+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    From the paper today:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226664169170

This needs to be stopped. This is not how you are supposed to immigrate to Australia.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1371354314.292919.jpg

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (17-06-2013),Atropos  (16-06-2013),babycake  (16-06-2013),HollyGolightly81  (16-06-2013),orlyon  (17-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    Have no idea what you're talking about, I went through that whole report and discussed the numbers. I found it cherry-picking that you completely ignored the other numbers and that an increase throughout other countries was a trend, hence explaining Australia's increase.
    The discussion was regarding the recent massive increase in Australia's asylum seeker numbers in recent years.
    Australia's had increased by 36% whilst the world as a whole had only increased 8%. The fact that the US increased by only 3%, or the Nordic countries by 38% is not relevant when discussing what has caused the major jump in Australia. Our numbers should will only change due to a change in push (which would be represented on the global scale) and pull (which would be evident in Australia's numbers) factors. What was I ignoring?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I disagree, it's been a worldwide trend, many countries are in turmoil which means more people seeking asylum worldwide which explains why Australia saw an increase (I can't remember the exact number I quoted before but it was four thousand--something). I believe the number is on track with the worldwide trend. And as I quoted before, Australia still received a pretty low number of asylum seekers compared to other industrialized nations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Many refugees are coming from Afghanistan, considering we took part in an invasion of their country I think Australia owes then safe harbour. When have the Nordic countries invaded anyone?

Get off your high horse Father. We all come from boat people or immigrants...unless one is indigenous it's a bit arrogant to complain.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to orlyon For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-06-2013),Lillynix  (17-06-2013),MilkingMaid  (18-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by orlyon View Post
    Many refugees are coming from Afghanistan, considering we took part in an invasion of their country I think Australia owes then safe harbour. When have the Nordic countries invaded anyone?

Get off your high horse Father. We all come from boat people or immigrants...unless one is indigenous it's a bit arrogant to complain.
    I agree with you, but just an FYI that some Scandinavian countries have gone to Afghanistan with us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    I disagree, it's been a worldwide trend, many countries are in turmoil which means more people seeking asylum worldwide which explains why Australia saw an increase (I can't remember the exact number I quoted before but it was four thousand--something). I believe the number is on track with the worldwide trend. And as I quoted before, Australia still received a pretty low number of asylum seekers compared to other industrialized nations.
    Yes, there has been an increase worldwide. But only by 8%. Our numbers have increased by 36% (and they were last years figures, this year will be even more). I do not know how to make it any more clear.

The worldwide increase is 8%.
    The Australian increase is 36%.

So no, Australian numbers did not increase due to a global trend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by orlyon View Post
    Not sure why I am on a high horse.
    Do you think that the doors should be wide open and anyone can come for whatever reason they choose?

Thanks
    Reviews
    37% equated to 4300 more applicants. The worlds increase of 8% equated to 95,860 more asylum seekers (479,300 total). Of that almost 100 thousand more, Australia received 4300 more (a total of 15,800 out of 479,300), Germany received 64,500.

I'm not understanding why, when the whole world has seen an increase due to increased worldwide turmoil, it is hard to grasp Australia's increase? Which is low compared to other industrialized nations. If you read back, We discussed how for many, Australia is the first safe nation that many come to.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 17-06-2013 at 12:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    More Somalis inbound?

PEOPLE-SMUGGLERS in Kenya and Somalia are telling Somalis seeking asylum they can easily get them to Australia through Malaysia and Indonesia. Australian Somali Association president Abdullahi Farah said he had been expecting an influx of Somalis arriving by boat as the message of an Australian option grew.

It comes as a woman was found dead on an asylum-seeker boat carrying about 60 Africans and people from the Middle East after it was stopped by HMAS Warramunga east-northeast of Christmas Island on Saturday.
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226664753681

Oh, but it's from The Australian, so Babycake must think it is false or some conspiracy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Australia is a signatory to the refugee convention, we are obliged to welcome asylum seekers and refugees. If you don't like it Father, if you think we are too 'full' why don't you take off and make some room.

Zero tolerance for racism and bigotry.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to orlyon For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-06-2013)