+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    When I get some time I may watch it. But I honestly don't think it would change anything with how I view this issue.
    You clearly are focused only on the emotional aspects, and are completely ignoring important facts as to what is actually happening.

Whilst I have a great deal of compassion for genuine refugees (despite the assumptions that people on this forum make about me), I am not blind to the fact that people are taking advantage of our system
    God forbid that people are focused on the emotional aspect of a humanitarian issue. Out of interest, can you please clarify what "important facts as to what is actually happening" that you are referring to.

And do you have the same feeling toward the thousands of people (specifically those who you would deem legally living here) who take advantage of and rort the system when it comes to Centrelink, WorkCover and other similar organisations? Because there are plenty of them around.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2013),Busy-Bee  (01-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    God forbid that people are focused on the emotional aspect of a humanitarian issue. Out of interest, can you please clarify what "important facts as to what is actually happening" that you are referring to.
    I have posted it many times. Refugee applications have increased by 8% globally. Whilst applications have increased by 36% in Australia. It is not as though we are the easiest country geographically to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    And do you have the same feeling toward the thousands of people (specifically those who you would deem legally living here) who take advantage of and rort the system when it comes to Centrelink, WorkCover and other similar organisations? Because there are plenty of them around.
    Absolutely, yes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe it's because we have so much space?

I strongly urge you to watch the SBS doco. I would genuinely like to discuss it with you afterwards. There are two seasons - the first one is the best.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Maybe it's because we have so much space?
    What a ridiculous argument. Do you have 'so much space' in Melbourne where you are from? Or do you expect them all to live in the the areas that are empty at the moment?
    Are we building the infrastructure at the required rate? No.
    Current immigration rates result in a population increase equivalent to a city the size of Adelaide every three years! We are not building that fast.

This is not about immigration rates. It is about illegal immigration. It is illegal to arrive in this country without a visa. I have provided a reference for this law, and have not seen a reference to show otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I strongly urge you to watch the SBS doco. I would genuinely like to discuss it with you afterwards. There are two seasons - the first one is the best.
    As I said, I don't really have the time. I would rather spend it with my kids than watching an SBS documentary. But, I will let you know if I do.
    I strongly urge you to watch the Bolt report tomorrow with Scott Morrison on it. You might learn some facts which might aid in balancing out your 100% emotional argument.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have posted it many times. Refugee applications have increased by 8% globally. Whilst applications have increased by 36% in Australia. It is not as though we are the easiest country geographically to get to.

Absolutely, yes!
    A few reasons:

--Australia's economy has remained strong while other western nations have struggled the past few years. Making it more desirable or the best choice.

---geographically it is easier for some countries (Sri Lanka). Coming by boat is easier (for people smugglers) as heading the other way towards Europe means there are many boarders to try to cross.

--- people smugglers lying. There was a piece on 60 minutes about a month or so ago where they interviewed two Sri Lankans (in Sri Lanka) that had been turned away. They had been told by the smugglers all the opportunities Australia had and that Australia had an 'open door.' Wanting a better life they sold all their possessions to afford the trip to Australia we intercepted and sent back, to nothing...

--more smugglers trying to make a buck, convincing more people how amazing Australia is and that our door is open.

Hang on, my husband's found a graph he wants to explain to me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Has anyone at least attempted to answer my question as to why there has been such a large increase in refugee applications in Australia when compared to the rest of the globe?
    Why the need to always turn these threads into a quiz show, where only those willing to answer your questions are welcome?

I suspect the Father correct answer to the above question is clearly the current labor policy.

If this was correct then you would also expect that the majority of the the 'boat people' would be found not to be genuine refugees. From the stats quoted at the beginning of this thread (9 out of 10 arriving by boat in Australia are subsequently granted visas) that is clearly not the case.

Now I agree we should be doing something to stop people arriving by boat. It is completely inhumane to expect people to risk life and limb to cross miles of ocean in an attempt to seek refuge. It is also a waste of resources to have our navy and customs out picking up these boats, when they should be protecting our borders from real threats such as illegal fisherman or drug smugglers.

I would guess that Father's answer is just to not let anyone in (well unless they're white and on a 457 visa), surely the answer is to find a better way to allow people to claim asylum before needing to get on a leaky old boat and pay ridiculous amount of money to dodgy people smugglers?

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2013),Busy-Bee  (01-06-2013),Kirst33  (01-06-2013),MrJones&Me  (01-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirst33 View Post
    A few reasons:

--Australia's economy has remained strong while other western nations have struggled the past few years. Making it more desirable or the best choice.
    More desirable? Best choice? If they are fleeing persecution, every option should be a suitable choice. They should not be country shopping.

---geographically it is easier for some countries (Sri Lanka). Coming by boat is easier (for people smugglers) as heading the other way towards Europe means there are many boarders to try to cross.
    Many borders to cross? This is in contravention to the Refugee convention. A refugee is supposed to claim asylum in the first safe country they arrive. They should not be crossing 'many borders'.

--- people smugglers lying. There was a piece on 60 minutes about a month or so ago where they interviewed two Sri Lankans (in Sri Lanka) that had been turned away. They had been told by the smugglers all the opportunities Australia had and that Australia had an 'open door.' Wanting a better life they sold all their possessions to afford the trip to Australia we intercepted and sent back, to nothing...
    Why are they dealing with smugglers at all? Is it a requirement of the refugee convention that they must use a smuggler? I understand why they would use one if they were country shopping - which is not the intent of the Refugee Convention.

--more smugglers trying to make a buck, convincing more people how amazing Australia is and that our door is open.
    Yep. That is why a message needs to be sent. The door needs to close, so that we can take refugees from camps around the world where they have been waiting for years without $1000s in their pockets to pay for a boat. Or even more (than the more than 1000) people will die at sea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sigh Father I was being to tongue in cheek.

But still, when you compare the amount of people to size of land to the UK... Well it's pretty clear we have more space.

I will try and watch it. I also have a son I like to spend time with but will do so once he is asleep. Which is when you could watch the SBS one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This doesn't faze/bother/frighten/concern/threaten/upset me in the least. I guess it comes down to perception about what people will consider issues. I don't consider this an issue. The issue for me is the amount of horror in the world that leaves people with no choice but to die or flee.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2013),BigRedV  (01-06-2013),Elijahs Mum  (01-06-2013),Kirst33  (01-06-2013),kw123  (01-06-2013),MilkingMaid  (14-06-2013),MrJones&Me  (01-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Who has said that?
    I didn't say anyone on bub hub said it.