+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meags82 View Post
    After having worked in a refugee camp and have seen the trauma these families live through if half of what they say is true they deserve our love and acceptance. They do not come here and get handed riches like many people suggest. The detention/processing centres are basic- very basic. And the ones that are released into the community whilst they await processing live off the same amount as people on unemployment benefits- however they are not allowed to work whilst they are being processed. I do some volunteer work with a group that helps hook up refugee families with services- when we get involved we will usually find the family living in a small
    1-2 bed unit with no furniture or appliances. If they are lucky they have a mattress on the floor- however 90% never ask for help- we go in and help with donated furniture, clothing and essentials (pots, pans, crockery, cutlery) school uniforms and food etc. of course there are the bad few that are milking the system but as a whole these people have lived through hell and are trying to give their kids a better life.
    ... and that's the nice side of things, aren't the ones in the offshore processing facilities living in tents?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    She was saying the same thing, that there are more visa overstayers than boat people.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Umm, there are a few thousand asylum seekers that are always in the news, yet up to 100,000 people working illegally in Australia! This is fact, not scare mongering.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm just curious, why do I have any more right to immigrate to Australia than somebody from a war torn country seeking asylum for very valid reasons?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2013),ChickyBee  (31-05-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa20588 View Post
    To answer the question of why do some have a problem with it, I'm going to add my personal opinion. I have no problem with refugees coming and claiming status, but what annoys me is the amount that they complain. They complain that they are being locked up while their status, health, and criminal checks are done. They have medical services within 72hrs of arriving, they are fed, they are provided with somewhere to sleep. Yes it might be harsh and not nice, but surely if your escaping a war torn country, fleeing from persecution etc. then a detention centre has got to be better, while things get sorted?

I know others have addressed why this is such a heartless sentiment, and I'm not going to get into this debate, but I will say this-
    If either of my children had so very little empathy for others that they would think this way, I would be deeply, deeply ashamed of them. They are not 'complaining', they are very often killing themselves due to everything they've been through.
    If you were mugged in the street, taken and held against your will and repeatedly raped and beaten then somehow escaped your ordeal only to be thrown in a cell and not have your story believed, I am sure you would complain, despite the fact that they were better circumstances.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2013),kw123  (31-05-2013),MilkingMaid  (14-06-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The rates of suicide attempts and self harm in detention centres are huge, and it includes children.

And people think that whinging is the worst thing? Don't forget, most of these people do get granted refugee visas - it is in our best interest that they are mentally well. Long term detention has been shown to increase the rate of mental illness and PTSD in those who are there.

The UNHCR, Amnesty and the President of the AUstralian Human rights commission and other agencies say that Australia breaches the UNHCR Human rights convention with out detention policies, that right there should be an indicator of how bad it really is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I think it actually must be because they aren't from the western world.

THere are far more illegal overstayers who are here than boat people, but most of them are from England, Ireland and the USA, they don't pay any tax, cash in hand etc. But no one cares, no one ever jumps up and down regarding them screaming "they are stealing our jobs".

What other conclusion could possibly be drawn from that than it is more about race than visas??
    Yeah, I agree.

I have absolutely no doubt that if there were some horrible war in England or NZ we'd be flying people here in a heartbeat.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa20588 View Post
    To answer the question of why do some have a problem with it, I'm going to add my personal opinion. I have no problem with refugees coming and claiming status, but what annoys me is the amount that they complain. They complain that they are being locked up while their status, health, and criminal checks are done. They have medical services within 72hrs of arriving, they are fed, they are provided with somewhere to sleep. Yes it might be harsh and not nice, but surely if your escaping a war torn country, fleeing from persecution etc. then a detention centre has got to be better, while things get sorted?
    So... Because they're treated like sh1t and sub human and they dont bow down and thank us, but actually exercise their rights as humans to say the conditions they're kept in are unacceptable? That's why you have a problem with them?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2013),risfaerie  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    ... and that's the nice side of things, aren't the ones in the offshore processing facilities living in tents?
    Media dramatisation goes both ways, the right wing can ham it up just as much as the left.

I spent 2006-2012 doing fly in fly out work to Christmas and Cocos Island. Some of the accommodation at the IPC (Immigration Processing Centre) was better than the sh*t I got put in as a gov employee.
    The 'tents' referred to are airconditioned, fully enclosed, marquee style 'tents'. Similar to what soldiers live in when deployed.

Don't misinterpret this as an anti-asylum seeker vent, I've stated earlier in this thread that Australia needs to increase its intake (IMO) but I hate exaggeration from either side (not directed at you BlissedOut)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

Father  (31-05-2013),VicPark  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Some processing facilities won't allow media access - so we don't even know what the conditions a like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That may be true, but what about Manus Island? Christmas Island is in Australia, but when we have offshore processing that involves different countries then things change. There have been many reports saying there is no air-conditioning on Manus - and DIAC has even admitted it.

When you were working on Christmas Island then did you see evidence of the high rate of self harm on the Island? What are your thoughts on that? There is proof that long term detention causes PTSD and mental illness in people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    Media dramatisation goes both ways, the right wing can ham it up just as much as the left.

I spent 2006-2012 doing fly in fly out work to Christmas and Cocos Island. Some of the accommodation at the IPC (Immigration Processing Centre) was better than the sh*t I got put in as a gov employee.
    The 'tents' referred to are airconditioned, fully enclosed, marquee style 'tents'. Similar to what soldiers live in when deployed.

Don't misinterpret this as an anti-asylum seeker vent, I've stated earlier in this thread that Australia needs to increase its intake (IMO) but I hate exaggeration from either side (not directed at you BlissedOut)