+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Well I was actually going to watch the go back to where you came from thing tonight but my computer has crapped itself.
    I was thinking about it as well, I missed it last time and DH has just left for the night for Geelong's first night game (exciting...)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Just want to say that even more asylum seekers will be coming once troops are withdrawn from Afghanistan. The situation there will be even more desperate.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2013),Busy-Bee  (01-06-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (03-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I quite liked the episode with Angry Anderson in it. He was *really* against boat people and was very set in his ways, needless to say it all changed when he saw what these people went through.

I would be interested to hear what other peoples definition of safe is;

To me safe means free from persecution.

Malaysia is not safe, Thailand is not safe
    ;

Thailand and Malaysia remain among the top rankings of countries with the worst refugee treatment, according to the latest report by the US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI).

Other “worst places for refugees,” include South Africa, Gaza, Kenya, Egypt and Turkey.

According to the report, “Malaysian immigration officials continued to sell deportees to gangs that operate along the Malaysia-Thailand border. The gang members extort bribes from the deportees in exchange for smuggling them back into Malaysia and sell those who cannot pay into slavery. Men frequently end up on Thai fishing boats, women in brothels, and children with gangs who exploit child beggars.”

It also says that “when Thailand’s navy intercepted boats carrying a reported 992 Myanmarese Rohingya in December, they detained the already weak and hungry refugees and reportedly kicked and beat them. They then forced them back onto their unseaworthy boats, towed them out to sea, and abandoned them without engines and scant food or water.”

5. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (01-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Father, re the Legality of asylum seekers arriving here on boats;

Asylum seekers irrespective of their mode of arrival, like others that arrive in Australia without a valid visa, are classified by Australian law to be ‘unlawful non‐citizens’. However, the term ‘unlawful’ does not mean that asylum seekers have committed a criminal offence. There is no offence under Australian law that criminalises the act of arriving in Australia or the seeking of asylum without a valid visa. - Department of Parliamentary Services.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (01-06-2013),Kirst33  (01-06-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (03-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Has anyone at least attempted to answer my question as to why there has been such a large increase in refugee applications in Australia when compared to the rest of the globe?

The UNHCR report is here with all the numbers.
    http://www.unhcr.org/5149b81e9.html
    I'm reading through...

The world had 8% increase. That 8% increase has been dispersed around the world this way:

USA: 10% increase. Scandinavia 38% increase. Europe a 9% increase but Southern Europe a 27% decrease due to a change in North Africa. North America as a whole 3% increase with Canada down by 19%. Japan and Republic of Korea a 28% increase. Australia a 37% increase.

Australia is not the only country/area to see an increase in asylum seekers so what really is your point?

ETA: Australia's 37% increase equates to 4,300 more applications than the previous year (11,800 to 16,100 in Aus and NZ).

Considering the instability around the world and the increase in many other countries does this number not seem reasonable?
    Last edited by Kirst33; 01-06-2013 at 19:35.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2013),BigRedV  (01-06-2013),Lillynix  (16-06-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (03-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I quite liked the episode with Angry Anderson in it. He was *really* against boat people and was very set in his ways, needless to say it all changed when he saw what these people went through.

I would be interested to hear what other peoples definition of safe is;

To me safe means free from persecution.

Malaysia is not safe, Thailand is not safe
    ;

Thailand and Malaysia remain among the top rankings of countries with the worst refugee treatment, according to the latest report by the US Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI).

Other “worst places for refugees,” include South Africa, Gaza, Kenya, Egypt and Turkey.

According to the report, “Malaysian immigration officials continued to sell deportees to gangs that operate along the Malaysia-Thailand border. The gang members extort bribes from the deportees in exchange for smuggling them back into Malaysia and sell those who cannot pay into slavery. Men frequently end up on Thai fishing boats, women in brothels, and children with gangs who exploit child beggars.”

It also says that “when Thailand’s navy intercepted boats carrying a reported 992 Myanmarese Rohingya in December, they detained the already weak and hungry refugees and reportedly kicked and beat them. They then forced them back onto their unseaworthy boats, towed them out to sea, and abandoned them without engines and scant food or water.”
    Information like this is useful.

Some have concerns that refugees country shop from one safe country to another on their way to Australia. This information helps answer those concerns.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (01-06-2013),beebs  (01-06-2013),risfaerie  (02-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I know. I guess at the end of the day. If I were fleeing for my and my families life, I would like to know, that when I got to my final destination that we would have a chance of a life. That my kids could get an education, that we would be treated like human beings etc.

