+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I will come back later and tell my mum's story, but I have posted links, yet people still want to believe the hype on the news or in the newspapers or trashy current affairs programs.

Same people posting the same thing from a similar thread months ago, where links were posted and other resources were suggested, but despite this, their views haven't changed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Father and VP in particular, will you watch it? If you don't then you clearly just don't WANT to hear it from te other side and have your views possibly changed. If that's the case then at least admit it.

Even if people's views are the same after watching it, I am much more inclined to debate the topic with people who actually bother to take some time to explore the issues.

Gee.. Quite a few assumptions in this post met me clarify.

1. I may watch the video over the next few weeks when I have time. And me not watching it now doesnt mean I dont want to learn. It just means I'm a busy person who doesnt have a lot of free time. I've also prioritized my limited free time and decided that it isn't vital that I watch this video now. After the last thread I learned a lot, read heaps, watched a documentary a poster recommended. And my views did shift somewhat. Watching another video isn't needed to push me towards a point that I think I'm already at.

2. You assume that if someone hasn't watched one video, which you say they should watch, that haven't bothered to explore the issue and arent worth debating. That's as ridiculous as me saying if you haven't read 'ABC', or 'XYZ' That you haven't done your research and aren't worth debating.

3. You assume that because Im saying the way people are behaving to Father is not cool, and because I can see why some are refugee resistant....that I have anti-refugee and have the same views as Father. Big assumption.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (14-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What a load of rubbish more people overstay there visas than arrive in a boat, this is nothing but scaremongering - people really need to check their facts before parroting politicians

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2b87 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2b87 View Post
    What a load of rubbish more people overstay there visas than arrive in a boat, this is nothing but scaremongering - people really need to check their facts before parroting politicians
    Umm, there are a few thousand asylum seekers that are always in the news, yet up to 100,000 people working illegally in Australia! This is fact, not scare mongering.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa20588 View Post
    To answer the question of why do some have a problem with it, I'm going to add my personal opinion. I have no problem with refugees coming and claiming status, but what annoys me is the amount that they complain. They complain that they are being locked up while their status, health, and criminal checks are done. They have medical services within 72hrs of arriving, they are fed, they are provided with somewhere to sleep. Yes it might be harsh and not nice, but surely if your escaping a war torn country, fleeing from persecution etc. then a detention centre has got to be better, while things get sorted?
    I have had the privilege of meeting a few asylum seekers who now live in Australia. I worked with several around 2002-2003 also. I never heard any of them complain about what you have alleged that they complain about.

I feel that this concept of whinging, complaining asylum seekers is perpetuated predominantly by our very biased major media outlets. From my very limited personal experience with asylum seekers, most have far more important things to worry about. Like whether or not they will ever see their families again. Whether their parents/children/cousins are safe from life threatening danger.

However, if a genuine asylum seeker were to complain about being detained in what is essentially a prison, what of it? They are not criminals, why treat them as such. Sure they are now safe, but they are also incarcerated. Often for unacceptably long periods of time. People guilty of violent crimes regularly do less time "inside" than some asylum seekers do.

I complain about being stuck in traffic, working shift work, boring phone conversations. Trivial matters. Why on earth would I begrudge an asylum seeker even if they were to have the audacity to complain about their life in detention?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2013),dancingchipmunk  (31-05-2013),FearlessLeader  (31-05-2013),HollyGolightly81  (31-05-2013),peoniesarepretty  (01-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    start giving more of a sh1t about the tens of thousands of people who ILLEGALLY overstay their visas - people from countries like the UK, New Zealand and Canada.
    Just an off topic note, New Zealanders can't 'overstay'.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (31-05-2013),VicPark  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Just an off topic note, New Zealanders can't 'overstay'.
    I stand corrected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Gee.. Quite a few assumptions in this post met me clarify.

1. I may watch the video over the next few weeks when I have time. And me not watching it now doesnt mean I dont want to learn. It just means I'm a busy person who doesnt have a lot of free time. I've also prioritized my limited free time and decided that it isn't vital that I watch this video now. After the last thread I learned a lot, read heaps, watched a documentary a poster recommended. And my views did shift somewhat. Watching another video isn't needed to push me towards a point that I think I'm already at.

2. You assume that if someone hasn't watched one video, which you say they should watch, that haven't bothered to explore the issue and arent worth debating. That's as ridiculous as me saying if you haven't read 'ABC', or 'XYZ' That you haven't done your research and aren't worth debating.

3. You assume that because Im saying the way people are behaving to Father is not cool, and because I can see why some are refugee resistant....that I have anti-refugee and have the same views as Father. Big assumption.
    I admit my post was a bit.... Passionate. So sorry for that.

But that "one video" is really the most significant, impactful thing that I have ever seen on this subject and so for Australians I think it is absolutely essential to see. Nothing else comes close. And it's done in a way that everyone can understand (not talking about you here!).

You might not be as anti-asylum seeker as Father... But you are still more anti-asylum seeker than you should be

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2013),HollyGolightly81  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    After having worked in a refugee camp and have seen the trauma these families live through if half of what they say is true they deserve our love and acceptance. They do not come here and get handed riches like many people suggest. The detention/processing centres are basic- very basic. And the ones that are released into the community whilst they await processing live off the same amount as people on unemployment benefits- however they are not allowed to work whilst they are being processed. I do some volunteer work with a group that helps hook up refugee families with services- when we get involved we will usually find the family living in a small
    1-2 bed unit with no furniture or appliances. If they are lucky they have a mattress on the floor- however 90% never ask for help- we go in and help with donated furniture, clothing and essentials (pots, pans, crockery, cutlery) school uniforms and food etc. of course there are the bad few that are milking the system but as a whole these people have lived through hell and are trying to give their kids a better life.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2013),dancingchipmunk  (31-05-2013),HollyGolightly81  (31-05-2013),MilkingMaid  (14-06-2013),Moxy  (31-05-2013),risfaerie  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What concerns? Like what? Name them and we shall try and address those little inaccurate assumptions.

So far the only one that has been mentioned is that "they all complain too much", and I think Moxy address that very well.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I think y'all are overdramatizing and making up your own versions of why you think people are resistant to refugees.... Being heartless, stupid, nasty, lazy, selfish ..... Your little assumptions are inaccurate ... and vents may make you feel good but in reality they are doing diddly squat for the refugee cause.

If you really want to make a difference (instead of blowing hot air out your butts) then trying to understand where the other side is coming from, anticipating their concerns and addressing them with a credible rebuttal.. Would do a lot to increase understanding. Take this from a hard-*** who actually learns something on here once in a while.

I'm not saying you have to educate others that's fine if you don't want to. And if you want to have a vent that's fine too. But if you are going to start presuming things about others and name call then I think that needs to be called for what it is.