+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it actually must be because they aren't from the western world.

THere are far more illegal overstayers who are here than boat people, but most of them are from England, Ireland and the USA, they don't pay any tax, cash in hand etc. But no one cares, no one ever jumps up and down regarding them screaming "they are stealing our jobs".

What other conclusion could possibly be drawn from that than it is more about race than visas??
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    Ah. So, to put it in a short and simple way "they aren't Australian"?

What a load of nonsense. I can't believe anyone with any kind of compassion or empathy would think that's excusable.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is a good point. Humans really.... Really confuse me. I'm going to go and hide from them now, I think.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

beebs  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    (Face palms self for joining conversation)

Interestingly, on the point of asylum seekers being 'different' to us, this is often based on religion.
    However, most of the Sri Lankan ones who arrive are catholic or Christian which has made people much more sympathetic towards them.

BUT they are the most commonly denied as genuine refugees as they tend to try and claim 'economic asylum' (basically we are too poor to live at home) which is not recognised as a refugee claim under the UNHCR.

My opinion is that Australia needs to seriously step up its intake of refugees. I don't care where they come from, be it Afghanistan or South Sudan. I believe we have much greater capacity to offer relocation to these people than we currently provide.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    (Joins Jellyfishie in facepalming due to joining thread), but a question for anyone who may know.

I've often wondered regarding the economic refugees. I know they're not accepted (hence the higher numbers of Sri Lankans who have been sent back of late). "Too poor to live in our country". I've often mused about what would make someone get on a boat to a foreign land due to economic reasons. This is something we rarely (if ever) see in the media, and it's got me curious. We have some people in Australia (some homeless, living in their cars etc), who believe they're too poor to live in Australia.

Are the economic refugees from other countries leaving from these types of situations? Ie. homelessness, or just trying to make a new start with their family with new opportunities?

And I think this is where the problem comes in with people being opposed to TPV. The TPV is given when someone is a genuine refugee due to coming from a war torn country, but is sent back when the war is over, however, there's not necessarily much of a country to go back to until the country gets rebuilt when people go in (like in East Timor and Afghanistan - where our defence forces have gone in to rebuild schools etc).

Maybe I sound naïve for asking - but are these who the "economic refugees are"?

Thanks
    Reviews
    To answer the question of why do some have a problem with it, I'm going to add my personal opinion. I have no problem with refugees coming and claiming status, but what annoys me is the amount that they complain. They complain that they are being locked up while their status, health, and criminal checks are done. They have medical services within 72hrs of arriving, they are fed, they are provided with somewhere to sleep. Yes it might be harsh and not nice, but surely if your escaping a war torn country, fleeing from persecution etc. then a detention centre has got to be better, while things get sorted?

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to melissa20588 For This Useful Post:

Father  (31-05-2013),Staceyj13  (31-05-2013),VicPark  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OH my god there are some such nasty, selfish people in this world.

To all of you who have a problem with those law breaking, ungrateful, pesky boat people... Go and watch Go Back To Where You Come From. Hopefully you can drag yourself away from The Block or whatever, but it would be a worthwhile investment of your time. And hopefully give you kids a chance of not growing up with the views you currently have. That's what concerns me (I believe those kids will be in the minority though in future and hopefully peer pressure will break the generational racism cycle).

Father and VP in particular, will you watch it? If you don't then you clearly just don't WANT to hear it from te other side and have your views possibly changed. If that's the case then at least admit it.

Even if people's views are the same after watching it, I am much more inclined to debate the topic with people who actually bother to take some time to explore the issues.

**sits backs on hands and apologises for breaking self-imposed rule**

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2013),Busy-Bee  (31-05-2013),MrJones&Me  (01-06-2013),orlyon  (03-06-2013),RobinSparkles  (31-05-2013)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Peg, the situation in Sri Lanka is still not great. The people seeking asylum are mostly Tamil and they are still suffering persecution despite the war ending. I think they are just desperate and have no other way of improving their situations. If they tried to apply for a visa to migrate, firstly they would have trouble actually applying as they can be discriminated against by Sri Lankan officials and they would likely be declined by Australia anyway.

We do have lots of economic migrants come here. Lots of Irish coming out now, mainly for economic reasons.

With the TPV's, initially it was found that this encouraged entire families to get on the boats whereas before they were introduced it was just the men getting on boats and then applying for the rest of the family to come out. This no longer applies though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    subbing. don't have time to read the thread at the moment, but I saw a Father graph so I know I have to get back here and read it quick.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (31-05-2013),beebs  (31-05-2013),FearlessLeader  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa20588 View Post
    To answer the question of why do some have a problem with it, I'm going to add my personal opinion. I have no problem with refugees coming and claiming status, but what annoys me is the amount that they complain. They complain that they are being locked up while their status, health, and criminal checks are done. They have medical services within 72hrs of arriving, they are fed, they are provided with somewhere to sleep. Yes it might be harsh and not nice, but surely if your escaping a war torn country, fleeing from persecution etc. then a detention centre has got to be better, while things get sorted?
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you haven't actually met or spoken with refugees and are basing this statement about how much "they" complain on the odd news report about the occasional disturbance in detention centers. I challenge you to do some research and reading about the effects of PTSD, cultural assimilation and the difficulties refugees have in adapting to countries where they do not speak the language and where there are enormous cultural differences.

Think for a moment - you've fled a country maybe with or without your children, your husband or wife is presumed dead. You don't know because the last you heard they were being tortured in ways neither you nor I can imagine. You arrive in your new host country but it's certainly not with open arms or with sympathy. You're treated like a criminal even though you haven't done anything wrong. You're locked up for years in a compound where you have no chance for community integration and instead are are the mercy of bureaucratic red tape, and instead of being assumed to be a regular person who just wants to be able to walk to the shops for some food without the risk of being raped or shot, you're assumed to be a criminal who needs to be detained for the safety of your new community.

Let's not even get into the issues refugees face when they get out of detention. Suffice to say it'd be like being teleported without any of your belongings and dropped into a land where you don't know anyone and you don't speak the language and you have no idea whether your family or children are alive. Or even worse, you know they're dead.

Yeah, it's a darn sight better than being killed. But it's hardly a welcome relief either.

Personally I haven't read reports about how much "they" complain. But I'm willing to accept that the odd complaint is probably warranted, especially after years in a detention centre. Hell, I complain all the time and I'm living a middle class, white, privileged life. You're probably better off being pi$$ed off at the likes of me.

17. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (31-05-2013),Busy-Bee  (31-05-2013),dancingchipmunk  (31-05-2013),FearlessLeader  (31-05-2013),kw123  (31-05-2013),Lewbaby  (31-05-2013),MilkingMaid  (14-06-2013),MissMuppet  (31-05-2013),MrJones&Me  (01-06-2013),orlyon  (03-06-2013),peoniesarepretty  (01-06-2013),RastaMouse  (02-06-2013),RobinSparkles  (31-05-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think y'all are overdramatizing and making up your own versions of why you think people are resistant to refugees.... Being heartless, stupid, nasty, lazy, selfish ..... Your little assumptions are inaccurate ... and vents may make you feel good but in reality they are doing diddly squat for the refugee cause.

If you really want to make a difference (instead of blowing hot air out your butts) then trying to understand where the other side is coming from, anticipating their concerns and addressing them with a credible rebuttal.. Would do a lot to increase understanding. Take this from a hard-*** who actually learns something on here once in a while.

I'm not saying you have to educate others that's fine if you don't want to. And if you want to have a vent that's fine too. But if you are going to start presuming things about others and name call then I think that needs to be called for what it is.