+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Not sure... I watched a video after the refugee thread of 6months ago? It was good whatever it was. People probably wont believe me but my views were modified slightly after that last thread. Although I'm still a bit cautious.
    It is a 3 parter. I have only seen the second season - you would probably remember it if you had seen season 2 because it has Angry Anderson and other well known Australians.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Really? This debate again? When will people accept that they don't have the foggiest idea what refugees are fleeing from because we happen to be privileged enough to living a country where being killed or tortured is more unlikely than likely to happen? When will people get it through their thick heads that seeking asylum is f***ing LEGAL. When will people stop giving more of a sh1t about the poxy number of asylum seekers and refugees who come to our country where we have plenty to give, and start giving more of a sh1t about the tens of thousands of people who ILLEGALLY overstay their visas - people from countries like the UK, New Zealand and Canada. You want to get up in arms about illegal activity from people who "shouldn't be in this country"? Get up in arms about that. That's something to be legitimately pi$$ed off about.

And no, I won't provide you with links to articles with numbers and facts and data. Get educated and get it yourself (to the broader "you").

The ignorant, narrow minded, crap that gets spouted every time this topic comes up does my head in. Especially from people who's ancestors invaded this country and arrived on, wait for it, fecking boats.
    Last edited by Moxy; 30-05-2013 at 22:28.

3. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (30-05-2013),Annabella  (30-05-2013),Atropos  (30-05-2013),beebs  (30-05-2013),Busy-Bee  (31-05-2013),Elijahs Mum  (30-05-2013),JustUs3  (30-05-2013),Kirst33  (30-05-2013),kw123  (31-05-2013),Mellybel  (31-05-2013),MilkingMaid  (14-06-2013),misskittyfantastico  (30-05-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (30-05-2013),MrJones&Me  (01-06-2013),risfaerie  (31-05-2013),RobinSparkles  (30-05-2013),smallpotatoes  (14-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with you, the problem is that once people get into the UNHCR refugee camps, only 1 % are resettled each year, rape is a very real problem in these camps and disease just abundant.

Some people actually sell kidneys to get the money to get on the boats, not all of them are rich, just desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Staceyj13 View Post
    I didn't say they were responsible for the boat crashing what I'm trying to say is there must be a better why to help people come to our country a safer way the government might not be able to stop the boats but i would think they could help people come here safer

5. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Firstly, calling Abbott names does not paint you in a good light. Is it so hard to give people some respect?

The wars you mention. They all started long ago, so I think you will struggle connecting them with the recent spike.

And yes, I would say they are nearly putting a "Australia this way" sign up. Community 'detention' is not a good deterrent is it?
    Respect must be earnt. He is yet to earn my respect. Unlikely he ever will.

The wars may have started some time ago but they still continue. The longer they go on the more desperate people get to escape it.

Why do we need a deterrent? We are obliged to help these people. The fact that 9 out of 10 of them are proven to be genuine refugees screams that we should be doing more to help them. Putting them in detention centres for months, more often years, is inhumane as it is. What more would you have the government do to deter them?

Where the asylum seekers end up could well be down to where the smugglers are telling them is a good place to go. Who knows, maybe the main players in the game have connections in Australia. I've heard many stories of the asylum seekers being exploited by the smugglers for years on end after they have arrived in their destination.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't know we are lucky in a sense that were not in a position to need to flee our own country. If I were in their positions I would want out of there ASAP too.

Is it that hard to step into another shoes, to try to understand the horror they deal with, to see why they want out?

Me(21)+DH(25)+DS(4)+DD(2)
    Sent from my ... Using the.... Does it even really matter

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (30-05-2013),Kirst33  (30-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Indonesia hasn't signed the refugee convention. So NO it is not illegal. Please get your facts straight. This is just embrarrassing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Which boats are departing Afghanistan? They are primarily from Indonesia. So yes, it is illegal.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (30-05-2013),Busy-Bee  (31-05-2013),Kirst33  (30-05-2013),MrJones&Me  (01-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Really? This debate again? When will people accept that they don't have the foggiest idea what refugees are fleeing from because we happen to be privileged enough to living a country where being killed or tortured is more unlikely than likely to happen? When will people get it through their thick heads that seeking asylum is f***ing LEGAL. When will people stop giving more of a sh1t about the poxy number of asylum seekers and refugees who come to our country where we have plenty to give, and start giving more of a sh1t about the tens of thousands of people who ILLEGALLY overstay their visas - people from countries like the UK, New Zealand and Canada. You want to get up in arms about illegal activity from people who "shouldn't be in this country"? Get up in arms about that. That's something to be legitimately pi$$ed off about.

And no, I won't provide you with links to articles with numbers and facts and data. Get educated and get it yourself (to the broader "you").

The ignorant, narrow minded, crap that gets spouted every time this topic comes up does my head in. Especially from people who's ancestors invaded this country and arrived on, wait for it, fecking boats.
    You just rocked my world.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirst33 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (30-05-2013),MilkingMaid  (14-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMoosMum View Post
    I don't know we are lucky in a sense that were not in a position to need to flee our own country. If I were in their positions I would want out of there ASAP too.

Is it that hard to step into another shoes, to try to understand the horror they deal with, to see why they want out?

Privilege. There is so much bloody privilege from (some) people in this country and it's simply because they've had the fortune of being born here.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

beebs  (30-05-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (30-05-2013),MrJones&Me  (01-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Privilege. There is so much bloody privilege from (some) people in this country and it's simply because they've had the fortune of being born here.

I'm not doing well with the rule am I? Sitting on hands - except when someone on the internet is wrong. That's a new clause

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

beebs  (30-05-2013),Kirst33  (30-05-2013),kw123  (31-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Yep exactly right