+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 243
  1. #171
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,690
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    Why the need to always turn these threads into a quiz show, where only those willing to answer your questions are welcome?
    I think both sides are asking questions and making demands. "Explain this" or "watch that or I won't debate you."

  2. #172
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,690
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    I didn't say anyone on bub hub said it.
    True.. I was wondering if anyone in real life is bold enough to say stuff like that publicly...

  3. #173
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,272
    Thanks
    946
    Thanked
    1,022
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry my wifi won't let me sign into bubhub for some reason...

    I'm sorry father, but I'm not an asylum seeker, I don't know they're specific circumstances or resources or abilities (neither do you) so I cannot comment on your above post. We all can only assume their circumstances and reasons. I'm sure you have a specific answer you want or feel is right to your question so why don't you answer it?

    This is a great website from Aug. 2012:
    http://blog.getup.org.au/2012/08/29/...-to-australia/

    46.2% of those that arrived by boat in 2011 were from Afghanistan. 2011 was also the deadliest year of war-related violence in Afghanistan.

    18% were from Iran where 1000's of people are unjustly imprisoned and torture of political prisoners is common.

    11% were Iraqi where 100's of civilians are killed and injured each month and 1000's of people are displaced without access to clean water, electricity or sanitation.

    8.6% were from Sri Lanka where 7000 people have been imprisoned without trial and refused access to Red Cross. The government also continues to carry out enforced disappearances and torture.

    Although Australia is in the top three countries for resettling refugees it actually receives a small proportion of the world's asylum seekers. In 2011 Australia received 11,500 claims, 2.6% of the 441,300 asylum applications received by industrialized countries in 2011.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 01-06-2013 at 10:51.

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (01-06-2013),BigRedV  (01-06-2013),MrJones&Me  (01-06-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (01-06-2013)

  5. #174
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,272
    Thanks
    946
    Thanked
    1,022
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I think both sides are asking questions and making demands. "Explain this" or "watch that or I won't debate you."
    There have been comments of 'I won't debate you unless...' But haven't seen anyone else ask questions that obviously have a specific answer they will consider 'worthy.' I feel it's mostly been opinions, stories, and facts.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 01-06-2013 at 10:57.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (01-06-2013)

  7. #175
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,272
    Thanks
    946
    Thanked
    1,022
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Because there's been so much talk about 'Go Back To Where You Came From,' I though I'd post the link to it:

    http://www.sbs.com.au/goback/

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (01-06-2013),Busy-Bee  (01-06-2013),MrJones&Me  (01-06-2013)

  9. #176
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,292
    Thanks
    409
    Thanked
    752
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    I just hate when Caucasian Australians tell other various skin coloured Australians to "get back on the boat they came from" because how did white people get here...
    I find this kind of thinking just as racist and derogatory as any comment from a Caucasian person about someone else 'getting back on a boat'. You seem to assume that all white people came here as British convicts?
    People from Lithuania are generally 'Caucasian', would you suggest the pp's family 'get back on their boat?'
    I'm first generation Australian - both my maternal and paternal families migrated to Australia so I'm white, but no I didn't get here on a boat.
    For goodness sake, even aboriginals came here by boat from Asia!

    Maybe we should ALL go back to where we came from and leave Australia empty as clearly no one has the right to be here in your mind?

    I personally hate it when someone of ANY race says something as rude as your post above, not just when it comes from a Caucasian (so yes, I also find it offensive when it comes from an aboriginal person!)

  10. #177
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    … the higher number of people taking dangerous and exploitative sea journeys is a symptom of the grave human insecurity that refugees face at home and the risks they are compelled to take to find safety for their families. It is no coincidence that most boat people come from Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran and Sri Lanka - places that are suffering, or have recently emerged, from long periods of serious human insecurity.[14]

    This is from Parliament Australia, there is no conspiracy Father, there is no secrets -the fact is that the world is becoming more unstable every day, there are MORE wars now than there were a few years ago. Syria, Lebanon, Egypt etc. I suggest you need to do more reading on the subject.

    You claim to know so much, but clearly don't know much at all and want everyone else to do the research for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    No. How old is it?

    If you deem that documentary such a great 'research' tool, then surely you should be able to answer my question. Why such a big increase?

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Kirst33  (01-06-2013)

  12. #178
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    If you would rather believe that all those who arrive illegally by boat are innocent people fleeing persecution, then good for you.
    But as a rational person, I cannot ignore the facts that people are arriving illegally (yes it is illegal according to the migration act) and taking advantage of genuine refugees for their own personal and economic benefit.
    It is not illegal - Fail again. It's really hard debating with someone who refuses to learn anything, even when they are wrong.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Kirst33  (01-06-2013)

  14. #179
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You do realise that you can't just look at the immigration act right? You have to take into consideration Immigration regulations and policy as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    What a ridiculous argument. Do you have 'so much space' in Melbourne where you are from? Or do you expect them all to live in the the areas that are empty at the moment?
    Are we building the infrastructure at the required rate? No.
    Current immigration rates result in a population increase equivalent to a city the size of Adelaide every three years! We are not building that fast.

    This is not about immigration rates. It is about illegal immigration. It is illegal to arrive in this country without a visa. I have provided a reference for this law, and have not seen a reference to show otherwise.



    As I said, I don't really have the time. I would rather spend it with my kids than watching an SBS documentary. But, I will let you know if I do.
    I strongly urge you to watch the Bolt report tomorrow with Scott Morrison on it. You might learn some facts which might aid in balancing out your 100% emotional argument.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Kirst33  (01-06-2013)

  16. #180
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,272
    Thanks
    946
    Thanked
    1,022
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just noticed one of my posts from my first one when I commented about DH finding a graph didn't post.

    There has been an increase in 'unauthorized' (by boat) asylum seekers the past couple years and 'authorized' arrivals has stayed about the same. BUT 'unauthorized' asylum seekers are found to be genuine refugees MUCH more often then 'authorized' asylum seekers.

    I agree with Beebs post above. The means by which many are arriving, to me, speaks volumes of the desperation of their circumstances (as my post above explained).

    I'll try to find the link for my second paragraph. I know it was on www.refugeecouncil.org.au but I will have to try and find the exact link.
    Last edited by Kirst33; 01-06-2013 at 12:38.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (01-06-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Seeking others in the same boat!
    By luckybuba in forum Non-IVF fertility assistance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-07-2012, 23:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Xmas with a NEW Fridge-to-go Lunch Bag! Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Fridge-to-go 8 hour cooler bags are ideal under the Christmas tree! Now in modern lunch bag designs - fill them with toys and chocolate to make parents and kids happy! Stay super cool and eat healthy and fresh food all summer long!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Sudocrem / Infacol
Sudocrem® Healing Cream is a soothing emollient cream which aids and assists in the management of nappy rash, eczema, abrasions, wounds and minor skin irritations. Infacol Wind Drops are an effective method of treating wind in infants.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!