I hear things like Country shopping, and I honestly can't get my head around it. Some of the countries that people suggest that refugees should stay in have appalling human rights records.

For example, if people are fleeing North Korea, and are caught by chinese officials, China sends them back to North Korea even though it means certain death for those people.

Indonesia;

THE Australian government is seeking clarification from Indonesia about the apparent fatal beating and torture of an Afghan asylum-seeker at a West Borneo detention centre.

Taqi Nequyee, aged 28, was found dead in an isolation cell at Pontianak immigration detention centre on Tuesday morning.

His death was "most likely caused by officers", Ageng Pribadi, head of the centre, told The Australian yesterday

Mr Nequyee had been held in the isolation cell with two other detainees since they were recaptured on Sunday after an escape the previous day, Mr Ageng said.

The dead man was registered as an asylum-seeker with the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, which is "seriously troubled by the turn of events", according to a statement issued last night.

He had applied for refugee status but had been in custody since at least early November for breaching travel restrictions imposed on asylum-seekers.

While asylum-seeker deaths in Indonesian custody are highly unusual, escapees are commonly beaten when they are recaptured.

"I was told by the human rights groups over there that it's an open secret that if anybody was caught running away, they put them in solitary and beat them," said Australian refugee advocate Pamela Curr, of the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre.

Mr Nequyee's body showed evidence of severe beating and torture and he was manacled at the wrists.

"We're aware of the reports and they are concerning," a spokesman for Immigration Minister Chris Bowen said. "We are in close contact with our Indonesian counterparts."

Referring to the opposition's policy of returning seaworthy asylum boats from Australian waters to Indonesia, he added: "We're not the ones (with) a policy of returning asylum-seekers to Indonesia without protection."

The opposition's immigration spokesman, Scott Morrison, slammed the minister for his spokesman's comments. "I think it's a disgraceful and distasteful politicisation of what is a very serious and disturbing event."

He said Mr Bowen should discipline the spokesman for his "irresponsible remark".

No suspects had been named in the death by last night and Mr Ageng said police were being kept informed while the Immigration Department completed an internal investigation.

Two inmates who were in the cell where Mr Nequyee died remained in hospital yesterday with unspecified injuries.

Six detainees broke out of the centre early on Sunday. Mr Nequyee and two others were arrested the following day and placed in an isolation cell where Mr Ageng said there was an incident about 1am on Tuesday.

"They fought against the guards, so it seems they were trying to run away again."

The UNHCR called on Indonesian authorities for a "swift and thorough investigation".

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Information like this is useful.

Some have concerns that refugees country shop from one safe country to another on their way to Australia. This information helps answer those concerns.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (01-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I added this to my figures above but it was a late edit so I'll include it here:

Australia's 37% increase equates to 4,300 more applications than the previous year (11,800 to 16,100 in Aus and NZ).

Considering the instability around the world and the increase in many other countries (see my post above) does this number not seem reasonable?

ETA: Australia is actually barely mentioned throughout UNHCR report. I assume this is because Australia takes a low amount of the world's asylum seekers.

'The number of asylum-seekers in Australia and New Zealand increased by 36 per cent during 2012 (16,100 claims) compared to the previous year (11,800). In Australia, a total of 15,800 claims were registered, up 37 per cent from 2011. (11) One third of asylum-seekers in Australia originate from Afghanistan or Sri Lanka. However, by comparison, asylum levels in Australia continue to remain below those recorded by many other industrialized and non-industrialized nations.'
    Last edited by Kirst33; 01-06-2013 at 19:34.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2013),Dreamscapezd  (02-06-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (03-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (02-06-2013),BlissedOut  (02-06-2013),ChickyBee  (02-06-2013),Dreamscapezd  (02-06-2013),Kirst33  (02-06-2013),lambjam  (02-06-2013),orlyon  (03-06-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (03-06-2013)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post

There has been an increase in 'unauthorized' (by boat) asylum seekers the past couple years and 'authorized' arrivals has stayed about the same. BUT 'unauthorized' asylum seekers are found to be genuine refugees MUCH more often then 'authorized' asylum seekers.
    Just to add to what has been said here, the Migration Act calls boat arrivals : irregular maritime arrival.

I have done several essays on refugees and asylum seekers which meant reading the Migration Act over and over (as well as a ton of other stuff). However, it may have been changed since the last time I looked at it, you never know.