+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Well I said I'd come back and tell my mum's story...

My mum was born in April 1944 in Lithuania. At the time, she was the youngest of 4 children and she was a very sick baby who was not expected to live. Because she was so sick, her 2 year old brother was being looked after by his grandparents so my mum could be taken care of. War broke out in the town and everyone had to escape immediately. Once my mum's parents and the two eldest children had reached safety out of the town, my mum's dad went to the village to get my uncle (the 2 year old) but he was told the village was burnt down and that nobody survived, so they had to keep going to get to safety. There was a mass exodus of people out of the country. My mother's parents WALKED with 2 small children and a baby from Lithuania to Germany. A journey that was well over 1000km. Upon arrival in Germany, my mum and her parents and brother and sister stayed in a refugee camp for 5 years and in 1949, boarded a boat that came to Australia. My mum is one of ten children. Some of my aunties and uncles were born in the refugee camp, and some were born here.

After 12 years, my mum's mum heard that the 2 year old had survived. My uncle still lives in Lithuania to this day. He's been to Australia twice, and I've been to Lithuania to visit him and my cousins.

The issue of asylum seekers and refugees is one very close to my heart.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (31-05-2013),beebs  (31-05-2013),Busy-Bee  (31-05-2013),Chunkydunks  (31-05-2013),dancingchipmunk  (31-05-2013),FearlessLeader  (31-05-2013),HLE  (31-05-2013),MilkingMaid  (14-06-2013),Moxy  (31-05-2013),MrJones&Me  (01-06-2013),peoniesarepretty  (01-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Has anyone at least attempted to answer my question as to why there has been such a large increase in refugee applications in Australia when compared to the rest of the globe?

The UNHCR report is here with all the numbers.
    http://www.unhcr.org/5149b81e9.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Has anyone at least attempted to answer my question as to why there has been such a large increase in refugee applications in Australia when compared to the rest of the globe?

The UNHCR report is here with all the numbers.
    <a href="http://www.unhcr.org/5149b81e9.html" target="_blank">http://www.unhcr.org/5149b81e9.html</a>
    Have you answered whether you have or will watch Back To Where You Come From?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Have you answered whether you have or will watch Back To Where You Come From?
    No. How old is it?

If you deem that documentary such a great 'research' tool, then surely you should be able to answer my question. Why such a big increase?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well I said I'd come back and tell my mum's story...

My mum was born in April 1944 in Lithuania. At the time, she was the youngest of 4 children and she was a very sick baby who was not expected to live. Because she was so sick, her 2 year old brother was being looked after by his grandparents so my mum could be taken care of. War broke out in the town and everyone had to escape immediately. Once my mum's parents and the two eldest children had reached safety out of the town, my mum's dad went to the village to get my uncle (the 2 year old) but he was told the village was burnt down and that nobody survived, so they had to keep going to get to safety. There was a mass exodus of people out of the country. My mother's parents WALKED with 2 small children and a baby from Lithuania to Germany. A journey that was well over 1000km. Upon arrival in Germany, my mum and her parents and brother and sister stayed in a refugee camp for 5 years and in 1949, boarded a boat that came to Australia. My mum is one of ten children. Some of my aunties and uncles were born in the refugee camp, and some were born here.

After 12 years, my mum's mum heard that the 2 year old had survived. My uncle still lives in Lithuania to this day. He's been to Australia twice, and I've been to Lithuania to visit him and my cousins.

The issue of asylum seekers and refugees is one very close to my heart.
    Thanks for sharing your mothers story

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    No. How old is it?

If you deem that documentary such a great 'research' tool, then surely you should be able to answer my question. Why such a big increase?
    It was shown last year.

In all honesty I can't answer your question and won't pretend to know the answer. I can tell you that I don't give a **** about the reasons why. They all still have reasons to flee and we have enough space and take a tiny amount compared to other western countries.

Watch it. With an open heart. It might make you focus less on "facts" and graphs and more on the human element of things.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2013),MrJones&Me  (01-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just hate when Caucasian Australians tell other various skin coloured Australians to "get back on the boat they came from" because how did white people get here...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nazgul For This Useful Post:

beebs  (01-06-2013),BlissedOut  (02-06-2013),MrJones&Me  (01-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
    I just hate when Caucasian Australians tell other various skin coloured Australians to "get back on the boat they came from" because how did white people get here...
    Who has said that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingchipmunk View Post
    Thanks for sharing your mothers story
    Yes thanks BigRed for sharing your mothers story. What a heartbreaking thing for the poor 2 year old to be separated from his parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Watch it. With an open heart. It might make you focus less on "facts" and graphs and more on the human element of things.
    When I get some time I may watch it. But I honestly don't think it would change anything with how I view this issue.
    You clearly are focused only on the emotional aspects, and are completely ignoring important facts as to what is actually happening.
    I heard on the ABC radio today, during a report on community detention, a lady say "if I had of known it was going to be so strict here, I never would have come".
    Whilst I have a great deal of compassion for genuine refugees (despite the assumptions that people on this forum make about me), I am not blind to the fact that people are taking advantage of our system.
    I can not see how this lady could be a genuine refugee if she honestly feels that she shouldn't have come here.
    I would have expected that a genuine refugee would be counting their lucky stars that they made it to a safe place, and being in Australia is even more of a bonus.

If you would rather believe that all those who arrive illegally by boat are innocent people fleeing persecution, then good for you.
    But as a rational person, I cannot ignore the facts that people are arriving illegally (yes it is illegal according to the migration act) and taking advantage of genuine refugees for their own personal and economic benefit.
    Last edited by Father; 31-05-2013 at 23:01. Reason: grammar

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (31-05-2013)