+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have been struggling with the same question of late. But we honestly have no idea who to choose/ask. I have one brother who has a long term partner and they have four kids of their own. Originally I had thought of them because of the relationship we have with their kids and thought it would be good for DS. However recently some stuff has come to light and there is no way I would choose them now.

Dh has two brothers, one lives at home and the other rents with his girlfriend, but neither of them I believe are suitable.

At this point we don't have a clue.

In your situation I would choose your sister as the kids would still be near their friends and family they know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the case you both died I'd be thinking about which option gives the children the least disruption, in which case would be your sister, she lives local being single she could move in with the kids and not the other way around, an she's already involved in their lives. Imagine if after losing both parents the kids had to pack up and move to another state/city/house with someone who they don't see on a daily basis and with other kids in the house which will inevitably bring conflict.
    Why is your husband so set on his sister?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sub - I'd like to hear what others have done too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Funny- the location would be a non-issue for me. These things can change- your sister may decide to relocate internationally. Your SIL may decide to ship the whole family to your location because job prospects are better, she has always liked to life style etc etc. I just don't think it's something you can bank on.

The front runners would be;
    • The kids "knowing" the person, being comfortable with them.
    • The person have similar (ever going to be identical) personality as me. They're the ones that will be shaping my kids future. Would I prefer my children to grow up like this person, or that person?

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is no point wasting money on a lawyer if you have not talked to the potential guardians. I have discussed this with family and made my decision from that. You might choose someone so is hesitant, you don't want that. It is something more people do need to plan though especially single parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From my understanding DOCS has to assess each situation and person, they do t regardless of wills just pass the child to who the parent chooses and docs usually come in and check out the potential family first.
    Both people sound fine tho and should not have an issue, but yes need to ask them etc as they can say no.