people on here do NOT agree with people smugglers and what they do to make money.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (30-05-2013),HollyGolightly81  (30-05-2013),risfaerie  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Contrary to what the media and the politicians of this country would have you believe, it is not illegal to seek asylum by whatever means. There are far more people overstaying their visas, which is illegal, than seeking asylum by boat.
    It is illegal to enter the country without a visa IAW the Migration Act 1958 Sect 13 & 14.

So arriving by boat without a visa is illegal. Feel free to show me the legislation that shows otherwise.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

Staceyj13  (30-05-2013)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If it wasn't illegal to seek asylum why do they send them to detention centres

Because the law makers are massive jerks who are not complying with the international obligations we signed up for under the Refugee Convention. They knowingly use loaded terms in speeches that are completely false that plays into the general racist sentiment in this country.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (31-05-2013),orlyon  (02-06-2013),smallpotatoes  (14-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    The law states they are legally able to seek asylum. So how are they breaking the law? I am being genuine, I'm not trying to be smart, I really want to understand how people can be so unmoved by the plight of people fleeing war.
    I'm not meaning to be a smarty pants either just trying to answer your question. I think it's not necessarily a case of people not being moved by the plight of those fleeing war. I think it's more about people believing a big chunk of people who arrive by boat are not genuine refugees.
    - people find it hard to get their head around the fact that wealthy people (who can afford to pay smugglers) can be refugees
    - a few bad eggs have slipped through under false refugee claims (think Capt Emad). People get worried that the portion of false claims is much higher than it is.
    - the number of refugees Australia takes each year is limited. To some extent those that have enough money to pay a smuggler are taking spots away from those with less money that are stuck in camps in Pakistan... Malaysia etc. That wealthy people are able to take spots from poor people... That makes a lot of Australians feel uncomfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Generally speaking ‘illegal immigrants’ are people who enter a country without meeting the legal requirements for entry (without a valid visa, for example). However, under Article 14 of the 1948 Universal declaration of human rights, everyone has the right to seek asylum and the 1951 Refugee Convention prohibits states from imposing penalties on those entering ‘illegally’ who come directly from a territory where their life or freedom is threatened.[7] = From Parliament of Australia website.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Mellybel  (31-05-2013),MrJones&Me  (01-06-2013),orlyon  (02-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Contrary to popular belief detention centres aren't jails, people aren't sent their because they have broken the law, they are sent there while their applications are being processed, their criminal checks and health.

Those refugees weren't responsible for the boat crashing, that was the people smugglers and I can guarantee that most people on here do NOT agree with people smugglers and what they do to make money.
    I didn't say they were responsible for the boat crashing what I'm trying to say is there must be a better why to help people come to our country a safer way the government might not be able to stop the boats but i would think they could help people come here safer